BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2021, 12:34 AM   #1
Niliooo
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i Coupe

2010 BMW 128i - Another Noob Fitment Question

Hey all,

Fairly new to the sub and it's been a pleasure to see how much everyone loves their cars here.

I myself own a 2010 128i coupe. Currently on stock setup - I had a tire leak recently and my suspension needs to be replaced so I figured it's the perfect time to get a new wheel + suspension setup and of course I have a few questions. Hoping you guys can help me out! I am fairly new to the car mod world.

I'm looking to upgrade to 18 inch wheels from the current stock 17 inch.
I will be dropping on Eibach pro springs and shocks.

I would ideally love to go as thick and as flush (not slammed or tucked) as possible on the wheels without any rubbing issues as I don't want to mess with camber or have to roll my fenders. I also want to stay away from spacers as a personal preference.

Tires: From my browsing on the sub so far, I'm thinking I could do 225/40/18 with 18x8 on the front and 245/35/18 with 18x9 on the rear with 35 offset all around. Would this fit my setup with the Eibach drop? Do I have room to go wider? Would love to hear if there are any common or standard setups that most people go to.

Rims: I absolutely love the silver Apex EC7. As I've never purchased after market rims before though, I'm not sure the best way to go about procuring them. I live in Toronto and not sure if I should just order online from the Apex website or go to a shop somewhere who may have them in stock.

Appreciate all of the help and really looking forward to enjoying the great content on this forum!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 12:41 AM   #2
Niliooo
Rep

Also shoutout to BAN_M2C
Your setup is sooooooooooo siiiiiiiiiiiiick. Would die happy if mine looked like that!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #3
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

9" wide 35 offset in the rear will not fit. Well, without body modifications. The front will also be aggressive but you can probably get away with it as long as you add negative camber.

APEX has very clear articles on fitment for these cars. Use that along with a wheel fitment calculator (many available on the web) to compare how far out you're pushing the wheels/tires compared to stock etc.

I bought some APEX wheels for my other car, direct from APEX.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

...and please, use the search function. There is a thread just below this one that goes into a lot of detail around fitment similar to yours..

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1819059
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 10:14 PM   #5
Niliooo
Rep

Thanks for the response asbrr .

Went through the APEX write up on the fitment.
Looks like the following will probably be my best bet which shouldn't require any change in camber, spacers, or fender roll:
Front & Rear: 18x8.5" ET45 with 235/40-18 tires

Wondering if this look would give me a flush enough fit or be too similar to a stock look.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niliooo View Post
Thanks for the response asbrr .

Went through the APEX write up on the fitment.
Looks like the following will probably be my best bet which shouldn't require any change in camber, spacers, or fender roll:
Front & Rear: 18x8.5" ET45 with 235/40-18 tires

Wondering if this look would give me a flush enough fit or be too similar to a stock look.
This is what the front looks like:
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...8-5&offset2=45

This is what the rear looks like:

The front will be almost 17mm closer to the fender than before
The rear will be 7mm closer to the fender than before

You have to look at how your car sits and decide what "flush" means to you. On stock m-sport suspension you might be OK without any changes, but seeing as the tires are taller front and rear if you have worn/tired shocks you might experience a light rub somewhere under big compressions/dips.

I am running stock rims and tire sizes (215/40/18 on 7.5 ET49 and 245/35/18 on 8.5 ET52), lowered about 10mm from M-sport on a Bilstein B12 kit, and Dinan fixed camber plates and M-arms up front. Camber at the front is -2.2 and rear about -1.7.

I have 12mm spacers at the front, and 10mm spacers at the rear (making my wheel offsets effectively ET37 front, and ET42 rear). This is what my car looks like:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...IB?usp=sharing

With the APEX listed sizes, the front will be about 5mm closer to the fender, and the rear will be about 3mm farther away from the fender. Remember your front is running a wider tire as well compared to mine so it will not only be closer to the fender but also beefier in general.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Niliooo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
This is what the front looks like:

This is what the rear looks like:

The front will be almost 17mm closer to the fender than before
The rear will be 7mm closer to the fender than before

You have to look at how your car sits and decide what "flush" means to you. On stock m-sport suspension you might be OK without any changes, but seeing as the tires are taller front and rear if you have worn/tired shocks you might experience a light rub somewhere under big compressions/dips.

I am running stock rims and tire sizes (215/40/18 on 7.5 ET49 and 245/35/18 on 8.5 ET52), lowered about 10mm from M-sport on a Bilstein B12 kit, and Dinan fixed camber plates and M-arms up front. Camber at the front is -2.2 and rear about -1.7.

I have 12mm spacers at the front, and 10mm spacers at the rear (making my wheel offsets effectively ET37 front, and ET42 rear). This is what my car looks like:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...IB?usp=sharing

With the APEX listed sizes, the front will be about 5mm closer to the fender, and the rear will be about 3mm farther away from the fender. Remember your front is running a wider tire as well compared to mine so it will not only be closer to the fender but also beefier in general.

Ah this really helps. Your car is beautiful btw.
Would be happy if mine turned out similar to yours. With your advice about how the front tires may look beefier im good with that.
3mm rears further way from the fenders I wonder if I'll even notice the difference.

Now I just need to wait until apex refills their stock so I can order!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks like you're on the right track in terms of fitment. You can order from us directly, but you will need to pay importation taxes when the order enters Canada. Many of our Canadian customers also use JRP to source our wheels as well: https://www.jrponline.com/

Ordering through them likely won't improve the ETA on the wheels but can simplify the overall costs for the order.

-Tom
      06-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #9
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
If you're in Toronto talk to Chris Kennealy at Burning Rubber, Oakville. He got me in on an Apex group buy. Great price on a set of Apex Arc8's, 18x8.5, ET45. Perfect fit, no spacers, look great.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #10
Niliooo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
If you're in Toronto talk to Chris Kennealy at Burning Rubber, Oakville. He got me in on an Apex group buy. Great price on a set of Apex Arc8's, 18x8.5, ET45. Perfect fit, no spacers, look great.
Ah sweet thanks for the hookup.
Mind posting some pics of your car?
Appreciate 0