BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
cloudy grape
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i 2011

Question tail light issue

hey guys, pretty new here so maybe this has been answered. I have a 2011 128i and the tail lights weren't working when i bought it. They only turned on when braking and for the turn signals. but regular running lights don't seem to turn on. I thought it to be maybe a wiring issue but I checked and the wires seem to all be fine. i even got a new set of taillights because mine were cracked to begin with. I installed them and I have the same issue, they only turn on when braking and signaling. Is there a fuse that controls that? The fuse diagram was not in my car and every diagram I've looked at online doesn't seem to show a fuse for the rear tail lights. I would appreciate any and all help!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Well I don't have a solution for you other than do not take car to a dealer. Their solution will most likely be 2 new tail lights at $$$$$$$. Try and find a good BMW independent garage; BMWCCA Chicago area club should help here. Otherwise, try to find a BMW owner with an older car.
BMWCCA membership gives you so many good benefits especially contact with their tech editor. Chapter listings often include recommended garages.
Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
Bimmer128i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy grape View Post
hey guys, pretty new here so maybe this has been answered. I have a 2011 128i and the tail lights weren't working when i bought it. They only turned on when braking and for the turn signals. but regular running lights don't seem to turn on. I thought it to be maybe a wiring issue but I checked and the wires seem to all be fine. i even got a new set of taillights because mine were cracked to begin with. I installed them and I have the same issue, they only turn on when braking and signaling. Is there a fuse that controls that? The fuse diagram was not in my car and every diagram I've looked at online doesn't seem to show a fuse for the rear tail lights. I would appreciate any and all help!
Quote:
If your talking about the led bars in the tail lights there is a board in the tail light that controls them. You will have to drill into the tail light to access the board though. I broke one of my tail lights and was able to move the board to another tail light to fix this issue. Ultimately i ended up buying the black line tail lights. But that fixed the issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
bnace10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i DCT Lemans Blue

Agree with the other guy, just get the blackline LCI and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
Jay15180
Rep

Have you tried switching the way the bulbs are plugged into the board? I had the same problem when I bought my 128i. Brake lights worked but the running lights wouldn’t turn on. Also for some reason the third brake light didn’t work. I put in brand new lights from FCP and had the same issue. By chance, I happened to reverse the way the bulbs were plugged in and both lights worked and the third brake light started to work as well.

Could have just been a coincidence for me but I would give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
cloudy grape
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer128i View Post
If your talking about the led bars in the tail lights there is a board in the tail light that controls them. You will have to drill into the tail light to access the board though. I broke one of my tail lights and was able to move the board to another tail light to fix this issue. Ultimately i ended up buying the black line tail lights. But that fixed the issue for me.
I bought black lines and installed them but the issue still carried over to the new ones
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
cloudy grape
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay15180 View Post
Have you tried switching the way the bulbs are plugged into the board? I had the same problem when I bought my 128i. Brake lights worked but the running lights wouldn’t turn on. Also for some reason the third brake light didn’t work. I put in brand new lights from FCP and had the same issue. By chance, I happened to reverse the way the bulbs were plugged in and both lights worked and the third brake light started to work as well.

Could have just been a coincidence for me but I would give it a shot.
reversed them how?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 05:02 PM   #8
Jay15180
Rep

Quote:
reversed them how?
As I recall, each tail light has a bulb holder/socket that powers the lights and one bulb that has its own socket. I believe in my case it was the single bulb that is outside of the holder. I took the bulb in its socket and rotated it 180 degrees. Somehow, that fed power to the running lights and fixed my problem.

Another possibility is the short circuit protection in the footrest module. If you had a blown light in the past and it was allowed to remain blown for a certain number of starts, the footrest module will cut voltage to the circuit. This situation requires that the counter be reset in the FRM. This thread has more information on how that is done.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012077&page=2
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2023, 01:06 PM   #9
Rwhelton
Registered
Rep

I have the same issue right now, just replaced with black lines and still have the ongoing issue. Rotated every bulb every way possible checked fuses, and all I have is brake lights, blinkers and reverse lights. So frustrating
Appreciate 0