BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

USB port mp3 not working - can someone please help

I have read just about every one of the threads in this forum and nobody has been able to help.

OK, so I have been using a Datatraveler G4 16gb USB 3.0 stick for my MP3's in the armrest port. My 2008 135i does not have iDrive or the USB port in the glove box.
Anyway, I had a couple of thousand mp3's in folders (albums) on the USB stick and they all played correctly.
I had to use the USB stick for something else and then when I reloaded the MP3's the head unit just tells me to "insert USB" when I press the USB button.
I have it formatted to FAT32 and I "ejected" it from my laptop when I finished loading the MP3's on it. I also left it plugged into the car and drove for 45 minutes, still nothing. Tried unplugging it and plugging it back in while "on" and nothing changed.....
I also tried just a handful of MP3's not in folders - still nothing.

So I tried four other USB sticks, only two worked, one was a 1GB stick which doesn't hold enough. The others said "insert USB" except one which works fine with 500 mp3's on it. I don't know if it's 2.0 or 3.0. I would just use that one but I want more MP3's....and anyway....the old one used to work so it's bugging me.

What I don't understand is that the Datatraveler (USB 3.0) used to work just fine, now it doesn't. Could it be that the car has decided to not accept 3.0 anymore for some unknown reason ?
Also worth noting is that for a year or so now the clock doesn't remember the time and the trip meter zeroes itself. I read somewhere that is a fault caused by a failing battery - could that be why the USB 3.0 stopped working - the battery got so bad that it doesn't get the voltage needed anymore ? Seems unlikely, I don't have any cranking issues, just the clock and trip meter. And anyway, the battery issue was present (clock and trip meter) when the 3.0 stick last worked.

As a last resort, I know others said that the AUX in could be faulty if the USB is faulty......the AUX in works when I plug my ancient iPod into it - sound quality is terrible though, but I read that's a thing....

Does anyone know why my 3.0 suddenly doesn't work. Formatted correctly, no folders.....just doesn't work. I can play the files from it on my laptop.

Thanks in advance.
      03-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Since some sticks work, it tells you the car isn't at fault. I think what happened is the drive you were using did end up with a formatting change and now the car can't use it.

There's, I think, a 32GB limit to FAT formatting via the normal Windows method. Above that you have to use a more specialized software. Should be free but you'll have to find it. New drives tend to come this way and so it worked at first.

In the end, I think it's not actually formatted correctly is the only problem.
Appreciate 0