09-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #67
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
The difference now is it is mostly software which is easily upgraded. Other then the LCD screen and interface knob which will likely be 'in-style' at least for the next five years.

The core processor, memory, etc should be more then capable of handling future upgrades.
Yep. I find it interesting and curious that a lot of people are trying to justify not getting the Nav.

Usually it's the putzes like us who paid the extra $$'s trying to justify!
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #68
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Yep. I find it interesting and curious that a lot of people are trying to justify not getting the Nav.

Usually it's the putzes like us who paid the extra $$'s trying to justify!
I dont see why anyone has to justify it for or against really.

If I want or need NAV I can just use my cell phone or a Garmin. Ive never had the need for it though. I just know if I needed NAV I would opt for a portable unit versus one fixed and attached to my car. I own multiple vehicles, why pay 2-3k per vehicle when my cell phone can work in all the cars for one low $200.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #69
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post

If I want or need NAV I can just use my cell phone or a Garmin. Ive never had the need for it though. I just know if I needed NAV I would opt for a portable unit versus one fixed and attached to my car. I own multiple vehicles, why pay 2-3k per vehicle when my cell phone can work in all the cars for one low $200.
The point is it is not just strictly there for navigation purposes. I agree a phone can basically do everything the iDrive can, but it's all about the execution and ergonomics.

I have a lot better time moving that joystick around than trying to load up Pandora on my phone or navigate an iPod menu while shifting and avoiding collisions.

Plus, the tune integration (see the video I posted the page before) is REALLY awesome to me, and I have some realistic ideas of what can be done with that screen.

But yeah, to each their own. I like the iDrive and it was worth the price to me so of course I got it. It WILL NOT detract from my driving experience.

Last edited by Fundahl; 09-19-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #70
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Main reason for ordering with Nav: (besides ease of music playback)
Finally a compelling argument for the screen on the dash. I assume this is programmed for the IPhone and the car screen is used as a passive display?

Bravo for interacting with the CanBus data. Are the bus/memory addresses for BMW steaming car data public or does one have to pay a SDK/License fee?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #71
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Tape-deck alert! My wife's second car still has it and we recycled it for a new tech purpose: the EasyPort Mount Kit of the TomTom XL GPS perfectly fits into the tape-deck. No GPS mounting and removal issues, no hassle with cables, 12V socket nearby (cigarette lighter), no sucking spots on the windscreen, no GPS wiggling, no bad viewing angles: just slide it in and pronto, baby!
Still using a tape-deck anno 2011? Defo, but not for playing music anymore.
Name:  Easyport.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  4.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #72
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Finally a compelling argument for the screen on the dash. I assume this is programmed for the IPhone and the car screen is used as a passive display?

Bravo for interacting with the CanBus data. Are the bus/memory addresses for BMW steaming car data public or does one have to pay a SDK/License fee?
Nope, it's from the tune to a microprocessor to the hijacked iDrive.

Trying to get some motivation for a Plug n Play kit for Procede/JB4 users!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578237
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #73
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post

Try driving your car someplace without a cellphone signal. Assisted GPS (a-GPS) like you find in the current batch of smartphones does not work in places like the really big national parks etc.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #74
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Try driving your car someplace without a cellphone signal. Assisted GPS (a-GPS) like you find in the current batch of smartphones does not work in places like the really big national parks etc.
I just realized, thats just it, for me this is vehicle number 4 or 5 so it will be lucky to get 2-3000 miles a year (my number 2 last year didnt even get 1000). For my primary or DD I guess I would opt for all the comforts. If it was my only car I may have viewed it differently, but again if I planned on keeping it versus trading in every 3 years would play a huge role. The fact that to me it becomes dated is a turn off. Imagine today driving a 1999 S class, do you know what the NAV is like on that thing??
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #75
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

The issue here is not that about NAV being good or bad. I like NAV in my minivan, wagon or family sedan. The real issue is the type of car the 1M is for. Yes, a few might need it because it is their daily driver and their job requires that they go to a ton of places they don't know, BUT the 1M is like a Harley...it's about the rumble, the sound, the experience. Getting a fully loaded NAV 1M IMO is like going camping with a battery operated television!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #76
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Most smartphones have GPS modules integrated for quite a while, Bluetooth GPS receivers are also available for some years. If you leave one of those in your car, you'll have the same accuracy and instant lock-on that OEM integrated NAVs have.

IMO best measure of performance of a NAV system: timely spoken instructions with street names. Don't like having to look at any display.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #77
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Nope, it's from the tune to a microprocessor to the hijacked iDrive.

Trying to get some motivation for a Plug n Play kit for Procede/JB4 users!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578237
Warning:

So you know the relevant addresses inside the tune? (yet doesn't some of that come from the OEM sensors/canbus itself)

Why not avail it to all (stock and tune) by using the iphone to replace the microprocessor. Personally I would find a boost gauge quite entertaining during drives. More so cool water temp and oil stats would be informative for the trackies among us.

Interesting stuff, good luck with it
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #78
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The issue here is not that about NAV being good or bad. I like NAV in my minivan, wagon or family sedan. The real issue is the type of car the 1M is for... Getting a fully loaded NAV 1M IMO is like going camping with a battery operated television!
Here! Here!

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #79
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
The issue here is not that about NAV being good or bad. I like NAV in my minivan, wagon or family sedan. The real issue is the type of car the 1M is for. Yes, a few might need it because it is their daily driver and their job requires that they go to a ton of places they don't know, BUT the 1M is like a Harley...it's about the rumble, the sound, the experience. Getting a fully loaded NAV 1M IMO is like going camping with a battery operated television!
There is nothing the 1M without NAV can do that the 1M with NAV can't...in fact, it's the other way around...you get all the benefits of the one without NAV plus more functionality. The actual weight of the packages is not enough to make a difference.

In summary, it's a matter of preference and there truly isn't a right or wrong way to order this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #80
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Quote:
no not really...the truth is every person will have their own justification for having it or not. It all comes down to why you bought the car (Daily driver, second car, track car etc...) and what your technical and aesthetic preferences are

I have mine fully loaded bc I personally feel it looks bare without the screen. I will not be tracking this car and it is my DD and my only car. So for my purposes, the NAV was really worth it and its not only for Navigation. I listen to alot of Music and the screen will be very condusive to my activities. ..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #81
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
There is nothing the 1M without NAV can do that the 1M with NAV can't...in fact, it's the other way around...you get all the benefits of the one without NAV plus more functionality. The actual weight of the packages is not enough to make a difference.

In summary, it's a matter of preference and there truly isn't a right or wrong way to order this car.
Sorry, not accurate! The seat height is a concern for some. Manual seats are much lower, more headroom and height adjustment. Also, if you put people in the back, the manual seats move out of the way faster instead of pushing the button.................forward...............then back.

While the seat height might not matter to some, I have seen people replacing seats because they find them high. Also, several reviewers have griped about high sitting position. In order to get NAV....you have to also take the first package so there is a real difference if you are tall, wear a helmet at the track or put kids in the back every morning and have to move the seats.

I won't bring up weight, because that will get a whole other thing going so we will leave that out but there is a real difference.

It's your choice but I think most think they are exactly the same seats just with motors but the height difference can be very important to some and should not be ignored.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #82
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Ok, but you're still riding the line of personal preference. Nothing you've stated makes one configuration better than the other. In fact, I couldn't care less for the extra 1-2 inches of headroom, along with many others on this forum; it is more the ones that like the electric seats than those who complain about them...kinda tells you something about the general consensus of this niche. That's like saying that the seats are not designed properly because people who are 350 lbs do not fit in them.

Moving the seats front and back: if it really bothers you that much to wait a couple of seconds, you really need to relax and find something better to complain about. By the way, I currently have my 135i with manual seats and I HATE the fact that when I move them forward they don't lock in place to allow easy in/out from the back seats...they continue wanting to slide back in place.

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, not accurate! The seat height is a concern for some. Manual seats are much lower, more headroom and height adjustment. Also, if you put people in the back, the manual seats move out of the way faster instead of pushing the button.................forward...............then back.

While the seat height might not matter to some, I have seen people replacing seats because they find them high. Also, several reviewers have griped about high sitting position. In order to get NAV....you have to also take the first package so there is a real difference if you are tall, wear a helmet at the track or put kids in the back every morning and have to move the seats.

I won't bring up weight, because that will get a whole other thing going so we will leave that out but there is a real difference.

It's your choice but I think most think they are exactly the same seats just with motors but the height difference can be very important to some and should not be ignored.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #83
Dick Brown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1m, Porche Boxster, Audi A8L

I love the NAV and never have noticed any sight line obstructions. The screen makes the dash a lot more visually interesting in my opinion and has come in handy numerous times.
Still way overpriced thought. BMW should bring it down to $700. and there would be a huge uptake I bet in people who order the NAV. Usually tech prices come down but this must be a cash cow for the Car Manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #84
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I currently have my 135i with manual seats and I HATE the fact that when I move them forward they don't lock in place to allow easy in/out from the back seats...they continue wanting to slide back in place.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #85
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
Hello,
I've driven a 135i with navi.
I'm currently 6 feet and I took a look recently and found that the top of the nav screen does not disrupt the view at all.
Seat all the way down and not leaned back like a gangster nor am I upright like my grandmother.

So what about my poor grandmother on track day?
Attached Images

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #86
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Most smartphones have GPS modules integrated for quite a while, Bluetooth GPS receivers are also available for some years. If you leave one of those in your car, you'll have the same accuracy and instant lock-on that OEM integrated NAVs have.

IMO best measure of performance of a NAV system: timely spoken instructions with street names. Don't like having to look at any display.
Of course they have a GPS module integrated, how else could you use a-GPS? All current smartphones use a-GPS by default to pinpoint your original location. Also, you will not see any map information without a cellular signal. You can buy some apps that locally store the maps locally but your mileage will vary.

In addition the GPS receiver on your thin and stylish smartphone is far weaker than that on a dedicated GPS system or something built into a car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...h_Assisted_GPS

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #87
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Question Easy choice for me!

It is all about preference. The million dollar question is, well more like $5100 question because BMW makes you order both packages to even get the NAV.

Do you prefer these items for $5,100:
Navigiation, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT & USB
•BMW Assist w/enhanced BT & USB
•Park Distance Control (rear only)
•Anti-theft alarm system
•Comfort Access keyless entry
•Power front seats with driver seat memory
•Auto-dimming mirrors
•Lumbar support
•Ambiance lighting

OR would you rather have something like this for the same money? I choose the latter!

Eisenmann exhaust system= $2000

ESS Direct Flash= $995

AFE Intake: $495

DINAN Stage 1 Suspension= ~$800(est. based on M5 pricing)
      09-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #88
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
And I thought this thread was about dashboard comparisons.
Appreciate 0