BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Which one do you recommend based on what I'm looking for?
KW Variant 2 13 44.83%
KW Street Comfort 11 37.93%
Other brand (please mention it) 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

08-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #23
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
I would highly recommend the Koni Yellows. I see you have gotten a good deal on the KW sleeve overs and they are not a bad option. I don't know too much in way of the Bilsteins, but in my honest opinion I like the Koni's performance over the KW.

-Mike
Gotta disagree with that Mike. I've had Koni Yellows with OE sport and PS springs and now KW street comfort. KW SC handles better and provides a more comfortable ride.

OP: I've spent a lot of money trying different shock/spring combos. Spend a little extra now for the KW SC and you'll save money in the long run. Based on your stated needs it's a great solution! Leave the rear rebound setting in the middle where KW suggests; you can experiment with the front.
      08-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #24
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Gotta disagree with that Mike. I've had Koni Yellows with OE sport and PS springs and now KW street comfort. KW SC handles better and provides a more comfortable ride.

OP: I've spent a lot of money trying different shock/spring combos. Spend a little extra now for the KW SC and you'll save money in the long run. Based on your stated needs it's a great solution! Leave the rear rebound setting in the middle where KW suggests; you can experiment with the front.
Sounds good knowing that KW SC is the right choice for me. Did you put the rear setting in the middle? How it feels? Does it reduce a lot of bouncy feeling on the rear end? Yeah, I might want experiment with the front and ride height. I want to drop it just right not slam it to the ground. Thanks
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Sounds good knowing that KW SC is the right choice for me. Did you put the rear setting in the middle? How it feels? Does it reduce a lot of bouncy feeling on the rear end? Yeah, I might want experiment with the front and ride height. I want to drop it just right not slam it to the ground. Thanks
Can't tell you about the bouncy rear. I didn't have that problem prior to the KW SC install. I had Koni sports with BMW PS springs, M3 subframe bushings and Dinan shock mounts. If your car has more than 50k miles, I'd consider new shock mounts at install time. Find a shop that does a lot of KW coilover installs and has a good alignment rack.
Adding-the rear subframe bushings and shock mounts have a lot to do with the bouncy rear. The coilovers will reduce it but you'll still have rear bounce if you don't address the other two. And yes I set the rear rebound in the middle per KW.

Last edited by cvc 22349a; 08-18-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
My rear doesn't bounce on SC's, stock setup. The rear recovers quickly and stays planted. I was planning on doing the rear sub frame bushings with the SC install, but the installer recommended to wait. I am glad I did. No complaints.

If you are not happy, do the rear subframe bushings after.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #27
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

All personal preference. The KWs will probably be more comfortable due to the progressive springs but in terms of handling, rebound ability, and compression. It is a fine kit for someone who just wants to slightly improve handling characteristics.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #28
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanium blur View Post
My rear doesn't bounce on SC's, stock setup. The rear recovers quickly and stays planted. I was planning on doing the rear sub frame bushings with the SC install, but the installer recommended to wait. I am glad I did. No complaints.

If you are not happy, do the rear subframe bushings after.
Agreed
      08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #29
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Anyone try Ohlins DFV? I'm just curious about it. I know it's far more expensive then V2 and street comfort but I don't really know about it. Any link to the review will be really helpful. I know it might be really good for track and street but remember that I'm only looking for street use. Thanks
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ohlins is a great damper that requires frequent service. The rear spring rate is too soft and will induce understeer. You can buy stiffer rear springs but then you'd ideally have the rear the shocks revalved for a higher spring rate.
Based on your stated needs KW SC is your best bet. Might want to a bit.
      08-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #31
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a
Ohlins is a great damper that requires frequent service. The rear spring rate is too soft and will induce understeer. You can buy stiffer rear springs but then you'd ideally have the rear the shocks revalved for a higher spring rate.
What do you mean by frequent service? Yeah, I know that my best choice will be street comfort but I'm just curious about the DFV technology. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #32
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur View Post
eibach is junk. compared to KW. comfort makes u feel planted to the road, without it being so stiff. comfort is almost like stock but stiffer in a good RAIL way. when i go over dips really fast it will plant me down. instead of bouncing up and slamming back jarringly hope u get what im trying to say. also i had H&R coilover too they were to stiff. im telling you if you want comfort go KW comfort everything else would be perofmance or stiff ride.
That is all in the damper, not the spring.

You can run 600 lb springs as long as you have a good damper to go with it.

Quote:
No, I understand about the longevity and I ask that completely separate from the adjustability. I'm saying with few hundred bucks more I can get the adjustable dampening ratio.

I'm getting full coils, street comfort because sleeve over kit is not available for 135i. Thanks!
Are you actually going to utilize rebound? Do you know what it does to a car? Just something to think about if you're never going to autocross it or anything of that sort.

Quote:
What is the rear spring rate? Just wondering.

TCKling Racing likes to run on the softer side of rates on their race cars. For example it isn't shocking to see 400 lb fronts matched with 500 lb rears. The theory behind it stands that you need some body roll and weight transfer to get weight on the rear tires and get traction. Too stiff and you loose this.

Quote:
What do you mean by frequent service? Yeah, I know that my best choice will be street comfort but I'm just curious about the DFV technology. Thanks!
The more expensive shocks need service just like changing oil...for example. Every X amount of miles they need to be checked, unlike KW or Konis where you can run them for no issues most of the time.

OP - Linear springs will actually give you a better DD ride, as when you hit a bump the spring rate is constant throughout compression, and you don't get a sudden jerk as you would with progressive springs as they increase rate as you compress the spring. So with progressive springs they could start out at 150 ft-lbs, but at the end of travel they may be at 300 ft-lbs, for example. You can imagine hitting a hard bump, you're going to be relatively soft until you increase the spring rate and you're going to get a sudden jerk once you meet a higher spring rate.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #33
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

One more question, just like other shock absorbers, does KW need frequent rebuild such as every two year? I heard AST and other brands required rebuild every two year to keep the shock at its best in absorbing shock.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #34
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post

TCKling Racing likes to run on the softer side of rates on their race cars. For example it isn't shocking to see 400 lb fronts matched with 500 lb rears. The theory behind it stands that you need some body roll and weight transfer to get weight on the rear tires and get traction. Too stiff and you loose this.

Here is the info on the Ohlins supplied springs in comparison to the swift springs I went with.
It is is pretty stiff with these springs but not overly harsh due to the quality of the dampers.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #35
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19
One more question, just like other shock absorbers, does KW need frequent rebuild such as every two year? I heard AST and other brands required rebuild every two year to keep the shock at its best in absorbing shock.
I wish I could answer that question. but I can't.

best answer would be to contact KW and ask how long they guarantee their shocks before rebuild.

@Nugget - that is really soft for a car this size and weight. the dampers really do make the worlds difference, especially with higher spring rates
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeetur View Post
eibach is junk. compared to KW. comfort makes u feel planted to the road, without it being so stiff. comfort is almost like stock but stiffer in a good RAIL way. when i go over dips really fast it will plant me down. instead of bouncing up and slamming back jarringly hope u get what im trying to say. also i had H&R coilover too they were to stiff. im telling you if you want comfort go KW comfort everything else would be perofmance or stiff ride.
That is all in the damper, not the spring.

You can run 600 lb springs as long as you have a good damper to go with it.

Quote:
No, I understand about the longevity and I ask that completely separate from the adjustability. I'm saying with few hundred bucks more I can get the adjustable dampening ratio.

I'm getting full coils, street comfort because sleeve over kit is not available for 135i. Thanks!
Are you actually going to utilize rebound? Do you know what it does to a car? Just something to think about if you're never going to autocross it or anything of that sort.

Quote:

Quote:
The more expensive shocks need service just like changing oil...for example. Every X amount of miles they need to be checked, unlike KW or Konis where you can run them for no issues most of the time.

OP - Linear springs will actually give you a better DD ride, as when you hit a bump the spring rate is constant throughout compression, and you don't get a sudden jerk as you would with progressive springs as they increase rate as you compress the spring. So with progressive springs they could start out at 150 ft-lbs, but at the end of travel they may be at 300 ft-lbs, for example. You can imagine hitting a hard bump, you're going to be relatively soft until you increase the spring rate and you're going to get a sudden jerk once you meet a higher spring rate.
What do you recommend for rear spring rate on stock bushings? My best bet according to you will be buying koni yellow and pair it with linear spring, am I right? What linear spring do you recommend? I have no idea about linear spring since most of the time I find progressive spring such as eibach pro kit. You're right that I'm not tracking nor autocross my car. Appreciate your comment here. Just curious, are you tracking your car or just DD it? Because your rear spring rate might be too stiff for DD cars. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #37
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^ I'm trying to help you avoid the money flush I've been through the past few years. I had Koni sports with OE sport and BMW PS springs-both linear. The KW SC handles better and has more ride comfort, period. KW SC has linear rate springs-286/572. You want to stay under 600 lb rear springs with OE subframe bushings. KW has a lifetime warranty on their products; damper service intervals are comparable to Koni with superior valving.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843617
      08-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #38
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^ I'm trying to help you avoid the money flush I've been through the past few years. I had Koni sports with OE sport and BMW PS springs-both linear. The KW SC handles better and has more ride comfort, period. KW SC has linear rate springs-286/572. You want to stay under 600 lb rear springs with OE subframe bushings. KW has a lifetime warranty on their products; damper service intervals are comparable to Koni with superior valving.

Don't worry, KW SC still my priority in this problem. I just want to point out that KW SC is actually using progressive spring and not linear spring for both front and rear. I have the email from KW representative in case you curious about what he said. KW keep using progressive spring for our car since progressive spring is what our car comes with. I heard about BMW changing 135i suspension from linear to progressive spring but don't know starting which year. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #39
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Oh. I assumed they used the same linear springs for E8x as E9x.
      08-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #40
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh. I assumed they used the same linear springs for E8x as E9x.
It has progressive spring. So do you still recommend it to me? I will be more than happy to get KW SC
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #41
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What do you recommend for rear spring rate on stock bushings? My best bet according to you will be buying koni yellow and pair it with linear spring, am I right? What linear spring do you recommend? I have no idea about linear spring since most of the time I find progressive spring such as eibach pro kit. You're right that I'm not tracking nor autocross my car. Appreciate your comment here. Just curious, are you tracking your car or just DD it? Because your rear spring rate might be too stiff for DD cars. Thanks
In theory the idea makes sense, but in reality you'll end up with a horrible ride.

You need a damper that can match a selected spring rate. This is why most coilover kits seem to work really well, as that damper was engineered to work with the selected spring rate.

I don't track my E82, however I do with my E86. I've been jumping back and forth about getting a Dual Adjustable Coilover set-up, but it is too much money right now (as I'm looking at close to $3k with camber plates). I was going to end up with 500 lb fronts and 600 lb rear. But of course this is a totally different car.

For a DD with no future of track/autox I'd lean towards a soft set-up.

I've been trying to look at the OEM spring rates, but I'm assuming they are around 150-270 lbs in the front and 200-400 lbs rear?

For someone who just wants to drive the car, go with an engineered set-up. You're going to spend some money on different spring set-ups to determine what you like and how the car responds.

Quote:

Agreed.

The KW is actually a top-notch damper. I've know a local guy who drives a FRS in STX for SCCA. He is a national champion, and has driven Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Evo...etc. He has had Moton Dampers, AST Dampers...and he prefers the KWs over the other, more expensive dampers.

I thought my E82 springs were linear, interesting. Didn't know BMW ever produced production vehicles with linear springs.

Anyone know the OEM and PS Spring rates?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #42
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
In theory the idea makes sense, but in reality you'll end up with a horrible ride.

You need a damper that can match a selected spring rate. This is why most coilover kits seem to work really well, as that damper was engineered to work with the selected spring rate.

I don't track my E82, however I do with my E86. I've been jumping back and forth about getting a Dual Adjustable Coilover set-up, but it is too much money right now (as I'm looking at close to $3k with camber plates). I was going to end up with 500 lb fronts and 600 lb rear. But of course this is a totally different car.

For a DD with no future of track/autox I'd lean towards a soft set-up.

I've been trying to look at the OEM spring rates, but I'm assuming they are around 150-270 lbs in the front and 200-400 lbs rear?

For someone who just wants to drive the car, go with an engineered set-up. You're going to spend some money on different spring set-ups to determine what you like and how the car responds.

Agreed.

The KW is actually a top-notch damper. I've know a local guy who drives a FRS in STX for SCCA. He is a national champion, and has driven Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Evo...etc. He has had Moton Dampers, AST Dampers...and he prefers the KWs over the other, more expensive dampers.

I thought my E82 springs were linear, interesting. Didn't know BMW ever produced production vehicles with linear springs.

Anyone know the OEM and PS Spring rates?
Thank you sir. Looks like KW Street Comfort will be the best choice to avoid headache of choosing the right spring rate and pair it with good damper.

I don't really know about the spring rate of oem but bimmer mag discussed BMW 128i coupe together with TC Kline and that car has sport suspension (sport suspension on 128i and 135i should be the same), so the link below might help you.
http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/101...2#.UhyWx2Ssh1M

Kline recommends to use 350 spring rate at the rear for daily driven car due to stock bushing limitation but it's all up to us and depends on our needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #43
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It has progressive spring. So do you still recommend it to me? I will be more than happy to get KW SC
Yes because the damper is valved for the springs and is superior to Koni in comfort and handling.
      08-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #44
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes because the damper is valved for the springs and is superior to Koni in comfort and handling.
Great! I'm curious about Ohlins so I'm asking hpa right now just to compare it with KW SC. So far KW SC is my choice for the best price and comfort. Thanks
Appreciate 0