BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Joying Headunit install. Help

I know there's a handful of threads, but frankly I couldn't piece together any 'average' path through it.

I want to put this : Joying 8.8 Inch into my 2012 135i (non idrive) with HK system VN12365

I saw people talking about getting CANBUS harnesses and problems with steering wheel button compatibility.

When I reached out to Joying, they (in very broken English) said that their BMW harness wouldn't work with my car and that I needed to buy one from 'other vendors'. Like this? 1er CANBUS Radio Adaptor

What exactly should I be ordering here in order for this to be 'plug and play'.

I'd also like to snag that 'trunk handle' mounted back up camera. Door Handle Camera

There's an $18.00 ODB2 option. Their site doesn't mention what that is for.
There's a $36.00 TPMS option. The site doesn't clarify.

I'd really appreciate any help here from those that have done an install with Joying.

Last edited by Soterios; 03-09-2021 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I personally have not done the joying install so there's that, but the Joying kit you linked only comes with the iso harness, antenna, external mic, gps antenna, and a usb cable.

I do know if you wish to retain steering wheel function you are correct that you have to purchase a CANBUS box harness. The rearview camera should work as long as it has video out. I purchased one that's very similar to the one you linked. Also do you have HK or HIFI? If so you might have to purchase one of those $99 Fiber Optic Decoder boxes.

As for the ODB2 you have to determine which type of Bluetooth signal your unit can pick up. For instance my Xtrons unit can pickup my cheap Amazon OBD2 unit to run torque, but I cannot connect to my JB4 Bluetooth 4.0.

I don't mess with TPMS at all seeing as how my 135i still lets me know when something is wrong.
Appreciate 1
Soterios575.00
      03-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
blingers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI 130i

unless joying has stopped support for their BMW canbus in their new headunits, ask for the BMW E90 motherboard and BMW E90 canbus harness for the 8.8inch universal model. I have this set up in the older 9inch units in my e87.

this E90 canbus will assign all the steering wheel buttons automatically with no option to change them. reverse camera, dynamic tracking guidelines and on screen parking radar, warning beeps work.

I believe the E82 canbus harness they linked you doesn't read steering wheel buttons signals... usually these type of universal harnesses (eg. connects2 CTSBM009.2) will convert the steering wheel buttons to a resistive signal that you can manually assign buttons with the joying SWC app.
Appreciate 1
Soterios575.00
      03-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #4
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
I personally have not done the joying install so there's that, but the Joying kit you linked only comes with the iso harness, antenna, external mic, gps antenna, and a usb cable.

I do know if you wish to retain steering wheel function you are correct that you have to purchase a CANBUS box harness. The rearview camera should work as long as it has video out. I purchased one that's very similar to the one you linked. Also do you have HK or HIFI? If so you might have to purchase one of those $99 Fiber Optic Decoder boxes.

As for the ODB2 you have to determine which type of Bluetooth signal your unit can pick up. For instance my Xtrons unit can pickup my cheap Amazon OBD2 unit to run torque, but I cannot connect to my JB4 Bluetooth 4.0.

I don't mess with TPMS at all seeing as how my 135i still lets me know when something is wrong.
Thanks for the info. I have the HK system in the car. Will that require the decoder?

As far is those ODB2 and TPMS function, I wasn't super concerned either, but they seemed interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingers View Post
unless joying has stopped support for their BMW canbus in their new headunits, ask for the BMW E90 motherboard and BMW E90 canbus harness for the 8.8inch universal model. I have this set up in the older 9inch units in my e87.

this E90 canbus will assign all the steering wheel buttons automatically with no option to change them. reverse camera, dynamic tracking guidelines and on screen parking radar, warning beeps work.

I believe the E82 canbus harness they linked you doesn't read steering wheel buttons signals... usually these type of universal harnesses (eg. connects2 CTSBM009.2) will convert the steering wheel buttons to a resistive signal that you can manually assign buttons with the joying SWC app.
That canbus harness I linked was just a random ebay harness I found for an example.

So I take it I have to 'order' through a customer service rep in order to get the correct setup or is there a 'notes' section in the order form?

Thank you
      04-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
Thanks for the info. I have the HK system in the car. Will that require the decoder?

As far is those ODB2 and TPMS function, I wasn't super concerned either, but they seemed interesting.
I'm pretty sure you will need the FIber optic decoder box. Did you ever go through with your purchase and install?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
turbodriven
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 and BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
I'm pretty sure you will need the FIber optic decoder box. Did you ever go through with your purchase and install?
Yeah, I'll confirm that you do in fact need a decoder box. I have the Harman Kardon system on my E82 (with the two fiber optic lines and no speaker wires on the back of the stock head unit). I have the box linked below. Seems to work fine. It's plug in play once you tap the three 12v/gnd/acc wires on it. It just converts the analog signal into fiber optics that go to your amp. Alternatively you could run speaker wires all the way to the amp (in front of the drivers rear wheel well) and splice in all the speaker wires to what's coming out of the amp. Or run wires to every speaker directly. But that would be a PITA. And you'd be cutting wires.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_
Appreciate 1
G3min1110.00
      08-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
Mr. Andrei
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
Yeah, I'll confirm that you do in fact need a decoder box. I have the Harman Kardon system on my E82 (with the two fiber optic lines and no speaker wires on the back of the stock head unit). I have the box linked below. Seems to work fine. It's plug in play once you tap the three 12v/gnd/acc wires on it. It just converts the analog signal into fiber optics that go to your amp. Alternatively you could run speaker wires all the way to the amp (in front of the drivers rear wheel well) and splice in all the speaker wires to what's coming out of the amp. Or run wires to every speaker directly. But that would be a PITA. And you'd be cutting wires.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_
Hey, where did you end up tapping the 12v/gnd/acc? I've tapped in, but it seems to work intermittently, sometimes the decoder doesn't come on, sometimes it does.
Appreciate 0