BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
Maurtis
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

p1449 after battery replacement?

Hi all,

We just picked up a 2008 135i convertible with 57k miles a few weeks ago. It has been great so far and we drive it almost daily, but this morning I find the car will not crank. Figuring the battery was unhealthy enough to not crank, I jumped the car from our other one and drove to a local independent shop for a new battery. The voltage before the jump was 12.4 volts and running it was around 14.3, so figured the alternator was doing its job and the battery was just lacking the capacity to cold start the car.

The shop replaced the battery and she cranked up just fine, but I now have a Service Engine Soon light. I popped in my generic OBD2 dongle and used Torque to pull the codes and just saw a red p1449 code and several pending yellow p1449 codes. I cleared them with the app but the red code remained (or came back immediately). I stopped and restarted the car a few times just to see if it would clear, but it did not.

Now, I know those pumps can go bad and I ordered one to replace it, but was just wondering about the timing of the events. Is there anything the shop could have done to jiggle the connector loose or anything? AFAIK the pump is under the car and accessing the battery in the trunk should not get them anywhere near it?

Or could the low battery have caused the code to trip by mistake? Other than coincidence, the timing of the code popping up immediately after getting the battery replaced seems odd.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

https://www.tejaschapter.org/resourc...-vendors-shops

Cannot help other than to say try to make contact with one of the 6 recommended indy shops. "The shop" most likely doesn't know much about BMW's.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #3
Maurtis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
https://www.tejaschapter.org/resourc...-vendors-shops

Cannot help other than to say try to make contact with one of the 6 recommended indy shops. "The shop" most likely doesn't know much about BMW's.
Thanks! My neighbor recommended ATX Bimmer just 30 minutes ago, that is only 15 minutes away so if the pump replacement in our driveway does not fix the issue, we will give them a go. They will be our go-to for service as well since they are a bit closer than the dealership.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Maybe seems obvious, but was the new battery coded? If you don't code the battery, you can get a service light.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Maurtis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Maybe seems obvious, but was the new battery coded? If you don't code the battery, you can get a service light.
I am not sure, but assumed if this was the case the light would have a different code other than p1449? I am still having no-start issues this morning, so the battery was not the issue. But at least we have a new battery now. Dropping the car off at ATX Bimmer today so will ask them about battery coding. Thanks!

Last edited by Maurtis; 09-23-2021 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Maurtis
Rep

As a follow up, looks like the p1449 and battery replacement were indeed completely unrelated and timing was just coincidental.

My no-crank, no-start situation turned out to be a failing starter. That is getting replaced, along with the DMTL pump and brakes (they were pretty worn, but I was expecting that).

* Update *
It turns out the starter was not the issue, but a bad CAS module. We are up and running again, happily

Last edited by Maurtis; 11-09-2021 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Follow up on repair
Appreciate 0