BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

So sorry! Especially bad when YOU didn't even get to wreck it yourself. Not sure but. You might be using the term "friend" loosely. Glad he's ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

So sorry to hear.

would everyone be shocked if I said I know of another situation with a 1M almost identical to this one??
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
So sorry to hear.
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova
So sorry to hear.

would everyone be shocked if I said I know of another situation with a 1M almost identical to this one??
I would be shocked. I can't believe someone would do something like this. I only have one very close friend that I would trust leaving my 1M with. It's not just because it's my pride and joy but also because it can be scary when not used to it. I have great respect for my car. The silver lining is that no one got hurt.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #27
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
I hope this makes you feel better....I was driving in a rainstorm at about 60mph in the slow lane in full safety mode and the idiot in a WRX flying by next to me lost control in the rain and hydroplaned into lane causing me to slam my front left side into his right passenger door sending both of us into a ditch....

All the parts have arrived in the shop from Germany after about 2 weeks. I am expecting her back this friday hopefully. I know it's not as bad as yours but I did sustain some heavy damage... I had to get a totally new bumper, new oil cooler, new front left side panel, new headlights and lots of new lining
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #28
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
^ that's awful!! What a knob

Sorry your bud wrecked your baby, glad he is ok...minus the nose, but you were going to bloody it anyhow right. jk
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #29
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Dack. I have a different theory on the broken nose.

OP punched him in the face.

I'm honestly surprised it didn't turn out to be a broken jaw. I've been in this situation before - and it sucks.

You and your "friend" need to have a serious conversation on how he plans to fix your irreplaceable car. You could try something that I've done before - total the car and then buy it back/fix it. Depending on if you can convince the insurance company of the cars value (shouldn't be too hard to dig up some old sales of Ms going for 70K) you can potentially even make a small amount of money out of it by sending the car to that guy in queens.

If not make your "friend" pay the difference.

But the point is you have options here. If it was just a rollover than the mechanicals Gould be relatively ok. A bent body isn't too difficult to replace and the interior - assuming full bag deployment here - isn't the end of the world.

Chin up - you'll make it through. Just make sure your "friend" knows that he's now responsible to make you happy and to make up for his stupid mistakes - if he doesn't want to threaten legal action. That's well within your rights at this point.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #30
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Sorry to hear of your loss. Good luck on getting another.

Interesting theory on the broken nose. Hand at 12 o'clock makes sense to me. The BMW Performance Center staff are also strong proponents of 10 and 2. Also no spinning of the wheel with one hand. Hand over hand. That's my normal way of driving but there were some drivers who were faster than me (not saying much) that had to be repeatedly reminded. Same guy had to be told to sit up straight. Laying way back would seem to help if an airbag went off, however.

Jim
      07-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #31
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sorry to hear about your loss and glad nobody was seriously hurt. I never let anyone else drive my car though for fear of something like this happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #32
alex s
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17/M2 '18/328dT '18/M3cs

Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear.

My VO is for sale if interested.

http://e30.us/4sale/1M/
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #33
B-Dawg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Former friend?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #34
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Yes - I'm well aware the car can be a handful for an inexperienced driver. I'm hoping insurance will cover replacement cost so I can get another. I love these cars.
Sorry to hear about the car, but at least the 'friend' is ok. Maybe Glassoman55 could repair your car like the other 1M's he has revived?

On a similar note, I always wondered why some owners were so thrilled by the low production numbers of the 1M and balked at the thought of additional cars being produced. When an unfortunate situation like this happens, it only makes it that more difficult to find a replacement. Good luck with the outcome.
      07-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #35
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon
I hope this makes you feel better....I was driving in a rainstorm at about 60mph in the slow lane in full safety mode and the idiot in a WRX flying by next to me lost control in the rain and hydroplaned into lane causing me to slam my front left side into his right passenger door sending both of us into a ditch....

All the parts have arrived in the shop from Germany after about 2 weeks. I am expecting her back this friday hopefully. I know it's not as bad as yours but I did sustain some heavy damage... I had to get a totally new bumper, new oil cooler, new front left side panel, new headlights and lots of new lining
Can you slip in some euro headlights?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #36
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Last night a 'friend' borrowed my VO 1M when I was out of town. He took it on a mountain road and somehow lost control and flipped the car onto it's roof. He sustained a broken nose but the car is completely totaled.
In the UK that would be classed as theft.

If that was me, he would no longer be a friend and I'd be (as would the insurance company) pressing for a prosecution of 'taking a vehicle without the owners consent'.

And then I'd break his fu**ing legs and arms to go along with his broken nose
      07-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #37
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
In the UK that would be classed as theft.

If that was me, he would no longer be a friend and I'd be (as would the insurance company) pressing for a prosecution of 'taking a vehicle without the owners consent'.

And then I'd break his fu**ing legs and arms to go along with his broken nose
In the US thats also considered theft. All the OP needs to do is file a police report.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #38
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
In the US thats also considered theft. All the OP needs to do is file a police report.
You would have to here in the UK, as the insurance company wouldn't pay a penny unless it was reported as theft.
      07-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #39
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
So sorry to hear.

Dont tell me........... YOU....?????
      07-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #40
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
You would have to here in the UK, as the insurance company wouldn't pay a penny unless it was reported as theft.
I suspect, but don't know for sure, that reporting the "theft incident" would be required for insurance here as well.

What kind of a "friend" "borrows" one's car without permission anyway..??!!

07-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #41
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I suspect, but don't know for sure, that reporting the "theft incident" would be required for insurance here as well.

What kind of a "friend" "borrows" one's car without permission anyway..??!!

Insurance is also entirely different in the UK than the US.

To put it simply - in the UK the person is insured. In the US the car is insured.
Theyre two entirely different ways of running the business.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #42
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Sorry to hear someone crashed your 1M.

The joyrider ("occasional driver") is liable for his negligence (cfr. duty of care - you do not 'borrow' a car without someone's consent and return it damaged). He owes you full compensation for the prejudice incurred. Even if he got your consent, he still was under an obligation to return the car in the same state as the one at the time of 'borrowing' it (except for force majeure circumstances).

If the joyrider is a decent citizen, he will do all what's possible for him to remedy the situation. However, if he's not co-operating appropriately with indemnification (blame game: "you allowed me to drive the car, so you accepted all risks" etc.), sue him (civil lawsuit) or get charges pressed against him (criminal lawsuit). That ain't no vengeance: the guy has to face his responsibility for what he has done (regardless of his financial situation).

Of course, I can perfectly imagine that, if you had the choice, you would like to have your limited edition car back in pristine state, rather than damages.

I wish you courage in dealing with this unfortunate event.
      07-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #43
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

man, this is a horrible story/situation. i feel really bad for you, and hope that you're able to find another car (hopefully another 1M) soon. keep us posted, and feel free to vent. i think we would all want to do the same!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #44
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

That's terrible. Most tuners offer a valet map which would have been ideal for situations where your car is left in the care of others.
Appreciate 0