BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Fuel Filter Housing Leak

For the past 6 months I've noticed a raw fuel smell in the garage after returning home or when just letting the LPFP prime after opening the door or unlocking the car. It was coming from the fuel tank area. No fumes inside the car.

Turns out that the fuel filter housing is cracked! I searched and found a couple of other people who had the same issue. Looks easy to replace but the LPFP does have to come out too to disconnect the lines inside the tank that go to the filter assembly.

The PN is 16117313791 and I got a replacement off ECS for $190. I could have sealed up but that would only be a temporary fix as the crack is likely to continue growing.

I am curious if my Spool FX-150 HPFP is partially to blame. To get extra flow in the HPFP they remove some of the components that dampen the pressure pulses that go back to the fuel tank. You can definitely feel and hear the pressure pulses in the tank when the access cover is removed. The pulses were reduced significantly when I installed the Stage 2 LPFP, but still present.
Attached Images

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:27 AM   #2
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Update: I patched the leak with and gasoline-tolerant plastic adhesive and it worked for about 4 months or 500 miles but started leaking again even worse than before. I replaced it but fear it will suffer the same fate given the horrendous pressure pulses from the Spool HPFP.
Appreciate 2