BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

In Praise of Run Flat Tires and the Foresight to get Tire Insurance

I know that there are many on this board that hate the run-flats, and they are more expensive and a harder ride than a host of other non RFTs.

But today my wife got a nail in the tire, and the tire pressure monitor went off. The ability to just drive the car to the dealer - have them contact the insurance company about the tire and be on my merry way no muss / no fuss in 90+ degree heat is more valuable to me than the marginal difference in handling with RFTs.

I also cannot stress how happy I am that i bought insurance. This is the 3rd tire that I have had to change, and my insurance is capped at $5,000 (rims and wheels). If you can get the insurance for under $1000 (I paid about 600-700), this is insurance that makes great sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
I have come to this realization that nothing is like OEM.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
CapHill1er
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435xi GC-Carbon Black M-Sport

Good to hear.

My first BMW in 2002 had several flat tires due to nails on the road and I got killed on the replacement/repair costs and those were non-runflats. My second one in 2005 had non-runflats (IIRC) but I bought the tire insurance -- back when it was a cheap $350 for three years. It worked like carrying an umbrella when there's a chance of rain -- kept the storm clouds away so I never had to use it.

For my new 1er, I went whole hog with 5 year coverage even though it was a bit expensive (still substantially less than my Euro Delivery discount) because I knew how expensive runflats are and how bad DC and Maryland streets are. Hope I never have to use it, but I'm glad I have that piece of mind.

--John
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I had my runflat nail holes plugged

lots cheaper
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

where do you see not recommended?

I've never had a nail hole that was not 1/4" or less and within the tread area

In my case, the nail stayed in, every time, and I drove with a slow leak until i got it into a shop for a inside out patch/plug

nails do not leave you stranded, hitting something big enough to leave you stranded will also leave a runflat stranded

I have AAA for that, had it before, durring, and after runflats, I recommend AAA to everyone that drives
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
I have come to this realization that nothing is like OEM.
In my opinion OEM is like nothing, since I have Michelin PS2s on my car. The car rides so much smoother that it cannot be adequately described.

In case of a flat, I have a trusty spare picked up in Germany by a member here.

Thanks BBBluey
Attached Images

09-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Totally agree with you.

[QUOTE=RobMason;7977563]In my opinion OEM is like nothing, since I have Michelin PS2s on my car. The car rides so much smoother that it cannot be adequately described.

In case of a flat, I have a trusty spare picked up in Germany by a member here.

The run craps are terrible. My 740i e38 came with Michelin Pilots and forged M-spoke wheels. The ride quality was like driving on a creme soaked glass highway.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

With the tire insurance, they just replace the tire. I bought the tire insurance because I knew how expensive these RFTs would be to fix.

I was also told at the BMW dealer that they never plug RFT, but then again they do make good money selling tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
where do you see not recommended?

I've never had a nail hole that was not 1/4" or less and within the tread area

In my case, the nail stayed in, every time, and I drove with a slow leak until i got it into a shop for a inside out patch/plug

nails do not leave you stranded, hitting something big enough to leave you stranded will also leave a runflat stranded

I have AAA for that, had it before, durring, and after runflats, I recommend AAA to everyone that drives
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Tochenzo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
1998 328i  [10.00]
I had my first puncture tire this year after driving for 6 years...however with no tire insurance the $500 cost for a new RFT was ridiculous. I am in the process of purchasing some non RFT all seasons soon in preparation for the winter and will purchase a "fix a flat" product that I'll throw in the trunk and hope to never use for at least another 6 years.

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

walmart has mobility kits very cheap, take some of the savings and buy a AAA membership
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
I know that there are many on this board that hate the run-flats, and they are more expensive and a harder ride than a host of other non RFTs.

But today my wife got a nail in the tire, and the tire pressure monitor went off. The ability to just drive the car to the dealer - have them contact the insurance company about the tire and be on my merry way no muss / no fuss in 90+ degree heat is more valuable to me than the marginal difference in handling with RFTs.

I also cannot stress how happy I am that i bought insurance. This is the 3rd tire that I have had to change, and my insurance is capped at $5,000 (rims and wheels). If you can get the insurance for under $1000 (I paid about 600-700), this is insurance that makes great sense.
Like any additional product "insurance/warranty", it pays IF you need to use it. In that case, you look like a genius.
But, if you never use it, then you just spent the money.

I do understand people who buy these things though.
One has to decide, from experience, what works for them in the conditions they drive.
My last 3 cars all had sport suspensions that came with summer performance tires; E46 325i, A4, and my 135i. If I also count the 2000 Eclipse, that's over a decade of no flats with any of the cars.
I always put all season ultra high performance tires due to the weather in my area. For me, I always have to budget at least an extra $800 just for the tires that are needed in my area.
If I spent money on tire/wheel insurance, for the last 3 cars it would have doubled my tire expense.

For me, NO RFT's, and no wheel/tire insurance. Too expensive.
At about $1000 per car, that's $3000 I would have spent and never got any return on it.
I'm on the plus side now. If one of my non RFT's go flat, replacement is much cheaper, and repair is always an option.
RFT's need more refinement, lower price, and better repairability.
I like the idea. I don't like the actual overall experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

I agree man.. the same happened to me..

Wake up in the morning.. get ready to go to work, get into the car and 10 mins later TPMS. I stopped and i found a nail in the outside shoulder of my rear left tire.. I get back to the car drive to the dealer. 25 minutes later sitting in the service waiting area (WITH AC) called work "I will be late for an hour".

One hour later drive back to work.. in the same outfit no sweet not bad mood just happy that i bought the tire insurance..

I agree it will be great if i could get it for $700.. I had to pay $900 for it.. so technically i should get 2 more nails in the next 4.6 years to break even..

Bottom line.. I agree RFTs are bad for performance but guys we use our cars on the streets not a race track.. and if you are race guy you will have a extra set of race tires..

For me in Miami with 90+ degree most of the time and crazy rain i will be pissed if i spent 5 minutes doing the spare tire and going back home to take a shower before go to work.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
zbladejr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I can't remember last time I got a flat....maybe 8 years....until a few weeks ago. Wife, son and I were coming home from long weekend at sister's...3 hours drive. Half way home, on a Sunday early afternoon, I'm in left lane on highway, hit a pothole or whatever crater was there, and pow....blew out right front. Cars all around, going maybe 70 or so...anyway, what would have happened without RFT? Don't know - maybe no blowout....maybe the worst.

Anyway, tire was completely damaged on side of rim - so limped it for 5 miles or so to a close by BMW dealer (lucky so close).

Next day, my dad drove up with my spare winter fronts, they swapped and he brought the car home. In parallel, I got in touch with one of the forum members who had RFT's in great shape after ordering non-RFT's. He sold me his front, for about $100 with shipping. Come Wednesday - RFT comes in, gets put on ($30) and there we have it - $130 and an extra 3 hours driving. I've had my 135i for 2.5 years.

Now, what's this about $900 in tire insurance?

Guys, keep buying non-RFT's and keep your RFT's for those that may need them.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

dynaplug.com (trust me)
      09-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagekicker View Post
dynaplug.com (trust me)
These things really work without reaming? When I plugged my rft, i used a $10 kit from pep-boys. It worked and was easy in concept, but I had to really work it to ream the hole for the plug.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #16
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Glad I have the insurance. Have had trouble with a slow leak, TPMS would go off, air topped off, no leak found, repeat every 2-3 weeks.
Had my car in for routine service, had SA look at it, he found a bubble in another and a nail in a third and had all 3 replaced under warranty. $1300 billed to insurance, then another $350 when I got another nail 2 days later on one of the new tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Although I agree with convenience of the OP story, I cannot tell you how much MORE fun my car is since I put 4 non RFT PS2s on the 1 for less that 800$

Also, I too had 2 RFT's replaced due to nails and bulges @ the cost of 800$. Seems like a waste that 2 brand new tires had to be tossed.

Both ways have pluses and minuses. But I am grinning more when I drive lately.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #18
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
Although I agree with convenience of the OP story, I cannot tell you how much MORE fun my car is since I put 4 non RFT PS2s on the 1 for less that 800$

Also, I too had 2 RFT's replaced due to nails and bulges @ the cost of 800$. Seems like a waste that 2 brand new tires had to be tossed.

Both ways have pluses and minuses. But I am grinning more when I drive lately.

Nobody can argue that PS2s are not superior to the Bridgestone RFTs.

But, off the track, the difference is so marginal that I think you'd be fooling yourself if you could tell an appreciable difference.

Personally, I'm not a fan of plugging tires or the mobility kits as anything more than a stopgap - in other words, the tire is going to be replaced.

I think tire insurance depends on the term and cost. Mine cost me the equivalent of two tires - no brainer for me.

But the real benefit of RFTs (especially for those that live in extreme climates and also have family) is that when a flat occurs, your rims are safe AND you can just drive to have the tire fixed/replaced after work.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #19
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
You are probably right with that tire combo. I went from Goodyear NCT's to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. IMHO and my son's, the difference is very noticeable. Maybe I'll try Bridgestone next time. My bad on not being 100% specific on tire brands.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:

But the real benefit of RFTs (especially for those that live in extreme climates and also have family) is that when a flat occurs, your rims are safe AND you can just drive to have the tire fixed/replaced after work.
While i agree this is an advantage for day to day driving, I don't know if you have this advantage when driving on a weekend trip beyond the run flat operation range. I know someone who lost three days of a cross country trip because they got a 'flat' in a honda minivan, and had to wait for a replacement to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
lithium1330
Private
Rep
Drives: fiancee's 135 when she lets me

I assume insurance covers just one tire? On these cars, you should really replace the tire pair per axle to get even wear. So, i guess if you have 60% wear to rear tires and you got a flat on one ... you have to decide whether to replace the "good" tire too, or drive with one tire on new tread and the other on 60%.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Nobody can argue that PS2s are not superior to the Bridgestone RFTs.

But, off the track, the difference is so marginal that I think you'd be fooling yourself if you could tell an appreciable difference.

Personally, I'm not a fan of plugging tires or the mobility kits as anything more than a stopgap - in other words, the tire is going to be replaced.

I think tire insurance depends on the term and cost. Mine cost me the equivalent of two tires - no brainer for me.

Equivalent of 2 RFT's. My Conti's cost around $800 for the set of 4, less than the cost of the warranty.
But, we all agree it's conditional, and what the driver is willing to accept and deal with.

One more thing, I'm NOT fooling myself that I can tell a significant difference on the road, after switching to non RFT. I prefer the overall performance of the non RFT.
Appreciate 0