BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #23
carmaniac88
Vancouverite
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Anyone know if BMW Canada will honour the warranty of a US-bought car? If BMW Canada screws us on the exchange to the tune of $5000+ I would seriously consider buying in the States, provided the warranty and 4 years of free service carries over.
I don't believe they carry over the warranty in Canada if you don't have any service records in the US. That means if u buy the car new in the states, you're on your own. BMW Canada also charges $500 for a Recall Clearance Letter to have it pass inspection in Canada before you can insure it.

As for price, with the 335i priced at $52k for the coupe, I hope that the 135i will come at around $40k. Although, I suspect it will be closer to $45k. For the base 128i, $32k would be reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #24
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac View Post
I don't believe they carry over the warranty in Canada if you don't have any service records in the US. That means if u buy the car new in the states, you're on your own.
That's really bad news about the warranty. I hope you're wrong! I wonder what would constitute acceptable service to establish a service record - maybe get an oil change before you bring it back? :tongue:
Quote:
For the base 128i, $32k would be reasonable
Absolutely - but BMW being BMW, that is not what they are going to charge....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #25
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep

Attention: admin

An idea for future forum expansion - there is clearly an active group of Canucks on this board. I'm sure this group will continue to grow, so how about establishing a subforum for Canadians at some point down the road?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #26
123d
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
That's really bad news about the warranty.
Even with the warranty not available, I am still considering importing. For ~$10,000 I may take the risk and pay for any warranty items out of pocket.

An interesting article: http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/070710-2.htm

Just go build a 335i (coupe) on bmwusa.com and add 6% for import (it's not built in North America) and convert to CND and let me know if that is a good price for that car!! :eyebulgeI'll give you a hint... it's not much more than the 328)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #27
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123d View Post
Just go build a 335i (coupe) on bmwusa.com and add 6% for import (it's not built in North America) and convert to CND and let me know if that is a good price for that car!! :eyebulgeI'll give you a hint... it's not much more than the 328)
There should be a law! :biggrin:

Don't forget that on top of the duty you'll need to fork over 14% tax as well if you import - plus pay whatever is needed to modify the car for Canuck regs (at a minimum DRL, plus tacky KPH stickers for the speedo....). Of course your cost comparo still holds since the Canadian 328 price you reference doesn't include taxes either.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #28
123d
Rep
Drives:

Yes... actually, you will be paying 14% on $45,000 not $52,000 so you acutally save another grand or so in tax.

DRL is just a setting in the computer... so just get the dealer to set it before you leave the US... and the inspection at canadian tire is cheep. Oh, andyou don't need to change the speedo (as long as the km/h is on it as well... not sure if it is)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #29
coolray
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
An idea for future forum expansion - there is clearly an active group of Canucks on this board. I'm sure this group will continue to grow, so how about establishing a subforum for Canadians at some point down the road?
I agree as I will be getting one
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #30
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Good idea, Devon. Esp. wrt price, it keeps the constant currency and price conversion issue to a minimum. And I expect that, at least over time, BMW Canada offerings will differ somewhat from the US lineup...
      07-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #31
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Count me in.. I'm going for either the 128i or 135i Cab (depending on Canadian pricing), but most of the issues will be the same for Coupe & Cab.. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #32
jt328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 328i

Quote:
Great idea! Aside from the obvious price and packaging differences between the US and CAD, it also seems there's a big difference with the ED program. I'm thinking about doing it for the 1er based on the comments on this forum and Bimmerfest about the potential savings. But most of those comments are from US customers and it seems the CAD program does not offer the same magnitude of savings.

It would also be a good forum to discuss dealer experiences, independent BMW shops, MSRP diiscounts... all kinds of stuff. Count me in.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #33
GotBass?
Registered
Rep
Drives:

According to an other thread, the official price of the 135 coupe in the UK will be £29475.

The base price for a 335 coupe in the UK is £35775 while a similar car sells for $51600 in Canada.

Based on that, a price of about $42500 would make sense...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #34
123d
Rep
Drives:

Makes sense to me... and those Americans keep debating it:wink:
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #35
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
actually, you will be paying 14% on $45,000 not $52,000 so you acutally save another grand or so in tax.
That's correct provided you can avoid paying any form of tax in the US when you buy the vehicle. I know some states have a sales tax rebate program for non-state and/or foreign residents but in the age of the internet that is starting to change, since many states are currently losing major amounts of sales tax revenue thanks to the huge growth in internet shopping.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #36
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt328i View Post
Great idea! Aside from the obvious price and packaging differences between the US and CAD, it also seems there's a big difference with the ED program. I'm thinking about doing it for the 1er based on the comments on this forum and Bimmerfest about the potential savings. But most of those comments are from US customers and it seems the CAD program does not offer the same magnitude of savings.
This interests me as well. I thought I saw a posting suggesting that the Canadian ED program is going to be brought in line with the US one. The program would be hard to resist if we could buy a ED car for the same price in USD as the Americans do. We would get an extra 10% savings on top of the American discount as we'd avoid the 10% currency rip-off BMW currently imposes on Canadian sales relative to American prices.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 02:17 AM   #37
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBass? View Post
According to an other thread, the official price of the 135 coupe in the UK will be £29475.

The base price for a 335 coupe in the UK is £35775 while a similar car sells for $51600 in Canada.

Based on that, a price of about $42500 would make sense...
A valid analysis if we accept the assumption implicit here that BMW Canada will use the same currency exchange rates 9 months from now that they are currently using. An optimist would hope that BMW would finally come to (1) accept the fact that the Canadian dollar is not worth 75-80 cents US, hasn't been for a long time, and is very unlikely to be that low again barring a major recession given Canada's resource-based economy and the growing demand for resources wordwide; and (2) realize that they are losing so many sales by inflating their prices 10-15% over US levels that they are hurting their bottom line. On this, though, I am not an optimist.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #38
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

but 1 series are built in Germany not in US
So the price should decrease if the $cdn get stronger comparatly to the EURO not to the $us
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #39
jt328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 328i

Unfortunately, cars (and most retail items for that matter) aren't just priced according to exchange rates. You'll hear the manufacturers constantly saying that they're pricing to the market. So if an A3 or a B200, or even a Mazdaspeed3 or GTI, are in the low-to-mid $30k, you can bet that's where the 128i is going to get priced and it'll probably stay that way for a long time.

It's practically collusion, but unless we start buying fewer cars or buying them somewhere else (ie: the US or through the ED program), I'm afraid it's not going to change. If I were buying a used car, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in the US, but with a new car,the whole warranty thing is grey at best and it's just not worth the potential aggravation.

It's the price of living in Canada, I guess. That's another reason we need our own sub-forum... to commiserate over the injustice of being taxed more heavily and still pay more for stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #40
123d
Rep
Drives:

Does anyone know someone who has done an Canadian ED? There is little to no information about it anywhere (WWW). The only reference I can find to it is under the BMW Warranties section on the BMW.ca web site (sorry if there are typos, I am retyping it since it in done in flash :iono:):

BMW Canada Inc (BMW Canada) warrants to the first retail purchaser, and each subsequent purchaser, of Canadian specification vehicles imported by BMW Canada, or sold through the BMW Canada European Delivery Program to be free of defects in material or workmanship.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #41
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's practically collusion
Absolutely. You see the wonkiest excuses from the car company execs when they are asked about this pricing differential - typically something about how ongoing rate fluctuations mean they can't take the risk of exchange rates dropping during the model year after prices have been set and undercutting their margins. This hokum might have merit if the dollar had just shot up in the last few months but it's been up for years, and the carcos are getting margins appropriate to where the dollar was 5+ years ago now.

If BMW follows past practices for Canadian pricing I am going to carefully research the warranty and 4 year free maintenance carryover questions for US bought vehicles before handing BMW an extra 5-7K for a 1 series.
Appreciate 0