BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Raised ride height after Koni Active shock install

I've had the Eibach spring/Koni FSD combo on my car for almost 8 years. The drop to me was almost perfect. not slammed, but nicely dropped (see pic 1). Just installed the new Koni Active, which replaces the FSD, with the same Eibach springs and the ride height seems to be about OEM (second pic). WTF? Used same mechanic who did the original install. I thought it was primarily the spring that determined the ride height, not the shock. I don't remember the orinal setup needing to "settle". The car does need to be aligned tomorrow but I don't see what diff that makes to the ride height.

Not sure whether to contact Tire Rack or Koni. Pretty bummed right now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Were the original shocks blown? If so, the pressure in the new ones compared to lack of pressure in the old ones can account for some difference.

If not, it sounds like there may be some small change to the exact shape of the new shocks. Or something not put back together correctly, though since I haven't had this car torn apart yet I couldn't be specific as to what. You may find some older threads with a similar issue, would suggest searching as well as hoping for a better answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

As shocks wear out on these cars they tend to sit a small amount lower, it could have been a very gradual change so you didn’t notice... that being said different shocks can influence the ride height depending on how stiff they are.

On my old e46 M3 I swapped the worn out stock shocks with Bilstein b8 and eibach lowering springs, and was disappointed when the car sat almost the same as stock, it wasn’t until after I installed them that I found threads of people complaining about the same thing, and that thise particular shocks tend to ride a little high. Also maybe give it a few days, see if it settles a bit
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Shocks have nothing to do with ride height.

It could be the bottom of the strut isn't sitting on the expanded upper section. Or the the old ones where mashed in slightly, letting the strut slip a little lower.

And yes, springs generally need to settle when they sit in rubber isolators.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Shocks have nothing to do with ride height.

It could be the bottom of the strut isn't sitting on the expanded upper section. Or the the old ones where mashed in slightly, letting the strut slip a little lower.

And yes, springs generally need to settle when they sit in rubber isolators.
I can't find it, but, someone on here did the math that showed an additional small amount of spring rate - like that which would come from dampers - will effect ride height. So that and the gradual wearing of the mounts could be the cause with wear probably being the main factor.
      02-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the response everyone. I do remember when I did the original Eibach/FSD install I was very pleased with the stance from day 1. Something is off here.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
Thanks for the response everyone. I do remember when I did the original Eibach/FSD install I was very pleased with the stance from day 1. Something is off here.
Is it just in the front? Maybe the perch on the new strut is a little higher.
      02-06-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Which part number did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Which part number did you go with?

8745-1014 L and R for the fronts
8245-1094 for the rears

Double checked this with several sites before ordering from Tire Rack. This is correct for 09 128 with Sport Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Shocks totally affect ride height - blown struts won't offer any resistance to being pushed in like correctly functioning struts do. That bit of resistance can affect 1/4 - 1/2" of ride height.

Back in the day I've admin'd other boards and made spreadsheets of data from various members regarding ride heights of the different car configurations (engine and transmission types (and their weights) and the different aftermarket springs and struts. It was very clear the changes from this aspect alone that the ride height was affected. Saw it on my own car as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I understand, but as I mentioned before, I was happy with the original Eibach/Koni FSD combo the day it was installed. Had a nice drop from the beginning. For some reason this does not and it's using the same springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
I've had the Eibach spring/Koni FSD combo on my car for almost 8 years. The drop to me was almost perfect. not slammed, but nicely dropped (see pic 1). Just installed the new Koni Active, which replaces the FSD, with the same Eibach springs and the ride height seems to be about OEM (second pic). WTF? Used same mechanic who did the original install. I thought it was primarily the spring that determined the ride height, not the shock. I don't remember the orinal setup needing to "settle". The car does need to be aligned tomorrow but I don't see what diff that makes to the ride height.

Not sure whether to contact Tire Rack or Koni. Pretty bummed right now.
I'm assuming you're happy with the performance of the FSD/Active shocks. Do they really work as advertised. Right now my suspension is fully done with M control arms , M performance suspension, M3 front sway bar and Whiteline rear subframe bushings. If I could dial back the harshness a little , especially over expansion joints and pot holes the car would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #13
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was very happy with the Eibach/Koni FSD combo. Also switched to non-RF tires a long time ago. Haven't had these on long enough to get a good picture. Final alignment today.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have sent a message to Koni USA to see what comments they have. Probably something about settling over time.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

The correct answer to your dilemma!

The analysis of your problem is ridiculously simple.

Before the installation of the new struts/shocks, the ride height was satisfactory. Now with the installation of the new struts, the car rides higher.

Yes the springs determine the ride height, and you didn't change the springs. So what has changed? The answer is the new struts. Did you bother to compare the new stuff to the old? I can't think of any thing your mechanic could have done to cause the problem.

BTW, I agree the second picture looks OEM!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
The analysis of your problem is ridiculously simple.

Before the installation of the new struts/shocks, the ride height was satisfactory. Now with the installation of the new struts, the car rides higher.

Yes the springs determine the ride height, and you didn't change the springs. So what has changed? The answer is the new struts. Did you bother to compare the new stuff to the old? I can't think of any thing your mechanic could have done to cause the problem.

BTW, I agree the second picture looks OEM!

It's difficult to compare a new strut with an old on that is still on the car. I wear a size 40 suit jacket. If I buy a new size 40 jacket I should expect the new jacket to fit me in close to the very same way as the old.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
It's difficult to compare a new strut with an old on that is still on the car. I wear a size 40 suit jacket. If I buy a new size 40 jacket I should expect the new jacket to fit me in close to the very same way as the old.
You can't be that stupid, but I guess it's possible.

You always compare new parts to old to see if the physical dimensions are the same. Yes I know you had them installed, but even in that case, you should have asked your mechanic to first check them for any dissimilarities. That shouldn't have been a problem, since you had a relationship with him

I do most of my own work, but I do have other stuff done and stick around to see if any problems crop up.

I'm betting that you got a part for a newer or old model of your vehicle. This is something you should learn when you screw around with your ride making modifications, do the necessary research to make sure the part does what you require. I have run into dozens of problems with parts that seem correct that later turned out not to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Do you always have to be an a$$hole?
rowsdower640.50
icegrill2078.00
Gangplank1540.50
      02-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #19
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Do you always have to be an a$$hole?
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Gangplank1540.50
dtla1827.50
      02-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #20
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You always compare new parts to old to see if the physical dimensions are the same. Yes I know you had them installed, but even in that case, you should have asked your mechanic to first check them for any dissimilarities. That shouldn't have been a problem, since you had a relationship with him

I do most of my own work, but I do have other stuff done and stick around to see if any problems crop up.

I'm betting that you got a part for a newer or old model of your vehicle. This is something you should learn when you screw around with your ride making modifications, do the necessary research to make sure the part does what you require. I have run into dozens of problems with parts that seem correct that later turned out not to be.

Ignoring your insult, here's a bit of background:
- I've been "screwing around" with my rides for several decades and I do some of my own wrenching. My previous suspension setup was perfect for my use.

- I triple checked the Koni parts no.s for my car on BavAuto, Tire Rack and Turner Motorsport. I ordered from Tire Rack because they had the best price and were in stock.

In conclusion, these are the correct shocks for my car. I have reached out to TR and Koni for comment on the ride height issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #21
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

I'm also on FSD/eibach.

If you've spent money on bushings, arms, yadda yadda; odds are you're looking for a consistent handling car on track. And for that, I wouldn't go FSD.

I had hoped that it was soft and would stiffen under hard driving. That isn't the case. It's hard and softens under higher frequency. The best place I've seen this is driving over a washboard road. You don't feel a single bump. But expansion joints, you feel all of them very similar to sport suspension.

I feel I should have listened and gone yellows, for sport driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #22
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

I hate to agree with the troll, but I'd say he may be right here. Although the part may fit the car, the dimensions of the old and new parts may not be exactly the same. It could just be that the Active Shock has the spring sitting 1/4" higher than the FSD, but either will work on the car. The blown struts comment is also relevant though. A fresh strut may affect ride height a small amount.

Did you install camber plates this time? They add a bit of space between the top of the strut and the mount, and could explain why you have more space up front. It doesn't look like you've added camber from the pics, it's just one other thing I can think of that would affect ride height.
Appreciate 0