BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Garage I park in downtown for work leaves car windows open,interior damage thoughts?!

Garage I park in downtown for work leaves car windows open. They do this because they leave the keys in the ignition to shuffle cars around and they don't get locked out of cars. That ok because there are some REALLY nice cars in the garage and its watched very closely. My issue is having the interior bits exposed to a damp, cold, garage filled with exhaust fumes day after day after day for months/years in winter and summer. I have to park in this garage because there isn't much other room downtown to park.

what do you guys think? Is it unreasonable I be concerned?….
      11-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Nemco
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is #361/586

Tips them a few bucks when you drop it off and ask them to leave the windows closed. Worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemco View Post
Tips them a few bucks when you drop it off and ask them to leave the windows closed. Worth a shot.
I actually like that suggestion! But it would get too expensive everyday...
      11-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Not sure why the windows are open at all. It's not like you don't have to open the door to move the cars. The only reason I can think of is because whoever is moving the cars is worried about leaving a bad smell in the car if the windows are up. That's not great endorsement for the garage so I would just ask them.
      11-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Not sure why the windows are open at all. It's not like you don't have to open the door to move the cars. The only reason I can think of is because whoever is moving the cars is worried about leaving a bad smell in the car if the windows are up. That's not great endorsement for the garage so I would just ask them.
They said it prevents them from locking the keys in the car.
      11-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
They said it prevents them from locking the keys in the car.
Couldn't careful well trained employees do the same thing?

Also, how exactly would you accidentally lock your BMW key in the car? I don't think you can lock it with comfort access with the key inside. So are they locking the car and then climbing out the roof or something?

I don't think its possible to lock yourself out of a modern BMW lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
Nemco
Private
Rep

I think this is a common garage practice, I see it in my town frequently. I suppose they could lock another cars' keys in your car, etc. Probably gets quite hectic and confusing with comfort access in so many cars.

In any event, if you are a monthly tenant you are a preferred customer - Even without a daily tip, I bet they would keep your windows sealed if you request it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Very common garage practice. We do that here in the shop. If the keys are in the car, ALWAYS leave a window open.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
most of the manhattan garages do this as well......i have even asked them a few times NOT to do it....but they insist. If you are worried, you could try to find a 'self park' parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the great responses. Its good to know this happens elsewhere too. I guess it goes back to my original question. Could having the windows open all day every day in a cold/warm often damp exhaust filled garage do anything to the interior of a car. I know the outside is made to protect against the elements, but is the inside? It has carpet, electronics, materials that can absorb moisture, odors etc and wear prematurely age. Not to mention some dude jumping in and out of the car, using a manual shifter, and starting and stoping the engine cold all day. Or am I being overly concerned?

If it was just a day or week or even month thats fine, but this is my only parking option for work for the next year or two at least. There are a lot of much nicer cars parked there and they don't seem to mind, but that still doesn't change the fact that it isn't good for the interior of the car.
      11-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
Nemco
Private
Rep

Without any particular expertise, I would say the impact on your interior will be minimal. I might make a habit of wiping the interior surfaces off a little more often, but otherwise, as long as the car is in daily use and not sitting with the windows open continuously for extended periods, no permanent damage will occur - the plastics are industrial strength and the leather ain't that soft in our 1ers! And I wouldn't think garage odors would leave a permanent residue during 8-hour stretches.

On the other hand, your bumpers will inevitably get beat to hell with little nicks and scrapes without guards of some kind.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #12
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

You might get a little more dust in the car. Concrete sheds dust all the time. Park your car at the airport garage for a day and look at the exterior.

If you look at it another way, having the window open probably vents it a little. Moisture gets trapped in cars if they just sit there closed up. Might help prevent the plastic gassing fogging up the inside of the windows too.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
This is interesting. Garage I go to you give the attendants the key and lock the car and they keep all the keys in the office. Unless you park in a spot where you are not blocking someone you can lock it and keep your key since they wont need to move your car.

But then again I park on the top floor with no attendants so I don't have to worry about this.
Appreciate 0