BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-03-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Exhaust talk 2020 Akra Evo Mid-section vs MadDad

Sorry, the engine exhaust sub-forum is pretty quiet, so posting here....

I have the Akrapovic axle-back paired with a MadDad mid.

Considering an Akrapovic evo mid, but now they are a custmom order and fairly expensive. In videos, the Akra evo mid seems to sound great, but can anyone tell me in person if it is worth the expense over the MadDad?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
BadakVT
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M AW

I don’t think it’s worth it. Looks like the Akra is just lighter (titanium) and maybe a bit quieter with its bigger resonator.
Most likely not gonna change the exhaust note much and minimal performance gain.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      06-04-2020, 01:35 AM   #3
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadakVT View Post
I don’t think it’s worth it. Looks like the Akra is just lighter (titanium) and maybe a bit quieter with its bigger resonator.
Most likely not gonna change the exhaust note much and minimal performance gain.
Thanks for input.

Hard to know without hearing them in person, but there are a lot of videos with full evo and it sounds great on video, but really hard to judge from videos.

I do like my setup, MadDad really comes on about 4k rpm....I will probably stick with it.

Here is an Akra full clip...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:59 AM   #4
BadakVT
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M AW

I have full turbo back Akrapovic, I would offer to get you some clips with my phone but I don't think cat-less is where you're trying to go right?

Catless is too loud and drones at highway speed with the valve open. With the valve closed it's too quiet. So I actually got rid of the valve and installed the blanking pipe. I then cut 1/3 portion of the blanking piece. Now it sounds perfect with zero drones.

I've never heard one with Maddad pipe so TBH I'm in no position to comment on the sound.

But IMO both the Akra and MadDad mid-pipe main purpose is to get rid of those secondary cats on the OEM midpipe. I'm pretty sure Akra is charging you quite a bit of money for the custom order. I think the money is better spent somewhere else.
      07-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Had the Maddad mids on for awhile but sold and installed on a buddy's 1M he was completely stock and it sounds perfect...was too loud for my taste when paired w/ the Akra DPs and slip on. I went back to the factory mids to utilize the secondary cats. Needs a resonator, but sounds better.

You might want to consider something custom if you're looking to drop 2k+ on mids. I do believe the titanium will change the sound slightly.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
Had the Maddad mids on for awhile but sold and installed on a buddy's 1M he was completely stock and it sounds perfect...was too loud for my taste when paired w/ the Akra DPs and slip on. I went back to the factory mids to utilize the secondary cats. Needs a resonator, but sounds better.

You might want to consider something custom if you're looking to drop 2k+ on mids. I do believe the titanium will change the sound slightly.
Thanks for feedback, I have been daily driving the 1M more and it does sound pretty good.

I have stock down-pipes, MadDad mid-pipes, with Akra slip. I actually did not know that MadDad mid eliminated secondary cats. Do you know if the Evo mid does the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
Mogge94
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Thanks for feedback, I have been daily driving the 1M more and it does sound pretty good.

I have stock down-pipes, MadDad mid-pipes, with Akra slip. I actually did not know that MadDad mid eliminated secondary cats. Do you know if the Evo mid does the same?
Akra Evo Mid eliminates secondary cats and replaces them with resonators. Sound is way different than an N55 / MadDad mid.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50