BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-05-2020, 02:03 AM   #1
Tassy1M
Rep
Drives: Previous 118i & 130i owner

Knock in suspension.

Hi all,
I'm sorry if this has already been covered,but I have a 2009 E82 125i manual Coupe with 125K on the clock. Its only a toy, not a daily driver, so when I do get to have a play, I get a knock from all 4 corners on every bump. it seems to calm down a bit after driving a few klms. Can anyone provide any advice on what part of the suspension this might be coming from. I watched a video on this and saw something about fluid filled dampers? that deteriorate? Sorry if this is vague, I do not profess to be a mechanic.
many thanks for all responses.
PS I love this car
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
This is the 1M section. You'll get a lot more traffic in the main forum.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy1M View Post
Hi all,
I'm sorry if this has already been covered,but I have a 2009 E82 125i manual Coupe with 125K on the clock. Its only a toy, not a daily driver, so when I do get to have a play, I get a knock from all 4 corners on every bump. it seems to calm down a bit after driving a few klms. Can anyone provide any advice on what part of the suspension this might be coming from. I watched a video on this and saw something about fluid filled dampers? that deteriorate? Sorry if this is vague, I do not profess to be a mechanic.
PS I love this car
Yes, a knock at all four corners is very strange. never heard of it actually. All dampers are fluid filled, that's how they work. There is oil and a piston. The piston pushes the oil through a hole but it slows the piston down. This dampens the movement of the suspension going up and down. Usually a clunk would be from a worn bushing somewhere or shocks bottoming out but even then there are bump stops. If it started in one corner and you ignored it and eventually made it to all four corners that seems more likely. In any case, yes try the regular 1 series forum but I would take it in to a shop and put on a lift and inspect. Not normal at all. Sorry to hear that and let us know what you find out!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #4
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

BMW dampers are famous for short life span. Your car has 125k miles so you should figure out how old your shocks are. The knock could be shock mounts or control arm bushings, too.

If you car is all original just go ahead and do a full suspension refresh.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
BMW dampers are famous for short life span. Your car has 125k miles so you should figure out how old your shocks are. The knock could be shock mounts or control arm bushings, too.

If you car is all original just go ahead and do a full suspension refresh.
Yup. My winter E90 has 180k km. Just finished replacing, well, everything. FCP FTW!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy1M View Post
Hi all,
PS I love this car
Check your upper and lower shock mounts in the rear and front upper mounts and sway bar endlinks.

Dampers can clunk too but you usually don't hear them unless they are really bad. The rubber mounts tend to muffle that clunk.
Appreciate 0