BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

E82 dual exhaust to quad exhaust??? Is it possible

Is it at all possible to take my twin exhaust and either make it into quad exhaust or a twin exhaust on both sides? I really like the look of 4 exhaust pipes in the back, should give me more power too correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:58 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonhyatt View Post
Is it at all possible to take my twin exhaust and either make it into quad exhaust or a twin exhaust on both sides? I really like the look of 4 exhaust pipes in the back, should give me more power too correct?
Yes, possible. I had an exhaust fabricator fit a 3.5" exhaust in and converted my MadDad Whisper into a quad exit.

No, not really more power. Maybe 10hp from removing the secondaries.

It's all noise and weight reduction (less reduction if you add piping for the quad)
      09-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
So something like the Remus exhaust?https://www.ebay.com/p/657946299
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
So something like the Remus exhaust?https://www.ebay.com/p/657946299
I hate the remus tips so much lol
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:51 AM   #5
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Yes it's possible but it will require a carefully made custom system. I had it spec'ed out a number of years ago. To be done correctly it was $$$$ and there were potential drawbacks from the quad system (loss of back pressure, increased turbo lag etc). All in all not worth it to me IMO. More of a cosmetic thing than functional. You'll find most quad systems do not actually have a fully open and functional 2nd "half" to them. Take a look at the undercarriage of the 1M....you'll see what I mean

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
Yes it's possible but it will require a carefully made custom system. I had it spec'ed out a number of years ago. To be done correctly it was $$$$ and there were potential drawbacks from the quad system (loss of back pressure, increased turbo lag etc). All in all not worth it to me IMO. More of a cosmetic thing than functional. You'll find most quad systems do not actually have a fully open and functional 2nd "half" to them. Take a look at the undercarriage of the 1M....you'll see what I mean
For the Lazy lol
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS427.00
      09-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
BMWWorld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Yes it is, here a picture of my previous car a 128i with custom dual exhaust. Axel back straight exhaust. And another picture of the design. Not the most functional, but was the less expensive route. Since this wasn't a performance orientated build.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWorld View Post
Yes it is, here a picture of my previous car a 128i with custom dual exhaust. Axel back straight exhaust. And another picture of the design. Not the most functional, but was the less expensive route. Since this wasn't a performance orientated build.
The guy who was going to fabricate it was really concerned about the connection between mid pipes and axle back sections proximity to the diff. I was trying to do a system with minimal mandrels and the same size tubing from DP back. You could reduce the pipe size around the diff but performance use this makes no sense...IMO it's totally a cosmetic thing...

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #9
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The guy who was going to fabricate it was really concerned about the connection between mid pipes and axle back sections proximity to the diff. I was trying to do a system with minimal mandrels and the same size tubing from DP back. You could reduce the pipe size around the diff but performance use this makes no sense...IMO it's totally a cosmetic thing...
I love my exhaust setup and get tons of compliments...AR Catless, berk resonates mids and Berk street axle back. (Had the sport version, fun for 2 weeks then just stupid). Car sounds awesome under WOT and the burbles on downshifts are awesome. Best part it's pretty quiet on the highway and cruising around town. But LOUD when you want it to be...

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #10
ashtonhyatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Quote:
How much did this run you? And who/where would I go to to get a quote/get this done
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #11
BMWWorld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yea it's a cosmetic mod. If someone is going for performance it's best to keep it single exhaust. But others don't mind it too much. In my case it was a 128i so performance wise there's no many reasons to spend money it. That's why now that I own a 135i I don't have the dual exhaust setup. I prefer performance orientated mods instead.
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS427.00
      09-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #12
BMWWorld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How much did this run you? And who/where would I go to to get a quote/get this done
Well I live in Puerto Rico, so price wise I bet it'll be different from where you live. But I bought the tips from eBay, for about 140/170 USD (not sure on the price, but was kind of expensive if you ask me), then I powder coated those tips in rose gold for around 40/60 USD , & labor was about $180 USD (not that bad).
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:56 PM   #13
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well I live in Puerto Rico, so price wise I bet it'll be different from where you live. But I bought the tips from eBay, for about 140/170 USD (not sure on the price, but was kind of expensive if you ask me), then I powder coated those tips in rose gold for around 40/60 USD , & labor was about $180 USD (not that bad).
By all means it looks fucking awesome. To me it just wasn't worth the cost

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #14
BMWWorld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
By all means it looks fucking awesome. To me it just wasn't worth the cost
Yea too expensive for what it was. But any other aftermarket dual exhaust setup is worth more than that & with shipping to Puerto Rico the price goes through the roof.
Appreciate 0