BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-20-2015, 07:02 AM   #23
RS375
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I've not seen the spec of the BMW charging system but would be very surprised if it wasn't 'smart' and continuously monitored key parameters of the electrical system.

If a low voltage was detected for instance I would expect it to prioritise which electrical loads could have the power.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #24
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

Bad battery/terminal connection. I had this with my X5M and they gave me the same runaround about how I need to drive it more and all that BS. Finnaly they replaced the battery and terminal connections and its ran great no errors in a year in all temps.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #25
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS375 View Post
I've not seen the spec of the BMW charging system but would be very surprised if it wasn't 'smart' and continuously monitored key parameters of the electrical system.

If a low voltage was detected for instance I would expect it to prioritise which electrical loads could have the power.
You mean like shutting down comfort access, and not allowing the rear defroster to turn on.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #26
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO - #161 US

Not having the battery cable recall fixed could also potentially be giving these issues.

Bottom line: REPLACE THE BLOODY BATTERY!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
You mean like shutting down comfort access, and not allowing the rear defroster to turn on.
I bet a 1988 Honda isn't that smart....

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-20-2015 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
Bad battery/terminal connection. I had this with my X5M and they gave me the same runaround about how I need to drive it more and all that BS. Finnaly they replaced the battery and terminal connections and its ran great no errors in a year in all temps.
ooooh now that's actually an outstanding recommendation. Ok.. so it looks like the answers are...

A- Ensure battery terminals are connected to battery properly. Check battery terminal connections for corrosion.
Clean terminals and/or replace as needed. Oops... Replace anyway. It's needed!

B- Ensure battery recall has been done.

C- Replace battery!

D- All of the above.

E. None of the above. Post in another thread or begin another thread 3 months from now.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-20-2015 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #29
RS375
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

@M3

You've obviously gained some knowledge over the years.

For me, it's just a shame that you have to share that knowledge in such a sarcastic manner...
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #30
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccand View Post
The only problem I've ever had with my car is the "low battery" warning light coming on. And the "even lower"/ car picture on lift. If the engine was off, the "low battery light" would consistently come on after about 30 seconds or less of radio playing at normal volumes.

This happened prior to my last service (July 2014). The dealer said the battery was low on charge, I wasn't driving enough, and they recharged it. (I was driving it every day, so this was BS, but I took the car back anyway)

So its still going on, and getting worse, to the point where the "car picture on the lift" warning comes up often (but not all the time).

Furthermore, I've noticed that the "touch" entry now sometimes does not work, and (worst of all), the rear defogger does not work. (even when the low battery warning is *not* present). Note that the defogger button lights up on the dash. Just no defogging. (and ONCE it *did* start to defog just towards the end of a 30 minute drive, so I suppose you could call it intermittent).

Could these all be related, and I just need a new battery? Is there some sort of sensor that disables key functions that are high power draw when the battery voltage is low?

I have an appointment with the dealer at the end of the month, but wanted to do some legwork...

thanks!
Good info here. New 1 series owner and have the following symptoms
1) Car is hard to start... but it starts
2) Low battery indicator comes on if I sit any amount of time with the radio on, ignition off
3) Rear defroster does not work even when driving
4) Car hesitates significantly under acceleration.

I looked and found my car has NOT has the battery cable recall done, so I'm jumping on that. Then I guess I need a new battery as well? I was told by the PO that the starting problem happened even though they replaced the battery a year ago. The suggestion... go drive it more. Sounds like BS.

I also wonder if the low charge would impact the drivability issue above.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #31
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
Good info here. New 1 series owner and have the following symptoms
1) Car is hard to start... but it starts
2) Low battery indicator comes on if I sit any amount of time with the radio on, ignition off
3) Rear defroster does not work even when driving
4) Car hesitates significantly under acceleration.

I looked and found my car has NOT has the battery cable recall done, so I'm jumping on that. Then I guess I need a new battery as well? I was told by the PO that the starting problem happened even though they replaced the battery a year ago. The suggestion... go drive it more. Sounds like BS.

I also wonder if the low charge would impact the drivability issue above.
And hopefully they coded the new battery. Could explain why it is not charging properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #32
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

To OP: your battery should have been covered under warranty before your last service. Battery is warranty item and should be replaced for free especially your battery light was on
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #33
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

What ^they said, and then there's there's the odd change your dynamo (electrical charger) and or regenerative braking charging electronics is broken.

As a general FYI: When you have comfort access and/or alarm you should expect your new condition battery to be discharged with 2 months or 3 and to for it to have damaged your battery irreparably one month later.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #34
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
PS: You did have your battery cable recall done right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccand View Post
umm... whats the battery cable recall?
Also, any word on an "accessory" mode for radio on while car off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Not having the battery cable recall fixed could also potentially be giving these issues.
Bottom line: REPLACE THE BLOODY BATTERY!
See issue #14 of the 1M issues log sticky:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1
      02-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #35
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
See issue #14 of the 1M issues log sticky:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1
Although it does not hurt to get it done, the battery connection to the fuse panel (~recall) is not a likely root cause for a single electrical feature to fail, nor for any battery charging issues.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #36
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
To OP: your battery should have been covered under warranty before your last service. Battery is warranty item and should be replaced for free especially your battery light was on
I'll check with the service advisor when I get the recall done to see what they can do for me on the battery. On the positive side, some new plugs and a charge fixed the hesitation issue. We will see if the charging stuff gets handled by the dealer. Seems odd that the defroster doesn't work though.
Appreciate 0