BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
reqqq
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Oil temps won’t go over 180

It started yesterday when I was driving home when I checked my temps like I always do and i noticed that they weren’t going over 180. they were fluctuating from mid 160 to 180. I’m using a gauge cluster that is plugged into my obd2 sensor so I don’t think that the gauge itself has a problem. I went to get gas and turned off my car and when I turned it back on the temps were higher so I don’t think the thermostat is broken. Does anyone know how the oil coolers work? when they switch on and when they don’t? Because I think that for some reason it isn’t switching off and is constantly being cooled. Does the oil cooler automatically switch on depending on the outside temperature?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #2
reqqq
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

obd2 outlet*
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 02:56 AM   #3
Allen Aquino
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM8 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reqqq View Post
It started yesterday when I was driving home when I checked my temps like I always do and i noticed that they weren’t going over 180. they were fluctuating from mid 160 to 180. I’m using a gauge cluster that is plugged into my obd2 sensor so I don’t think that the gauge itself has a problem. I went to get gas and turned off my car and when I turned it back on the temps were higher so I don’t think the thermostat is broken. Does anyone know how the oil coolers work? when they switch on and when they don’t? Because I think that for some reason it isn’t switching off and is constantly being cooled. Does the oil cooler automatically switch on depending on the outside temperature?
I think it's best to take it to the workshop to get it checked out
Appreciate 1
Mosset0.00
      06-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #4
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: alpine white 135i

Sounds like the oil thermostat is stuck open.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchgolf135 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchgolf135 View Post
That would be my guess.

I run a larger oil cooler with larger lines and a 170 degree thermostat….

In normal driving my temps stay pegged at 170. That is enough to evaporate blow-by fuel from the oil, and I live in a very dry climate. I don't drive the car in winter. If it was a daily in a wet climate I would worry. I do enough track days (where oil temps get to 260ish in this setup) to occasionally get it hot. On the stock setup my ooo temps would hit 300 and cause limp mode within 5-10 minutes on track.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0