BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
martinsmu
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, White/ red int

My review of the JB3 PNP

Like 100's of other post, here is my personal review of the JB3 PNP.

Install was a little intimidating at the biginning, but once you get under way, it wasn't that bad. The hardest part IMO is closing the DME box with all the new extra wires. Total install time for me, 1hour 30mins. haha. I am slow, but I make sure I do a good job, especially the first time around.

The bad; Choosing maps is awesome, but you have no way of know what map you are on. I wish there was a way to know for 100% sure what map you are running. Also wish there was a little more low-end torque. (maybe I had my expectations to high)

Good; Cheap, easy to install, map switch. Although low end torque was a little absent, speed builds up real quick. REAL QUICK!! (alot quicker than the SS/TT by comparison) You can feel the tune is a little less for bottom end (AKA procede) and more for higher rpms! But what I LOVE is that the car doesn't die in the higher rpms. It almost feels like an N/A car. Overall awesome tunes for and awesome price. Props to Terrance and his tune.

No flaming please, just stating un-biased opinion here. I am sure the procede V3 is a good tune. And the SS/TT always treated me well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
kompey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

I have a question:

with jb3 and window down,when you release the gas at 3000+ rpm.do you hear bov sound(with stock DDV)?
Sorry for the question but with active processor I don't hear it....with JB3 yes and I don't understand if it's normal?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kompey View Post
I have a question:

with jb3 and window down,when you release the gas at 3000+ rpm.do you hear bov sound(with stock DDV)?
Sorry for the question but with active processor I don't hear it....with JB3 yes and I don't understand if it's normal?

Thanks in advance
I hear the BOV sound with my JB3, you are running more boost so the blow off noise will be louder...naturally. It's even louder with intake.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
kompey
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=amsfoto;4691316]I hear the BOV sound with my JB3, you are running more boost so the blow off noise will be louder...naturally. It's even louder with intake.[/QU
OTE]

thanks for you reply

I know that the sound of bov is normal with more boost,but with active I don't hear it untill abouto 5000rpm....now I hear it from 3000 rpm,my question is for it

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:23 AM   #5
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep

[QUOTE=kompey;4691325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
I hear the BOV sound with my JB3, you are running more boost so the blow off noise will be louder...naturally. It's even louder with intake.[/QU
OTE]

thanks for you reply

I know that the sound of bov is normal with more boost,but with active I don't hear it untill abouto 5000rpm....now I hear it from 3000 rpm,my question is for it

Thank you
Probably has to do with the Active Processor running less boost at lower rpm than the JB3...they are very different tunes, the JB3 is more aggressive so in turn you will get more low end boost and a louder BOV sound at lower rpm.

Just my thoughts, I don't know much about the AA tune but it seems to make sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
kompey
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=amsfoto;4691347]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompey View Post

Probably has to do with the Active Processor running less boost at lower rpm than the JB3...they are very different tunes, the JB3 is more aggressive so in turn you will get more low end boost and a louder BOV sound at lower rpm.

Just my thoughts, I don't know much about the AA tune but it seems to make sense.
ok,thanks for your reply.
If also you have the bov sound at low rpm I'm quiet
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep

[QUOTE=kompey;4691396]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post

ok,thanks for your reply.
If also you have the bov sound at low rpm I'm quiet
I do It's normal.

ps. sorry for the threadjack! Thanks for the review!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

So OP, what map are you running?
Im personally on map 4. I have a stock car no other mods and to me this is the best map.
Ive have been told not to run higher maps without supporting mods. For me this is true. On a stock car map 6 does not seem faster than map 4. Ive been to the drags and I ran a slower time with map 6.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I used map 6 with 93 Octane gas and having been running it for 2 weeks now, no problem at all. One thing true about map switching is kind of scary without any visual indication about which map that you are on. Especailly map 6, since map 7 is right next to it. We all know map 7 will throw some CEL codes under certain condition since map 7 has not been fully tested yet (according to the manual). So, it is kind of scary don't know for sure that you are on map 6 or 7 without any indication. Othewise, I love my JB3.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
martinsmu
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, White/ red int

Exactly why I stay in the lower maps. Think map 4 will do just fine!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 11:45 PM   #11
Foofighterr
Future 135i Owner
Rep
Drives: 2009 Lancer GTS

Get the new BMS Tuning Gauge so you can have piece of mind and know what map you are on...