BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #45
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I still say changing the shift lever to that of a N54 Performance SSK is the way to go. It will get you 85% the Short Shifter feel. But sadly BMW does not produce the N54 SSK or rod. So I would say maybe to order a 128i Perf SSK lever or even one of the Z3M shifter rods and give that a try. Your most likely gonna have to do some "tweaking" bending of the rod lever... but that's not too hard. Just put the lever in a vise with some deep sockets to bend the lever into the desired form.

I just love my N54 Performance short shifter. Throws went from 80mm's to 55's. The 1M and N55 have 70mm throws.

On my e39, I installed a e60 550i shift lever(since that's what the internet suggested to mod with). Man, now my Performance shifter seems like a stock shifter. I think my e30 must have 45mm shifter throws. It feels really "tight" and compact. Much more so than my 135i. I'm happy with both car's shifters.

It will take some matching of BMW shifter rods... but most any rod will work. Just use one with a longer "lever" between the "ball" and the linkage hole. The longer this area... the shorter the throws.

The Z3M unit has the shorter throws. Probably 45mm or less - from 1st to 2nd gears.

Name:  SSK    ix_with_z3_stick.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  14.0 KB

Name:  SSK  shift_levers_z-models.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  54.1 KB
Appreciate 1
Tinsta189.00