BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #45
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

The low speed vibratory rattle I had on mine (as well as a squeaking noise when turning s/wheel) was the bushing on the steering rack where the s/column attaches.

BMW fitted a new rack, as the bushing is integral with the rack, so not cheap if the car is out of warranty.
      01-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #46
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
im on stock 261 18" wheels with 225\35\18 tires.

i dont think it should be a problem, but why does it strain the system so much?
Yeah I don't think it should be a problem either. This never happened on my stock wheels, on any winter wheels, or on my old breytons which were same size as stock, even with slightly larger rubber. Only ever happened with the 19's. Maybe our problem is different? Or maybe we have the same problem, but it's just more pronounced on your car so it happens even with the 18's. Could it be what GeeRam mentioned below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
The low speed vibratory rattle I had on mine (as well as a squeaking noise when turning s/wheel) was the bushing on the steering rack where the s/column attaches.

BMW fitted a new rack, as the bushing is integral with the rack, so not cheap if the car is out of warranty.
That sucks. I've read stories on E90 post and X3 forums, and others have had the issue. Sometimes a new steering rack helped. Other times it didn't at all. Of course I mentioned that last tidbit to BMW and they refused to try to put in a new rack before just blaming the wheels. Ugh.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #47
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

hi speedbike

my problem is not like Geerams, as i dont have any squeeking from the steering wheel
the whole cars just shudders as i turn the wheel about 1\2 degree, and when i turn it little more it relaxes

its like the car tells me "i dont wanna turn there" and then u force it hehe

didnt feel that the steering was heavier or something, it just shakes for a second in 1 mph speed and thats it
      01-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #48
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
hi speedbike

my problem is not like Geerams, as i dont have any squeeking from the steering wheel
the whole cars just shudders as i turn the wheel about 1\2 degree, and when i turn it little more it relaxes
Mine was making the rattling noise for quite a long time (3-4 months) before the squeaking started. I couldn't determine where the rattle wa scoming from, just sounded like it was from the below the trans tunnel somewhere. It was only when the s/wheel squeaking got worse and worse and the steering started feeling funny that I got the dealer to do something.
It was only after it was done, that I realised the vibrating rattle must have been the rack bush as well as it had disappeared after the rack was replaced.
      01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #49
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Seems like there's a lot of confusing but I'll try my luck.

Just got DP and axle back installed (+JB4 stg2) and I'm noticing a weird rattling sounds, very quiet. So quiet that when the aircon is on, I can't hear it (or it disappears). Anyways, it happens more frequently when I turn the wheel OR when I give it a slight rev to like 1000 RPMs.

The sound resembles two pieces of plastic vibrating against each other. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere in my dash, not too sure. It's annoying the hell out of me and I don't know what to do -_- Don't see how DP + exhaust and JB4 can do this lol.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

2016 M3 | AWE Switchpath Diamond Black 102mm (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #50
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Speedbike, read through the thread and I didn't see the answer to this, are you feeling it in the steering wheel or under your butt? Slightly less likely but it's possible that a few frame/subframe bolts are loose, so I'd look there if they didn't check those when torquing down the suspension bits.

Other than that, how about changing out the sway bar bushings since it was used?
      05-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #51
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Reviving this old thread, but has there been any solution to this? My 13 135is does this too, only while stopped though, never while moving. Stock 18" wheels and tire size.

My 07 335i did the same thing!

It seems like it happens when the engine bogs down and the idle drops slightly because of the additional load on the power steering.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 07:34 PM   #52
LorenzoG
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

any updates to this thread? im unfortunately experiencing the same problem now
Appreciate 0