BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
type one
Rep
Drives: 130i

Looking for my next mod - 130i owner

OK - so installed the BMWP intake but other than that the car is stock.

Options I have avaialble to me for the next BFYB performance mod:

- Suspension, I think I am going to avoid coilovers at this stage for just general road driving. I am thinking Koni shocks and H&R springs

- UUC short shift

- BBS LMs - given the weak Pound, might be able to get some savings

- exhaust - though I think potentially I am going to put this one last until this car becomes a weekender...

Anyone feel like putting these in order for me! haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

From the mods that I have done, this is the order I rate the changes

1. Suspension - I have KW v2 Coilover because I wanted complete control over height but what surprised me is how comfortable these are! Combined with non RFT tyres they are very close to the ride comfort of the std. M Sport with RFT's but with a huge difference in handling! I have my adjustable rebound setting on KW recommended which is near half way so it can be adjusted harder of softer depending on preference. It can also be raised to stock height if you wish

2. Exhaust - combined with the Intake you already have, it makes real music and gives a great edge to the sound without being overbearing

3. BMWP brake kit - Great progressive braking performance as well as looking fantastic

4. BMWP short shift lever - gives a great short positive throw! This is not the full kit but just the lever/bearing/circlip part which just uses existing gear knob and gaitor and can be swapped over without getting under the car. I did it in less than an hour!

5. CDV mod - it costs nothing and gives you complete control of clutch and reduces balking of first and second gear changes.

6. Wheels - this can make a great visual impact and if lighter than OEM can make a noticable difference in acceleration and braking!

Take advantage of the weak £
      10-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
type one
Rep

mmm most drivers rate suspension as the first best modification. I am tempted to do the BMWP suspension. Have read a review on this forum re a 135i and the owner spoke quite highly.

Brake kit seems a little hardcore to me.

Since coming from a japanese car, I always have it in my mind that an exhaust mod is a riceboy mod for street use. If i was going to invest in an exhaust however, i'd be looking for something that gives a tinny sound..love the sound of the high pitched shrill on a 6.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep

You will love the sound of the BMWP exhaust. It make a very nice raspy sound not unlike an E46 M3.

It's a quality 6 cyl sound which is not to be compared with the farty exhaust noises from the 4cyl "boy racer" brigade
      10-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
niuzai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e81 3dr

i'm thinking of a cat-back Bastuck exhaust, but still not firm as the feedback of BMWP from this forum is quite good...
any comment will be appreciate between this 2 exhaust.
presently i'm with a custom exhaust with 3''through this muffler and 2 3''titanium tip. it is only slightly louder than my stock m-sport exhaust but the mid to high rev is much more freely.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
type one
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyvrs View Post
You will love the sound of the BMWP exhaust. It make a very nice raspy sound not unlike an E46 M3.

It's a quality 6 cyl sound which is not to be compared with the farty exhaust noises from the 4cyl "boy racer" brigade

great I will ask my friends in the UK to price one up then!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
dontask
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i

how about getting rid of the runflats and adding and LSD?

Modded 135i
RHD Bumblebee
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask View Post
how about getting rid of the runflats and adding and LSD?
+1 forgot to mention about the runflats.... They do make a big difference!

The LSD..... I will let you know soon as I'm getting this fitted next week
      03-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Bwilson
ARMASPEED Seller Distribution ANZ
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i M Sports

Garage List
has anyone done any research on a supercharger kit for the 130i?
      04-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #10
Nifelheim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwilson View Post
has anyone done any research on a supercharger kit for the 130i?
best source of info Andrew at Southern BMW in Melbourne. Whan I last asked there was nothing off the shelf available.

As for BFYB mods; so far I have BMWP air in take, SS kit, BMWP suspension which comes with underfloor cross bracing at the rear, BMWP front strut brace, Vorschalg camber plates( supplied Southern BMW) , Yokahama neovas - 215 front 225 rear. Also running an evolve ecu tune. Brakes- upgraded rotors, ferrodo pads braided lines and race fluid.

Do regular track days and with the camber plates and suspension set up by spinning wheel in Sydney the car is now very well balanced with almost no understeer. Pretty impressed with the BMWP product.

Present dilemma is to keep going with the 130i or change. Cant really identify an immediate replacement but could do with a little more power for the track.

If it stays next step will be the quaife LSD as it is spinning up the inside wheel . Andrew is also working on a set of decat manifolds but needs someone in Melbourne to volunteer their car for test fit.

I suspect that with a free flow exhast and tune power would be approaching the 135i , in a lighter body... add supercharger!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
Bwilson
ARMASPEED Seller Distribution ANZ
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i M Sports

Garage List
Thanks mate,
I am quite surprise about the amount of modification we have for our N52 Engine.
Allot of guys in USA /UK is not offering supercharger / turbocharger kit because of our Valvetronic system which can be quite difficult to setup. Anyhow this was the response I got back from majority of BMW 1 series Mods workshops.

It is ashamed, I prefer the Hatch more then the coupe, and I would have bought the 135i if they had it in a Hatch.

With all the minor mods I have done so far, it feels like there is not enough torque coming out from the motor.

Currently I am investigating the E46 M3 Engine (N54) route; this could be my next option.
      06-24-2010, 02:41 AM   #12
type one
Rep

just tried to get a set of non RFTs today from my local and couldn't get a size for the front rims.

Did a great deal of the shelf on a set of Michelin PS3s for the rear however... but if i cant change all 4...

Yokohama S Drive was the best the guy could get for me in a 215 front 235 rear. I think i am going to keep looking.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #13
Nifelheim
Rep

The front 205 size difficult to get in non RFT. Should be plenty of choice for the 215 front/ 225 rear in non RFT. The 215 fronts help with the understeer.

I am running 215 front 225 rear Yokahama Neovas. A hybrid track/road tyre.Good in the dr , not so good when wet or cold but great on the track.
Should be a few options for the 215/225 combination, I know Kumho does from when I last looked.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
type one
Rep

Thanks Nifelheim.

Spoke to Bob Jane in Box Hill and they reckon a 225/40 front and 235/40 rear isn't going to work... Not sure if that's my opinion! but this is available for Michelin PS3s which I want to try (won't work because of the height difference allegedly)

Kumho does do a 215/225 combo as well so does Yoko in their S Drives.

will let you know how i go!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #15
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by type one View Post
Thanks Nifelheim.

Spoke to Bob Jane in Box Hill and they reckon a 225/40 front and 235/40 rear isn't going to work... Not sure if that's my opinion! but this is available for Michelin PS3s which I want to try (won't work because of the height difference allegedly)

Kumho does do a 215/225 combo as well so does Yoko in their S Drives.

will let you know how i go!

I run 225 / 40 8 " front and 235 / 35 9" rear on ET 40s wihtout any problems, not rubbing except under EXTREME LOAD and with some weight. That is in more than a year running this combination I think I have only heard the faintest rub 2 - 3 times. If you were going to track or have people in the rear regularly this could change but for me with two people up front, two mountain bikes in the back and enough gear for a long weekend I get nothing not a scrape.

I am acutally thinking of going up in the rear to 245 for the next set of tyres, currently running conti 3

Last edited by Blacky; 07-03-2010 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #16
type one
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I run 225 / 40 8 " front and 235 / 35 9" rear on ET 40s wihtout any problems, not rubbing except under EXTREME LOAD and with some weight. That is in more than a year running this combination I think I have only heard the faintest rub 2 - 3 times. If you were going to track or have people in the rear regularly this could change but for me with two poeple up from, two mountain bikes in the back and enought gear for a long weekend I get nothing not a scrape.

I am acutally thinking of going up in the rear to 245 for the next set of tyres, currently running conti 3
ok great, thanks Blacky!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #17
type one
Rep

got 225/40 all round today in Conti Sport 2s. Initial impressions of stepping away from an RFT is lighter steering - weaker sidewall, makes sense... grip on the tyres has really surprised me though!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #18
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

what is this CDV mod that was mentioned earlier??

never mind found it

Last edited by 130iguy; 03-04-2011 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: searched
Appreciate 0