BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Fuel filter?

Getting ready to do a 60K-mile service on my car, and one of the things I'm wondering about is fuel filters. I know there is a non-serviceable filter inside the fuel tank, but is there also a user-serviceable external filter? I know some BMWs have the silver-cylinder inline filter underneath the driver, but I can't find anything online or in the Bentley's manual that indicates that we have that. Seems kind of weird not to, though (I hate all this "lifetime" crap!). I guess I could go take a look, but figured I'd ask before I start removing underbody panels.
      05-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
As I understand it, the only fuel filter is a one piece assembly in the tank. As you say, a "Lifetime filter". Fairly expensive piece, haven't looked into the labor. Coming up on the same mileage and have thought about it, but I think in this case I think if I deal with it at all it would be more at the 150 K. mark. If you're running good gas through it, theoretically it should last darn near forever. We're lucky here to have access to ethanol free Shell 91 so I don't feel like there's any urgency.
Appreciate 0