BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Are you disappointed in the 1M now that it has been released?
Yes, not as good as I had hoped. 134 35.64%
No, lives up to my expectations. 133 35.37%
Ask me after its been properly tested. 109 28.99%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

12-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #45
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
It is a Marketing department car, not a true M Sport car.
That's ridiculous. What is a 'true' M car in your eyes?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #46
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
I have been mulling over this for a bit, while the price is right against other competitors... it isn't right compared to the 135i. I was close to placing a pre-order, but for the moment I am holding off until I see some 3rd party reviews.

Now with that said, in the US you guys are talking only 9K over a 135i... up here in Canada it is likely to be 15K (based on other BMW cars MSRP).

With all the specs out, my honest and frank opinion is I don't see it being that much better than the 135i on the track (time will tell I guess)... it might do a marginally better with the suspension and LSD, but weight and power are very similar and could easily be achieved on the 135i for much less than the cost difference.

With the 2011 135i featuring the 306hp N55 with the scrolling turbo (which is supposed to feel more like an N/A engine) I might go that route instead. 15K would buy a lot of R-comp tires, a reasonable set of racing brake pads/rotors and dampers... and pay for race school and track fees for a few years to boot.

I really couldn't have said it better myself. This sums up my feelings on the 1M. It's not that the 1M is bad. It's that the 135i is so good. And with some basic suspension work and a tune, my guess is, it's at least on par with the 1M on the track.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #47
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

A "true" M car starts with the engine (at least thats the way it used to be).

BMW ///M Division needs to stop worrying about cannibalizing sales from the M3, and actually tune the car according to REAL M specs. Having a non-unique "M" engine (that cannot compete with the S65) in the car really embarrasses all the work the M Division has done to it.

I love the fact that the 1M has proper hydraulic steering, a proper handbrake (not the electronic shit), and has a proper transmission. It will no doubt be a first rate road & track performer. What's disappointing is the choice of powerplant and lack of more colour choices (was really hoping for Interlagos Blue or Imola Red... M colours). Sorry... call me a snob but I see this car as an excellent 1er M-Sport model, but doesn't deserve the M moniker. After all... just like AMG, an M should have a real M engine, not a retuned non-M engine that has been relabelled.

Excellent marketing scheme though... BMW will be selling out of these 1Ms. Hopefully I'll be able to test drive one soon to put money where my mouth is.
      12-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #48
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
A "true" M car starts with the engine (at least thats the way it used to be).

BMW ///M Division needs to stop worrying about cannibalizing sales from the M3, and actually tune the car according to REAL M specs. Having a non-unique "M" engine (that cannot compete with the S65) in the car really embarrasses all the work the M Division has done to it.

I love the fact that the 1M has proper hydraulic steering, a proper handbrake (not the electronic shit), and has a proper transmission. It will no doubt be a first rate road & track performer. What's disappointing is the choice of powerplant and lack of more colour choices (was really hoping for Interlagos Blue or Imola Red... M colours). Sorry... call me a snob but I see this car as an excellent 1er M-Sport model, but doesn't deserve the M moniker. After all... just like AMG, an M should have a real M engine, not a retuned non-M engine that has been relabelled.

Excellent marketing scheme though... BMW will be selling out of these 1Ms. Hopefully I'll be able to test drive one soon to put money where my mouth is.
Does it start with the engine? Says who? I think an 'M' is based on overall harmony between the chassis, power-plant, greabox, brakes, etc.

340hp really is perfectly suited for the 1M. The fact is the n54 is one of the best engines ever built by BMW. Why wouldn't they massage it a bit for the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #49
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

" Hopefully I'll be able to test drive one soon to put money where my mouth is."

I do not think so. Here is an email to the manager of my BMW dealer. With answers in bold.

1. I have reservations to the Detroit Auto Show to see the 1M. GREAT!

2. I will not buy the car w/o a test drive. NOT GONNA HAPPEN

3. I will not buy the car w/o ordering it. UNDERSTANDABLE

4. Some say limited car, only 1000 coming to the USA. (inside line, edmunds) TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE

What do you say to my requests? Is this possible or should I be looking at a M3? M3
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #50
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

I mean, if you don't like the 1M, that's ok lol, someone else is going to buy it. There's only a limited number available and it captures a very specific niche - luxury performance compact RWD coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #51
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
It could have been so good if they hadn't restricted to not having the performance of the current M3. But even just having DCT probably would have made it at least equal to the M3.
Sorry but this could not be further from the truth. THE most important thing for a sports car is simply power to weight. That controls both straight line performance and even track times (to a slightly lesser extent). The 1M and M3 differ by just about 10% in power to weight. The 1M would need about 370 hp to have the same power to weight at the M3. A DCT is very roughly equivalent to about 20 hp, but not double that.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #52
Sugarphreak
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I doubt very much that the 1M will come in with a 15k premium over the 135. putting it at ~60k. (2k more then the 335is). My suspicion is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 53k. We shall see. (I'm on the list regardless)

BTW. did you know that Canada sells more M cars compared to non-M Cars then any other country? I guess we like the best up here.
With so much winter we have to maximize our summers

I hope you are right about the price, I did some price sampling between current US and Canadian cars; the percentages work out something like this;

3 Series Average: US price X 1.17
M Series: US Price X 1.25

So using these as the baseline; the 1M will be 54,000 to 57,000 CAD

BMW marketers if you are out there..., it would be nice if you consider our dollar is nearly on par with the US and will probably be that way for a long time... cut us some slack won't you?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #53
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I hope you are right about the price, I did some price sampling between current US and Canadian cars; the percentages work out something like this;

BMW marketers if you are out there..., it would be nice if you consider our dollar is nearly on par with the US and will probably be that way for a long time... cut us some slack won't you?
It's a toss up for me...new 1M or CPO E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #54
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

No high revving naturally aspirated engine = NO INTEREST FROM ME.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #55
Future M1 owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No BMW atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Then you're in for a boatload of disappointment over the coming years, my friend.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #56
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future M1 owner View Post
Then you're in for a boatload of disappointment over the coming years, my friend.
Why is that, do you think I am married to BMW?

Plenty of other manufacturers have not taken the easier forced induction route.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #57
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Name the premium manufactures who will offer high-reving NA power-plants at this price point...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #58
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

It seems to me that the biggest drivers of the wildly different pricing has to do with tariffs? Is it me, or does the US just simply not tax the heck out of imported vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Then you better stock up on CLASSIC M cars....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #60
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M

Quote:
I have been mulling over this for a bit, while the price is right against other competitors... it isn't right compared to the 135i. I was close to placing a pre-order, but for the moment I am holding off until I see some 3rd party reviews.

Now with that said, in the US you guys are talking only 9K over a 135i... up here in Canada it is likely to be 15K (based on other BMW cars MSRP).

With all the specs out, my honest and frank opinion is I don't see it being that much better than the 135i on the track (time will tell I guess)... it might do a marginally better with the suspension and LSD, but weight and power are very similar and could easily be achieved on the 135i for much less than the cost difference.

With the 2011 135i featuring the 306hp N55 with the scrolling turbo (which is supposed to feel more like an N/A engine) I might go that route instead. 15K would buy a lot of R-comp tires, a reasonable set of racing brake pads/rotors and dampers... and pay for race school and track fees for a few years to boot.
The sticker price might be $9k more down here, or $15k more up there, but you'll never be able to get it for that price anyway. There's absolutely going to be dealer markup on these, just like they do on every limited edition model. It's going to be absurdly priced by the time you take it home. So figure your track day budget just got even larger by opting not to get one of these.

I have a 2011 135i with the N55 right now, and it's as close to an NA engine as I've ever felt in an FI engine. Buttery smooth, absolutely zero discernible turbo lag...I love it. That's honestly my biggest source of disappointment with the 1M, I was hoping they would do a bespoke, amped-up version of the N55. It's an IS engine, in my mind; the N54 is dead otherwise. I think it's a damn shame that the went with an older engine to use up the stuff in the parts bin.

There are some other stylistic changes that I don't like, such as the rear bumper exhaust cutouts and the side-view mirrors, The front bumper is kind of "meh", but I like the front fenders. I absolutely hate the interior. Those doorhandles are awful, the wheel stitching doesn't match the seats, the alcantara cluster cowl looks completely out of place, they took out the power seats but included navigation?! I don't understand this car at all.

Save your money, get a 2011 135i, and put your money into track time.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #61
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Not for much longer. As demand for better fuel economy increases while safety mandates get more stringent, you're going to see a bigger & bigger push to FI engines. The days of the big V8 are coming to a close, I'm afraid.

Even good old Holden is reducing their V8 offerings. Sad times, my friend.

But don't worry, new FI engines like the N55 are damn good. Damn good.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #62
M_Anthony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
It seems to me that the biggest drivers of the wildly different pricing has to do with tariffs? Is it me, or does the US just simply not tax the heck out of imported vehicles.
We don't tax nearly as high as other countries do, but Canadians in particular get screwed over because of purchasing arrangements drawn up years ago before the CDN and the USD hit parity. Now they're in a position where they pay thousands more for absolutely equivalent merchandise with an equal currency. Oof.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #63
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Anthony View Post
We don't tax nearly as high as other countries do, but Canadians in particular get screwed over because of purchasing arrangements drawn up years ago before the CDN and the USD hit parity. Now they're in a position where they pay thousands more for absolutely equivalent merchandise with an equal currency. Oof.

Ouch indeed.... thanks for dropping the science!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #64
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Anthony View Post
I have a 2011 135i with the N55 right now, and it's as close to an NA engine as I've ever felt in an FI engine. Buttery smooth, absolutely zero discernible turbo lag...I love it. That's honestly my biggest source of disappointment with the 1M, I was hoping they would do a bespoke, amped-up version of the N55. It's an IS engine, in my mind; the N54 is dead otherwise. I think it's a damn shame that the went with an older engine to use up the stuff in the parts bin.

There are some other stylistic changes that I don't like, such as the rear bumper exhaust cutouts and the side-view mirrors, The front bumper is kind of "meh", but I like the front fenders. I absolutely hate the interior. Those doorhandles are awful, the wheel stitching doesn't match the seats, the alcantara cluster cowl looks completely out of place, they took out the power seats but included navigation?! I don't understand this car at all.

Save your money, get a 2011 135i, and put your money into track time.
At the pre-drive, we did ask why they chose the N54 and not the N55 and the response was that the N54 was their choice of the two. As I understood it, the N54 was the one that can be tuned better....

As far as the seats... the European catalog shows power seats as an option... navigation most certainly will be an option as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #65
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Quote:

You will start seeing more FI engines from other manufacturers. This is the only to to meet MPG requirements from the gov. This is the future.......
      12-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #66
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
....A DCT is very roughly equivalent to about 20 hp, but not double that.
How did you come up with 20hp gain with DCT?
Appreciate 0