BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #23
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Got it in the mail recently. Letting it air out because it has that Chinesium smell (you know - the one that makes you gag).

I'll be doing the install either this weekend or the following... I'll probably document it since it looks like it's quite an endeavor.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 09:57 PM   #24
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Got it working.

When I last tried it with audio - only did it for like a minute.. It had a 2-3 second delay on audio. Super annoying. Not really *too* different from how the BMW sometimes acts over BT too. Maybe I'll try wired carplay instead. I don't think that hijacks the USB of the system though, I'm guessing. It probably uses that plug it just has laying around.

Haven't figured out where I'm going to mount the thing. Everything is taken apart right now. Accidentally broken a clip for the iDrive controller too. (It wouldn't come out...)

ALSO - pointless to take out the iDrive controller. It didn't need tapping, I think. So dumb - lol.

I'll either make a video or write something up. Maybe both. Did it all in pitch darkness on the street... so, it's been horribly unfun in this colder weather. Will do some more testing.

EDIT: It's because of wireless. Wireless carplay has a 2-3 second delay. Wired has none. You have to use the dongle included with the device - which is very annoying. That means you will be limited in your placement to some extent.

Last edited by TridenTBoy; 01-07-2021 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
houtan700.00
      01-07-2021, 10:19 PM   #25
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mghii View Post
You can install the andream unit - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000192794400.html

I have it running perfectly on my 2013 135i
How did you get the aux cable plugged in? Are you just running the cable on the outside? It seems so ugly to do it that way. I was thinking there'd be some internal connection...

Also - what about the microphone? Does it just hijack the system or do you need to really run the wire all the way around to get it working? I'm not looking forward to doing that.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 01:25 AM   #26
z0mghii
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
z0mghii

Did you take this picture before you swapped the CAN cable to option 3 (Low Speed CAN connect DVD)? In the photo it looks like the jumper is still connected (B to D) and (A to C) like option 1 suggested. Option 3 seem to suggest you remove D to B and simply do A to B.

Also to clarify, you didn't need to connect the idrive controller with the C connector? I'm pretty sure my setup will be identical but I have the HK sound system.

Thank you!

Picture for reference...

Edit...
This helped clarify but I will report back after I have time to tear apart my car for installation LOL:
Yeah don't look at my picture! The cables were all messed up, I was taking a bunch of pictures for customer support to help me debug.

Option 3 on the connect is what you want. I tried both 1 and 2 and it wasn't working. You'll see option 3 doesn't require running a wire to the idrive controller
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 01:27 AM   #27
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
How did you get the aux cable plugged in? Are you just running the cable on the outside? It seems so ugly to do it that way. I was thinking there'd be some internal connection...

Also - what about the microphone? Does it just hijack the system or do you need to really run the wire all the way around to get it working? I'm not looking forward to doing that.

I ran the AUX cable underneath the gear shifter and underneath the idrive controller.

The mic cable needs to hijack the mic that sits at the top, where the cabin light switches are. You can run the wires up the side pillars and into the roof fabric
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 01:28 AM   #28
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Got it working.

When I last tried it with audio - only did it for like a minute.. It had a 2-3 second delay on audio. Super annoying. Not really *too* different from how the BMW sometimes acts over BT too. Maybe I'll try wired carplay instead. I don't think that hijacks the USB of the system though, I'm guessing. It probably uses that plug it just has laying around.

Haven't figured out where I'm going to mount the thing. Everything is taken apart right now. Accidentally broken a clip for the iDrive controller too. (It wouldn't come out...)

ALSO - pointless to take out the iDrive controller. It didn't need tapping, I think. So dumb - lol.

I'll either make a video or write something up. Maybe both. Did it all in pitch darkness on the street... so, it's been horribly unfun in this colder weather. Will do some more testing.

EDIT: It's because of wireless. Wireless carplay has a 2-3 second delay. Wired has none. You have to use the dongle included with the device - which is very annoying. That means you will be limited in your placement to some extent.
Ah sorry to hear that I use wireless android auto and don't have any issues with delay. Perhaps your wifi antenna is mounted in an non-optimal spot?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #29
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
I ran the AUX cable underneath the gear shifter and underneath the idrive controller.

The mic cable needs to hijack the mic that sits at the top, where the cabin light switches are. You can run the wires up the side pillars and into the roof fabric
This isn't going to be fun. I have a convertible.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #30
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Quote:
This isn't going to be fun. I have a convertible.
It should be the same right? The mic is in the same spot I'm assuming. From this picture - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/fd...46c372059f.jpg

I see my setup working identical. The wire is routed behind the side pillar (it's easy to take off by removing the srs airbag tab and then unscrewing the screw behind it). Then the wire is tucked in between the front window and the fabric on the roof (which from the picture I can see also exists)

You can check out bimmertech's install guide - https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...8R62QCS_Vlwqig
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #31
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Quote:
z0mghii

Did you take this picture before you swapped the CAN cable to option 3 (Low Speed CAN connect DVD)? In the photo it looks like the jumper is still connected (B to D) and (A to C) like option 1 suggested. Option 3 seem to suggest you remove D to B and simply do A to B.

Also to clarify, you didn't need to connect the idrive controller with the C connector? I'm pretty sure my setup will be identical but I have the HK sound system.

Thank you!

Picture for reference...

Edit...
This helped clarify but I will report back after I have time to tear apart my car for installation LOL:
Yeah don't look at my picture! The cables were all messed up, I was taking a bunch of pictures for customer support to help me debug.

Option 3 on the connect is what you want. I tried both 1 and 2 and it wasn't working. You'll see option 3 doesn't require running a wire to the idrive controller
Thanks!

Here is a picture of the version of the Andream box I got. I suspect I have a newer revision or something. If you see option 3 in the video is slightly different than the diagram included on the cable LOL. What a mess with these guys. I'm sure it's a great product when connected but will be a real trail and error for me when I go tearing down the interior. I reached out to them and they seem to think option one is the way to go.

I'll report back when I have time to tackle this project. I'll need a full day of indoor garage time with all the tools ready to do the job. It's -11 here in Toronto at the moment so I'll need to be strategic and surgical about when and how to do this without breaking clips all over the place and making mistakes.

Also attached is a screenshot I found from another E82 guy who did the install. Not sure how accurate this is but again it will be a trail and error installation it looks like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #32
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This was also very helpful for anyone wondering where to mount the box itself. The mic cable can be run up along the right passenger A pillar.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26934550

Last edited by dandandan; 01-08-2021 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 02:23 AM   #33
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Here is a picture of the version of the Andream box I got. I suspect I have a newer revision or something. If you see option 3 in the video is slightly different than the diagram included on the cable LOL. What a mess with these guys. I'm sure it's a great product when connected but will be a real trail and error for me when I go tearing down the interior. I reached out to them and they seem to think option one is the way to go.

I'll report back when I have time to tackle this project. I'll need a full day of indoor garage time with all the tools ready to do the job. It's -11 here in Toronto at the moment so I'll need to be strategic and surgical about when and how to do this without breaking clips all over the place and making mistakes.

Also attached is a screenshot I found from another E82 guy who did the install. Not sure how accurate this is but again it will be a trail and error installation it looks like.
That guy M**g is me LOL, let me know if you have questions
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:18 PM   #34
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!

That guy M**g is me LOL, let me know if you have questions
LOL I had a feeling!

I'm just really surprised that connection #3 doesn't require the idrive controller connection. The Andream people sent me a more detailed description of the three options (my earlier post) and those show the idrive controller being used in all three options LOL. There's sooo much conflicting and stale/wrong information coming from them, it's really lost in translation.

Do you remember your dip switch settings? Also do you still have the box to compare the model numbers?

Also did you upgrade the software at all after you finished?

I'm sure I'll get it all working it's just going to be a pain to go through about 4-5 different possible methods wiring it and flipping dip switches. It would be nice to know in advance as I plan to disconnect my battery each and every time I swap the settings around and different connection methods.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:01 AM   #35
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Btw - do you guys know if it's possible to get the forward+back buttons to work on the radio? I can only use steering wheel controls right now. Pretty annoying as my hand is usually on the shifter.

Also, the buttons on the steering wheel are reversed for forward/back... :|
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:06 PM   #36
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

10 hour job but installed!!

I had to remove the trim around the passenger air vent, accent dash trim, passenger air vent, passenger A pillar, glove box, HVAC controls, trim around the CD player car computer, the car CIC car computer, DCT shifter, e brake boot, center console, passenger visor, sunroof switch.

I may do a video walk through for everyone as it's super involved but not impossible and can be a DIY once you know what steps to take and know where all the clips are.

In my case there was no need to use the idrive controller wire. A to B and dip settings 3/4 on worked perfectly!

I don't have the back/forth on the CD player working either.

Everything else is smooth sailing so far but I need to live with it and report back.

Last edited by dandandan; 01-18-2021 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:11 AM   #37
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Yeah, smooth for me as well. I don't have the microphone hooked up. I need to do that but because my car is a convertible - it's likely more tricky than other installers mentioned here. If anyone knows of a thread where people are taking off the trim for a convertible - let me know. I've had a hard time even figuring out how to remove certain pieces because there are no obvious screws or clips to undo.

EDIT: I will say - I can't tell if it's just in my head but sometimes the sound feels somewhat more hollow than when I plugged in normally. I don't know how else to explain it. Just feels like it's missing a fullness feeling. Also - audio levels are definitely weird. I can tell that it's not playing at 100% all the time when I compare how many turns of the volume knob I have to do... but then it has Google Maps directions completely clipping.

Wish I understood the levels better. It has some weird 0 to 18 range in the settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #38
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, smooth for me as well. I don't have the microphone hooked up. I need to do that but because my car is a convertible - it's likely more tricky than other installers mentioned here. If anyone knows of a thread where people are taking off the trim for a convertible - let me know. I've had a hard time even figuring out how to remove certain pieces because there are no obvious screws or clips to undo.

EDIT: I will say - I can't tell if it's just in my head but sometimes the sound feels somewhat more hollow than when I plugged in normally. I don't know how else to explain it. Just feels like it's missing a fullness feeling. Also - audio levels are definitely weird. I can tell that it's not playing at 100% all the time when I compare how many turns of the volume knob I have to do... but then it has Google Maps directions completely clipping.

Wish I understood the levels better. It has some weird 0 to 18 range in the settings.
Agreed on sound quality. It's not as rich sounding and the volume levels are much lower compared with the factory Bluetooth to HK sound system.

I'm planning on playing with the options to get music into the head unit with the goal of somehow preserving the sound quality.

In the 300+ page thread for NBT users there are some that mentioned options but it's hard to be universal with so many vehicle sound options and iterations.

I have three audio input option for my HK idrive system:

1. USB audio in
2. Bluetooth in
3. AUX in

I'm going to play around with all of those and see how I can get better sound if possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:05 PM   #39
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Sound quality is definitely lower. Did some testing. It’s like the bass is completely missing from some songs. A lot of the more subtle parts of songs are just gone.

I will be investigating to see if there’s a way to fix. For right now, this is a huge downside of the system.

Seems like the only way to get best audio is through wired connection in bmw mode regularly.

I tried wired carplay, bluetooth carplay, wired to bmw, and bluetooth to bmw. It was subtle at times but I could swear the wired to bmw had a noticeable difference in quality sometimes.

Nearly shattered my eardrums too when I switched from bluetooth to wired btw. The volume was cranked way up and I didn't realize bluetooth on my phone was at low audio.. Switching sources nearly killed me. Haven't had my hearing clip that hard in a long time.

Last edited by TridenTBoy; 01-17-2021 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #40
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My goal is to try and find a way to get digital sound in to the idrive while using Apple CarPlay visuals and still have all sound working for calls/siri.

Admittedly I'm still trying to find a solution and haven't had time to really test everything. There are a lot of settings to play with on both idrive and Andream.

I find the aux a huge sound quality drop and want my HK clarity back but with Apple Carplay interfacing. This is the end goal for me.

From what I understand, some will have these options for idrive digital audio in:
1. USB-in
2. snap phone armrest adapter in (with lightening jack adapter for iphone 5s/6/7) in
3. Bluetooth-in

Possibly some solution with tapping into the combox maybe??

For the Andream box it's usb-in and bluetooth/wifi combo-in but all the audio goes back to idrive via analogue aux-in. This is where quality is dropped.

There has got to be a way to get the best of both worlds with no trade offs.

Using USB-in (idrive) while wirelessly connected to the Andream for the CarPlay interfacing: This works for waze and spotify but not for siri from my quick test. SIRI still works but there is no audio feedback from the CarPlay Andream box. This seems to be the way to go but there are drawbacks. I still need to play around with the phone features tied to idrive via Andrem. I'm thinking you can set up Andream to use the idrive for calling/siri. I still need to tinker with this one.

I was looking into iPhone lightening splitters to maybe try and send the interfacing to Andream via USB-in but digital audio back to the idrive USB-in. This part is a bit more technical and I need to do more research. There are a lot of lightening jack splitters for digital cameras and other peripherals that may achieve the end goal.

I'm going to read all 300 pages of the F30 MMI thread as I remember someone else doing the same type of tinkering to try and restore the HK sound.

It's truly is the best sounding speaker set I own and would love to get Andream to play nice with the entire system.

Let the challenge begin!

Last edited by dandandan; 01-19-2021 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
houtan700.00
      01-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #41
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Unfortunate to hear about the sound quality issues on the HK I don't have the HK upgrade, and noticed sound quality to be the same on the basic system. Might be worth testing android auto as I haven't tested carplay
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 01:43 PM   #42
z0mghii
Private
Rep

Quote:
10 hour job but installed!!

I had to remove the trim around the passenger air vent, accent dash trim, passenger air vent, passenger A pillar, glove box, HVAC controls, trim around the CD player car computer, the car CIC car computer, DCT shifter, e brake boot, center console, passenger visor, sunroof switch.

I may do a video walk through for everyone as it's super involved but not impossible and can be a DIY once you know what steps to take and know where all the clips are.

In my case there was no need to use the idrive controller wire. A to B and dip settings 3/4 on worked perfectly!

I don't have the back/forth on the CD player working either.

Everything else is smooth sailing so far but I need to live with it and report back.
Yep for future readers - make sure dip settings 3/4 are flipped if you have the bigger screen. I spent weeks trying to figure out why things weren't working, and eventually figured out we had the bigger screens which required 2 switches flipped instead of 1
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:35 PM   #43
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunate to hear about the sound quality issues on the HK I don't have the HK upgrade, and noticed sound quality to be the same on the basic system. Might be worth testing android auto as I haven't tested carplay
I would describe it as totally acceptable sound quality over AUX, but direct to the idrive digitally on the HK system just sounds way more detailed and frighteningly sharp. There are details in some higher quality songs that are super 3D sounding and freak me out. Layers sounding so real it's hard to decipher as part of the song and sometimes sound like they are coming from the car or outside.

Hard to describe but let's just say the HK audio is impressive and I want to retain that detail.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #44
Anon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport DCT

Has anyone tried the coding options that allow the audio go to through the headunit instead of the 3.5mm Aux?

CDMM_AUX_HU -> aktiv
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_SINGLE -> nicht_aktiv
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE -> nicht_aktiv

Search for CDMM_AUX_HU in the F-Series thread for more info.

Update:
I tried reading my Headunit module with BimmerCode, but it was not able to read it. This is likely due to the CarPlay module.

Update2:
I unplugged the CarPlay module and enabled the settings above. The audio still went though the external AUX port. I guess this only works on the F Series

Last edited by Anon1; 01-23-2021 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0