Closed Thread

04-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #1
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

aFe Momentum GT Review by BQ Tuning

FINALLY ! I have been able to follow up with this after 2 weeks of delay after collecting all the data needed.

Now the big challenge was the battle against the off and on weather conditions here in South Florida. One day it will be warm, the next day cold. The only time the weather is predictable is during the summer time...the next day is just hotter

The N54 I had the pleasure in testing out the new aFe intake on was a FMO+ 1M which just recently added the VTT hot side chargepipe outlet coupled with the VTT silicone inlets.

These results are "before" the VTT hot side charge pipe was added. The car is currently being retuned to get back on a dyno in a week or so.

Tests were done on the same dyno at AG Autosports in Ft lauderdale Florida. Very clean, open vented shop. The dyno shop is literally right across the Street from the Ft Lauderdale Executive Airport

https://www.google.com/maps/place/AG...8da5a00c560c82

As I was new to the shop I had to familiarise myself with the staff and letting them know the things I wanted. Sometimes it can be annoying to the workers when your only coming there to do a baseline as they really wanted to rent the dyno out especially with the tuner present, IMO. That's the feeling I got. Other than this they were all good to deal with. So asking for shop temps and external boost reading to be displayed on the dyno graphs was a hassle and perhaps getting under their skin. I get it, I get customers that are picky also. So I tried to get all the validated data I could.

The owner of the 1M previously had the aFe Stage 2 SI intake system for the N54. We put down 410 whp / 464 wtq shop temps were 75°f

A video to add of that day along with my Z4 being thrown on for some shits and giggles.

This was on March 5th 2016 1:50pm. Here is what the weather was as reported by airport just across the street

http://weathersource.com/account/off...nterval=hourly

The aFe GT Momentum which was designed based on my original concept of a vacuum sealed intake was installed the same day. We allowed plenty of time for adaptations to settle after a week or two on the 1M without retuning. However the unknown was predicting what will the weather be like on our next schedule dyno day.

I wanted it to be hotter of course, this is what I was hopping for. I wanted the intake to be at the "disadvantage" because this is what counts and the eliminates much of the hater and sceptic mentalities, and I got my wish.

On March 19th 2016 before noon we returned back to the dyno. Without retuning the car put down 405 whp / 459 wtq . Loss of power ? Yes. What were the shop temps at the specific time ? 86°f just before noon which was 11°f hotter than previous tested older model intake

http://weathersource.com/account/off...nterval=hourly

Now the N54 platform is primarily based on system "load" not boost. Boost is only a factor of load, just like timing, DA, temps, etc. The hotter it is the system load will be reduce which means power will be reduced.

Here is a log from March 5th dyno run more load and 1 PSI more boost

http://datazap.me/u/zayzay/dyno-run-...3-20&zoom=0-74

After retuning the car on the dyno to take more advantage of the new intake. It required less boost and less load to make relatively the same whp but with 14 wtq in gains.

http://datazap.me/u/zayzay/bq-tuning...3-20&zoom=8-95

So after the retune, which only require 1 revision map, we were able to produce 408 whp / 478 wtq in 11°f hotter temps and DA.

This is the dyno weeks later with the new GT momentum intake after adaptations settled but in hotter weather. Runfile 3 & 4 was before the retune, and RuneFule 5 & 6 was after retune

This is the older aFe Stage 2 and newer aFe GT Momentum comparison results 75°f vs 86°f

Here are the new logs with the new VTT hotside outlet chargepipe. I might as well post it cause I know some people will ask. This was only my second revision with VTT outlet.

http://datazap.me/u/zayzay/bq-tuning...3-20&zoom=5-98
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Surprised no comments to this thread! Great work
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

I'm interested but I really find this hard to follow.

Can we get a wrap up of the results in a couple of lines?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
why don't you make a comment of what you think?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Maybe no comments because at same temp, if I read correctly, only bump of 3-5hp; torque was up, but me, I don't think car needs/benefits from more torque at lower rpm's--already major stress to the other driveline components at the 450 level!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread