BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Glovebox Lock Cylinder Replacement

Does anyone have a guide or insight on how to replace the lock cylinder for our gloveboxes?

I did a complete Beige -> Black Interior swap on my 135i and I am unable to use the glovebox lock as it is from the donor car.

I looked at E9X guides, and according to E9X chassis, there is a screw in the glovebox (behind the handle) where you can unscrew + easily replace the lock cylinder.

However, on the E82 it is just the felt covering.

I half disassembled the glovebox, which felt like I was breaking the plastic seams between the exterior trim & the interior. So I stopped there.

Any insight as to how to replace the lock cylinder?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Can you lift up the felt covering? There must be screws holding the outside and inside pieces together.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue View Post
Does anyone have a guide or insight on how to replace the lock cylinder for our gloveboxes?

I did a complete Beige -> Black Interior swap on my 135i and I am unable to use the glovebox lock as it is from the donor car.

I looked at E9X guides, and according to E9X chassis, there is a screw in the glovebox (behind the handle) where you can unscrew + easily replace the lock cylinder.

However, on the E82 it is just the felt covering.

I half disassembled the glovebox, which felt like I was breaking the plastic seams between the exterior trim & the interior. So I stopped there.

Any insight as to how to replace the lock cylinder?
New Tis is super helpful for these types of things: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nsoles/PLt2nTz
Appreciate 0