BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #45
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Curious if you'll experience the some of the wireless performance issues some are complaining about in some of the product reviews and how it performs at night.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #46
bcote88
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 135i

also interested. I tried a garmin didnt work well
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #47
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Curious if you'll experience the some of the wireless performance issues some are complaining about in some of the product reviews and how it performs at night.
Look-it no doubt its easy install is a trade off for some performance frustrations. Here is my plan "B".

order a handle camera from Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/E82-E88-E84...item4189351e08

then add https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...ipad-mini-ipod

minor install but looks oem with fewer performance complaints... my installer can put a new reaview camera mirror in for $1200 plan "C".
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
Look-it no doubt its easy install is a trade off for some performance frustrations. Here is my plan "B".

order a handle camera from Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/E82-E88-E84...item4189351e08

then add https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...ipad-mini-ipod

minor install but looks oem with fewer performance complaints... my installer can put a new reaview camera mirror in for $1200 plan "C".
Or go Bimmer-Tech and get perfect performance and full factory integration.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-rear-view-cameras/

Here is my DIY write up and I did all the hard work for you in locating where to put the MMI box.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207855

Of course the Bimmer-Tech system requires that you have iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #49
Tuxedo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Here is my DIY write up and I did all the hard work for you in locating where to put the MMI box.

my first 1er had idrive this 2nd one doesn't, I read your write up awhile ago and great contribution for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #50
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:

That surely works great, but I have a hard time with nearly $700 for back up camera.
      06-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #51
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
That surely works great, but I have a hard time with nearly $700 for back up camera.
If you give them your email address, they'll give you 10% off. So it's actually $630.

There are other things you get for the price.

1) A fully factory integrated system. Which means not worrying about having some app on a phone or an additional screen to clutter up your interior.

2) Parking assist lines. None of the external, cheaper alternatives has these. The parking assist lines that are part of the Bimmer-Tech system will adjust based on the steering angle sensor.

3) The ability to add SmartView where you can mirror your smart phone's video to your iDrive screen. I use Waze extensively with this feature and it's so nice to have a larger display and not having to have to worry about yet another mounted screen to take advantage of Waze.

4) True plug and play which also automatically switches to the rear view camera when you put the trans in reverse.

5) The ability to add a front mounted camera and also display its video through the system.

When you look at everything the system brings to the table, that $630 doesn't look so bad. And did I say 100% reliability along with very good to excellent day/night video performance in a system that can easily be mistaken for a factory originated system?
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      06-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #52
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
If you give them your email address, they'll give you 10% off. So it's actually $630.

There are other things you get for the price.

1) A fully factory integrated system. Which means not worrying about having some app on a phone or an additional screen to clutter up your interior.

2) Parking assist lines. None of the external, cheaper alternatives has these. The parking assist lines that are part of the Bimmer-Tech system will adjust based on the steering angle sensor.

3) The ability to add SmartView where you can mirror your smart phone's video to your iDrive screen. I use Waze extensively with this feature and it's so nice to have a larger display and not having to have to worry about yet another mounted screen to take advantage of Waze.

4) True plug and play which also automatically switches to the rear view camera when you put the trans in reverse.

5) The ability to add a front mounted camera and also display its video through the system.

When you look at everything the system brings to the table, that $630 doesn't look so bad. And did I say 100% reliability along with very good to excellent day/night video performance in a system that can easily be mistaken for a factory originated system?
I understand exactly what the system does. Still a lot of money for a back-up camera on a $10K used 7 year old car.
      06-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #53
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I understand exactly what the system does. Still a lot of money for a back-up camera on a $10K used 7 year old car.
That can be said about a lot of things one would do to a $10k used car. In my situation, I bought my car new and installed it about a year after buying the car. So none of that was really a consideration on my part. Would I do it again given your current scenario? Probably because I don't like half assed solutions when there is a full factory integrated alternative.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #54
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
That can be said about a lot of things one would do to a $10k used car. In my situation, I bought my car new and installed it about a year after buying the car. So none of that was really a consideration on my part. Would I do it again given your current scenario? Probably because I don't like half assed solutions when there is a full factory integrated alternative.
If I understand correctly, this option only works if you have a car with iDrive, so it's a non-starter for many owners of E88 convertibles, including myself.

I personally don't trust backup cameras as much as I trust my own eyes looking backwards and using side mirrors. Call me old-fashioned. This would be doubly so when it comes to an aftermarket backup camera, no matter how well it integrates into the existing hardware of a given car.

The One Series as a general rule, the E82s, don't need a backup camera; they are very small cars and have excellent visibility rearwards from the rear view and side mirrors, plus directly by looking out the back. The convertible E88s, however, have piss-poor rearward visibility, which is an undeniable problem whenever the top is up. Bad design, BMW.

I am hoping that the stick on mirrors that Jim recommended earlier work as well for me as they do for him. That's a cost-effective, and potentially universal solution for anyone owning one of these convertibles.
      06-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #55
1N4ttro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Looking on their website, it appears you can set up a reverse trigger so you don't have to manually switch to the backup camera.
Really, I did not see that on the manual that came with it. This is what this connector to remote must be for to attach to reverse light line maybe . I will experiment with that later when I get time. For now I kinda like triggering the camera myself since I don't want the camera to go every time, only when top is up.
Attached Images

2009 135i M Sport • 6MT • Space Gray/Terracotta • JB4 • 261s
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #56
1N4ttro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I did consider this when I purchased and was a little concerned but I have not experienced any issues with it yet. Our cars are tiny so range should not be a problem and it has not been for me.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #57
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
If I understand correctly, this option only works if you have a car with iDrive, so it's a non-starter for many owners of E88 convertibles, including myself.

I personally don't trust backup cameras as much as I trust my own eyes looking backwards and using side mirrors. Call me old-fashioned. This would be doubly so when it comes to an aftermarket backup camera, no matter how well it integrates into the existing hardware of a given car.

The One Series as a general rule, the E82s, don't need a backup camera; they are very small cars and have excellent visibility rearwards from the rear view and side mirrors, plus directly by looking out the back. The convertible E88s, however, have piss-poor rearward visibility, which is an undeniable problem whenever the top is up. Bad design, BMW.

I am hoping that the stick on mirrors that Jim recommended earlier work as well for me as they do for him. That's a cost-effective, and potentially universal solution for anyone owning one of these convertibles.
Yes. You need iDrive.

As far as the E82s not needing a back up camera, I thought that at first before buying the system. I had an electrical gremlin which wasn't due to the backup camera system. I didn't have use of the backup camera for a few days while I was troubleshooting and didn't realize how convenient and dependent I have become on it. Yes, I still use my mirrors along with the camera but having the camera allows me to park so much better. Especially when I back into spaces where I can get really close to objects without hitting them.

The other side benefit is the ability to mirror my smart phone's screen to my iDrive screen which provides further justification of the cost of the system.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #58
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1N4ttro View Post
Really, I did not see that on the manual that came with it. This is what this connector to remote must be for to attach to reverse light line maybe . I will experiment with that later when I get time. For now I kinda like triggering the camera myself since I don't want the camera to go every time, only when top is up.
There's a small footnote on their website talking about the need for a custom installation. I tried poking around and didn't see any information on what is involved with this custom installation. I guess you can call into their tech line to ask.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #59
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I think zx10guy makes a pretty good case for the Bimmer-Tech system and if I had iDrive I would've gotten it as well. Also bought my car new and $630 or so is not that much imo when I think of the price of a new 135i, or a new 128i.
      06-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #60
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Yes. You need iDrive.

As far as the E82s not needing a back up camera, I thought that at first before buying the system. I had an electrical gremlin which wasn't due to the backup camera system. I didn't have use of the backup camera for a few days while I was troubleshooting and didn't realize how convenient and dependent I have become on it. Yes, I still use my mirrors along with the camera but having the camera allows me to park so much better. Especially when I back into spaces where I can get really close to objects without hitting them.

The other side benefit is the ability to mirror my smart phone's screen to my iDrive screen which provides further justification of the cost of the system.
A lot of the subjective value of a system such as this is going to be based upon where you live and where you park. When I'm in France, where I go twice a year, I sometimes have to park in some pretty tight spots, but then I'm parking a horrible French econobox, and if someone were to give me a small door ding, it would not ruin my vacation :-) The one I rented in April and early May was a Peugeot 208, which has a transplanted lawnmower engine in it. That car in addition to having only 5 speeds forward, has the reverse on the left instead of on the right. I'm still getting occasionally confused when I back up in any of my own cars, now, almost a month later.

Where I live and drive in Idaho, almost everyone else drives a huge badass truck or SUV, and the parking spaces need to be big enough to accommodate them. Parking a 1-Series car in spaces like that doesn't require very much effort (or cursing).
      06-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #61
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
A lot of the subjective value of a system such as this is going to be based upon where you live and where you park. When I'm in France, where I go twice a year, I sometimes have to park in some pretty tight spots, but then I'm parking a horrible French econobox, and if someone were to give me a small door ding, it would not ruin my vacation :-) The one I rented in April and early May was a Peugeot 208, which has a transplanted lawnmower engine in it. That car in addition to having only 5 speeds forward, has the reverse on the left instead of on the right. I'm still getting occasionally confused when I back up in any of my own cars, now, almost a month later.

Where I live and drive in Idaho, almost everyone else drives a huge badass truck or SUV, and the parking spaces need to be big enough to accommodate them. Parking a 1-Series car in spaces like that doesn't require very much effort (or cursing).
Must be nice. Here in the DC area, there are spots which are barely large enough to fit our 1 series. Imagine trying to park one of these urban assault vehicles into the same spot with enough room to even open the doors.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #62
1N4ttro
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Thinking of getting one for myself and my daughter and son. Wife already has a backup camera.

Interested in seeing your screenshot.
Update 20180612: added better lighting condition pics. Even with better lighting, like I stated before resolution is not this camera's strong feature. I wished camera was better but its simplicity and cheap price will make me keep it.

Here are some screenshots at dusk and night. Did not get a chance to get pics while sunny out this past weekend. Like stated before resolution is not this cam strong suit but it does its job decently for its price. Will update this post when I get a chance to get pics while sunny out but for now had to garage my 1 until I get a new battery I ordered coming this weekend.

1st (Far) and 2nd (Close) Pics: Dusk.
3rd Pic: Night Reverse Light.
4th Pic: Night No Reverse Light.
5th (Far) and 6th (Close) Pics: Sunny.
7th Pic: Inside garage lights on.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1N4ttro; 06-12-2018 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
Esteban43370.50
Tuxedo1407.50
      06-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #63
Tuxedo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Review

the pictures posted so far give nearly all the story
I think I'm gonna return and explore better options and here's why.
Cons: in this video Lookit shows a vivid picture to set an expectation I'll refer to as lies- http://lookitcam.com/EN/assets/Video...-PreComp-2.mp4 (this link only works in Safari and downloads for other browsers)
next con: had a buddy walk 3feet behind the car no image change, no image change poof he appears 2-3sec later. defeats the whole reason to have this technology installed with money invested in.
con #3: Looks and fits like poop, if motivated anyone grabs the bottom and pulls up it'll tear off the deck lid and leave damage.

This does have tons of pros.
Pro: Software and setup i'd give near perfect score, 5min setup user interface and user experience all intuitive.
Pro 2: holy shit easy install, zero swearword job! well one and that's Holy shit that was easy
Pro 3: knowing retail the packaging inside and out is deserving a marketing shout.
Pro 4: the bluetooth works well press the button phone asks to allow and you have back up camera on the phone, I have not figured how to permanently allow.

Conclusion: It's worth the money at $50-75 as I'll gladly pay the $150-250 if it could handle the video refresh rate needed to show a proper video like the web advertised gopro shot video. I think this product made custom or specific for a BMW plate bracket with more powerful guts and memory would win me over.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43370.50
      06-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #64
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

I have a 2012 135i coupe with factory amp, PDC, but no nav. I ordered these things and they should be here next week:

Joying 8" single DIN Android 8.0 head unit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOYING-Octa...0/272998950862

I chose this one because the screen is removable so I hope the 8" screen clears the dash and fits under the air vents and above the climate controls.

PAC RP4.2-BM21 smart harness.

Trunk handle backup camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010I2QH24/

I chose this one because the connector looks small enough to fit through the trunk wire tubing.

I'll update later with how the install goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #65
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
I have a 2012 135i coupe with factory amp, PDC, but no nav. I ordered these things and they should be here next week:

Joying 8" single DIN Android 8.0 head unit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOYING-Octa...0/272998950862

I chose this one because the screen is removable so I hope the 8" screen clears the dash and fits under the air vents and above the climate controls.

PAC RP4.2-BM21 smart harness.

Trunk handle backup camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010I2QH24/

I chose this one because the connector looks small enough to fit through the trunk wire tubing.

I'll update later with how the install goes.
It's been years since I did my backup camera install. But from what I remember, the connector for the Bimmer-Tech camera is much smaller than the one you linked to. I had some difficulty fishing the wiring harness through the wiring loom going to the trunk lid. It's definitely worth the effort running the wire this way but wanted to warn you about the possible increased effort.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #66
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

Ok I did a test fit of the Joying 8" single DIN with a Best Kits BKBMW3 dash kit and it fits fine. I'll start doing the wiring tomorrow, but I haven't received the backup camera yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tuxedo1407.50