BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
jesseJK
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Inoperative comfort access and remote locking

Hi!

I have previously had my 135i's PGS-module (comfort access) swimming in the trunk. It was causing typical symptoms, such as the instrument panel blacking out while driving and having fault codes from various modules.

After I fixed my leaking tail light, I replaced my PGS-module with a 100%-working used one, after the old module gave fault codes for all CA-antennas. I also replaced one blown 5 Amp fuse (cannot remember which one), before installing the new module.

Still my comfort access and remote locking are inoperative. Here's a list of things that I've tried or found out:

> Central locking and lock actuators work (doors can be locked/unlocked with the physical key inside fob)
> Both key fobs have new batteries and are recognized when in ignition slot (still no keyless start/entry)
> When pressing Start-button without inserting key, power stays off and a yellow "no key" icon is shown in the instrument panel
> No blown fuses behind glove box or damaged wiring/connectors in trunk area
> PGS and CAS units are both operative according to INPA ("JobStatus: OKAY" messages for both when calling the units)
> CA door handles have been tested to work with INPA
> CAS identifies the comfort access as inoperative when monitoring key status in INPA
> No fault codes present
> Replaced PGS-module shares all the same info with the previous one (part number, software version etc.).

In this situation, what should I do next? Can my diversity antenna be the one that's causing this problem? Can it be tested with INPA/ISTA? Is there any other tests to be performed?
Hoping to get some replies soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
turbodriven
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 and BMW 128i

Are key numbers stored in the PGS? In INPA or ISTA check the key numbers for each of your keys and adjust accordingly. Only Key 1 or 2 will work with comfort access. Other key numbers 3 through whatever (9 I think) work in all other capacities, just not comfort access. My CA wasn't working when I bought my car and I found that my key was being listed as key #3. I only have one key so I deleted (deactivated) key #1 and that seemed to bump my #3 key into the #2 slot and everything started working. You can't renumber keys directly in INPA, you can only deactivate slots. Anyways, make sure your keys are in #1 and #2 positions. Report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
jesseJK
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Turbodriven, thanks for your reply!
I checked it out. Keys are identified correctly as #1 and #2, but I was only able to see this info when viewing CAS. I could not find any info regarding key slots when viewing PGS.

I still cannot even use my key fob buttons to unlock/lock my car or open my trunk, so I don't think that incorrect key slot numbers would be the thing causing this problem.

One thing what I noticed is that PGS thinks my car's VIN is "0000000". Could this cause problems?

EDIT: I viewed CAS and PGS info with INPA. ISTA was not available at the moment...

Last edited by jesseJK; 04-26-2021 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: more specific info
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Is it possible that the connector to the CAS module is faulty (due to rusting)? Or is the CAS module checking out OK when you test it?

I know when I replaced mine it took a few tries to get the keys to work but after a few starts/stops and key button presses all was good. But I did spend a lot of time trying to ensure any corrosion in the CAS module connector cable was cleaned out. I vacuumed it, scrubbed it, all sorts of shit.
Appreciate 0