BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Are you disappointed in the 1M now that it has been released?
Yes, not as good as I had hoped. 134 35.64%
No, lives up to my expectations. 133 35.37%
Ask me after its been properly tested. 109 28.99%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

12-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #23
Sugarphreak
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
It may be the first time that you've mentioned it. But it a teed and invalid argument. I'm not going to say why but disappointment has to be tangeble. Saying a car developed by M GmHb is not an M and called a 135is is an intangible argument and quite frankly is dumb. Say why you are disappointed ^in it.

Is it the LSD? The widebody?

It's proberby the engine. Hense the is comment but that isn't a valid point ecause an M is more than the sum of it's parts. The N54 is a good engine, and you should actually say what your beef is with it. I don't like the torque drop after 6k...that is a valid disappointment.

It's like saying George Bush wasn't your president because you didn't agree with his policies. The fact is he was your president just as the 1M is an M car
With regards to that specific statement; the fact the 1M does not include the carbon fiber roof, does not have a unique engine or transmission (tune, upgraded flywheel and cooler only) nor does it boast any kind of significant weight reduction over the 135i (70lbs) and as you mentioned unlike every other M-car in the BMW family it does not have the expected power bump, rather just 29hp... Then looking at the precedent being set in the 3 series with the 335is, it isn't just isn’t consistent with the naming convention. I wonder if it should be called the 135is

Now with that said, this isn't even a negative criticism... "is" cars in the past have all been good solid fun to drive models and usually worth the extra cost. They are named "is" aptly because they do only boost subtle improvements, with this new 1M that is all I am really seeing.

Yeah it has an LSD and wider tires... but nothing overly sweeping and dramatic, such as any of the other M cars VS their stock counterparts.

EDIT: One thing I did find kind of funny is over on the 3 series forums they are arguing that the 335is is too close to the M3 now... lol

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 12-10-2010 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #24
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
Then looking at the precedent being set in the 3 series with the 335is, it isn't just isn’t consistent with the naming convention. I wonder if it should be called the 135is
Yeah, but "is" cars do not have a completely re-tuned M suspension, wide bodywork, LSD, etc. The 6MT gear ratios may be the same, but the linkage is different as well. I don't believe the engine in the 1M is exactly the same from the 335is, as the M guys told us in Leipzig that the 1M's engine had higher tolerances. Hopefully we'll hear some more details on it at some point.
      12-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #25
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

To me, this is a good job of combining M parts, unique bodywork with an "is" engine. We can argue whatever we want, but this engine is the same engine installed at least in the Z4is, down to the exact same specs and overboost feature.

The difference is the plastic engine cover.

I would have rather seen the Z4is be classified as a Z4M -at least it has 15hp over the 335is- so in the scheme of "M things" this 1M would be without any doubt full M product. But as I see it, this is a put together parts bin special just to meet a extremelly tight production cost with a M badge, which it is not bad at all as long as there is a real "M cohesion" among all those parts together.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #26
49ER ROLL
///Mmm
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 SG

my only thing i can see right now that might worry me is how the interior door handle is going to wear.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #27
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

The reason the car doesn't seem like an M to me is the sense of compromise and cost cutting you feel as you peruse the parts/specs. There is something special about knowing that the S65 was developed specifically for the M3, and only for the M3. You feel it when you drive the car, the engine is in perfect harmony with the chassis. The sound and throttle response are ungodly.

I can't help but think of the nissan VQ series when I look at the 1M. The VQ is a very nice engine.... BUT It's hard to revere the Z cars when the Quest minivan at the stoplight next to you has a detuned version of your engine. Yes the N54/55 motors are fantastic in nearly every way, but they lack that special something.

Previous M cars feel from the ground up as though they were designed to be something special, unique. The 1M gives the sense of a really good car that was developed to take advantage of a reputation built on the shoulders of truly great cars.

That's my perspective having owned an E36 M3, E46 M3, E90 335, E93 335, E92 335, and E92 M3. In addition, having driven many many other great cars BWM et al
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #28
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

3 colors, really?
      12-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #29
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Color choice and no sunroof are my only complaints, but neither will keep me from buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #30
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

I think the car is fine but not as expected we were suppose to have a new version of the N55 with over 350hp under the hood and now we have a non M engine. The body kit is just a little bit too much and there is no CF roof. I just wish that the price of the car and the option will be adjust accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #31
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I'll say this as it is honestly how I feel (and probably be grilled for it, but keep in mind I am still being on list in 2 dealerships and yet to decide how to proceed, most likely wait for it and drive it before making final decision):

Had BMW not overly hyped this car for soooo long over the last yr +, with multiple stripteases, CEO appearances, corporate blue sky blah, etc. I think I would have been very happy with it. Maybe it is me and how I (mis)took their marketing, but I was expecting something truly unique and better than a car that essentially borrows an existing non ///M engine, raids the parts bin of a ///M car gracefully aging more than halfway in its lifecycle, and as such is not a ///M car built from the ground up as all others generally are. I understand sacrifices had to be made (no CF roof, stick cheapest Boston interior known to BMW customers, etc.) and in many ways appreciate BMW for even delivering this specimen, but at the end of the day, when was the ///M division about 'compromises'? I mean what is so truly new and unique about this car not found on others: Air Curtain, yupee! Not being a basher, just simply stating that per the expectations I had personally set (which I admit may have been off-camber), the car didn't deliver.

So to me, it is neither an "is" variant nor a capitalized "M", I'll call it the 1 ///m That's just my opinion, no one has to agree with it.

Again, I will withhold final judgement until I have a chance to drive her. Hopefully I will want the car as much as I have all yr long.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #32
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

I love the car. My only disappointment is no blue.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #33
Sugarphreak
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have been mulling over this for a bit, while the price is right against other competitors... it isn't right compared to the 135i. I was close to placing a pre-order, but for the moment I am holding off until I see some 3rd party reviews.

Now with that said, in the US you guys are talking only 9K over a 135i... up here in Canada it is likely to be 15K (based on other BMW cars MSRP).

With all the specs out, my honest and frank opinion is I don't see it being that much better than the 135i on the track (time will tell I guess)... it might do a marginally better with the suspension and LSD, but weight and power are very similar and could easily be achieved on the 135i for much less than the cost difference.

With the 2011 135i featuring the 306hp N55 with the scrolling turbo (which is supposed to feel more like an N/A engine) I might go that route instead. 15K would buy a lot of R-comp tires, a reasonable set of racing brake pads/rotors and dampers... and pay for race school and track fees for a few years to boot.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #34
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
With the 2011 135i featuring the 306hp N55 with the scrolling turbo (which is supposed to feel more like an N/A engine) I might go that route instead. 15K would buy a lot of R-comp tires, a reasonable set of racing brake pads/rotors and dampers... and pay for race school and track fees for a few years to boot.
yes, this option will bring many more smiles for miles and if tracking is your goal then this may be a better route given a budget. Don't forget upgraded oil and water cooling.

Heck, a 128 with upgraded brakes, suspension, and tires will be a ton of fun at the track and cost you much less. thats the route I would take if I wanted a dual purpose car. But, for a kick ass street car, that sees the track a couple times at best, its the 1M all the way.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:47 AM   #35
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
They need to change the tricolor stitching on the steering wheel to match the orange stitching elsewhere in the interior.

They should have offered a shade of blue.

Another 20 HP would have been perfect (but I'm sure Shiv will help us out).

Despite these small deficiencies, I'm pretty happy with the 1M. Unlike some, I am not disappointed with the N54 powerplant, and I am much more interested in a smaller somewhat lighter car with a responsive and agile chassis.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #36
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Just the 3 colour thing that I find to be a bit of a let down. Other than that, I liek! I liek!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #37
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar This View Post
my only thing i can see right now that might worry me is how the interior door handle is going to wear.
It will wear poorly. I had a alcantera steering wheel in my 2003 330i zhp and it deteriorated so much I had them replace it with a leather steering wheel under warranty. I thought the same as you when I saw it.

I think the interior is poorly done. The stitching on the steering wheel does not match the stitching elsewhere, the trim on the dash looks inexpensive, the before mentioned poor functionality of the trim on the door handle, and the alcantera should be in the middle of the leather seats to hold you better than slippery leather. The interior gets a 5 out of 10 in my book. I was really surprised.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:48 AM   #38
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This is a pretty clever car.

By clever I mean positioned and designed cleverly by BMW. It offers a return to roots approach along with bringing an M car to the market at a much lower price point than the M3. There has been near continual rumblings from the ranks of BMW M owners ever since the release of the E36 M3 - "too big", "too heavy", "too much luxury", even "too many options" - i.e. not enough of the homologation racer type of car. By reusing a ton of existing M3 parts (brakes, suspension, wheels, perhaps even the diff.) they get the performance AND cost benefits (as well as some prestige). Of course because the car, like all M cars, is a highly factory tuned version of a base model you automatically get nice cost savings there in manufacturing. The engine is also an existing engine with a slightly different tune so no development cost nor time there. Lastly, the clever optioning (or really lack thereof) which again simplifies manufacturing, marketing and their entire cost structure due to higher volumes of many parts.

This car is going to perform a lot like the E46 M3 in terms of raw numbers. It's power to weight is very close and as we know that's all that really matters for most metrics we all care about. I have to chuckle a bit about all those going nuts about the torque and torque to weight. Such numbers are absolutely unequivocally not the number that matters. But due to its size and much more advanced suspension (and even simply from a decade of general automotive advancement) it will surely out handle it and win in the fun to drive contest as well.

Other loosely related points:

As far as looks go this car is a big winner. Those fender flares are simply stunning. Another nice return to roots in terms of a very aggressive look.

I do think as BMW continues to reuse engines to a greater extent across models, M models and non-M models they will be tightening up on the security/encryption of their software. We've seen the comments here from insiders about "preserving that stature" of the M3 or whatever was said. BMW can't allow engines from very different cars and different models to be made nearly identical with some simple software.

The car will offer a huge improvement over the existing M3 in terms of fuel efficiency. Sure we don't buy M cars for efficiency, but heck, if you can have the performance and the efficiency why not? At least we can destroy the planet a quite a bit slower...

The only real disappointment here (for which there seems to be a glimmer of hope for resolution) is the lack of a DCT. Shame on those who are pleased that the car won't be offered with one. I suspect most of you haven't driven one both leisurely and aggressively. Note how multiple testers have already praised the throttle response in the upper rpm ranges (a bit suspiciously absent was praise about low rpms). Guess how much a DCT would complement this FI motor in order to help keep the turbos appropriately spun up on corner entry and then through the corners? Oh yeah I forgot all the real drivers would be too busy gloating about their heel and toe expertise to care about that...

As always there will be faster cars that will be less expensive but none will offer the refinement, quality, performance and experience of the 1 M for less money. I'll be quite keen to see the car go up against the likes of the top Japanese performance coupes/sedans.

Hat's off BMW. I'm quite impressed. I hope the car does live up the cleverness.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 12-11-2010 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #39
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
I have been mulling over this for a bit, while the price is right against other competitors... it isn't right compared to the 135i. I was close to placing a pre-order, but for the moment I am holding off until I see some 3rd party reviews.

Now with that said, in the US you guys are talking only 9K over a 135i... up here in Canada it is likely to be 15K (based on other BMW cars MSRP).

With all the specs out, my honest and frank opinion is I don't see it being that much better than the 135i on the track (time will tell I guess)... it might do a marginally better with the suspension and LSD, but weight and power are very similar and could easily be achieved on the 135i for much less than the cost difference.

I doubt very much that the 1M will come in with a 15k premium over the 135. putting it at ~60k. (2k more then the 335is). My suspicion is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 53k. We shall see. (I'm on the list regardless)

BTW. did you know that Canada sells more M cars compared to non-M Cars then any other country? I guess we like the best up here.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #40
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

I'm not disappointed but I'm not thrilled either. Like others, I feel that a lot of what was promised/hyped was dropped. Had I never known about those, I think I would have been more excited. I think I will stick with my 135i for now and then one day upgrade to an E92 M3 if the time is right and if it's still in production.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #41
H2Orower
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

My two part answer to the poll:

If I had been eagerly waiting to purchase the new 1M, then I would surely be disappointed with the final released car and specs.

But, since I just purchased a 135i M-Sport DCT in October, and very much enjoying the car, I am very satisfied/content with the details of the new 1M, because now I feel no temptation or nagging desire to own one.

Perhaps, I can appreciate BMWs intent to keep the car rather simple and pure, without too many added luxuries, but it's not consistent with the other M models. Several things are deal breakers for me personally:

-Lack of DCT
-No moonroof
-Exterior/Interior color options
-Engine stats vs. 135i

Last edited by H2Orower; 12-11-2010 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #42
C4747Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M & M5 Competition

whats with the powerplant? as someone had said earlier, some tech data says "twinpower" some say "twinturbo." So does it have the N54 or N55?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #43
Future M1 owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No BMW atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinp View Post
I'm not disappointed but I'm not thrilled either. Like others, I feel that a lot of what was promised/hyped was dropped.
Marketing 101:
Only do an elaborate tease if you have the final product to surpass created expectations. Expectations brought on by your own teasings, no less.

-The teased engine, subjected to many a racelap around the Nordschleife, turns out to be an already well known Z4/is-N54, nothing more;

-The mystery leather striptease patch on the fender in the end hides only a crease with an out of place M3 turnsignal.

-Keep saying for months "this is not the final interior!". Well, now it IS the final interior.

It's things like that just burst my bubble.

Last edited by Future M1 owner; 12-11-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #44
hangover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1

1000 units for US = ?x1000 HPFP's over x time.
Appreciate 0