BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #23
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by missapei View Post
if you ever have a chance to get PTF to make you a map ,you will feel what a real tunes are, i have got my n55 FBO stage 2 + with 5+ PTF maps, they will amazing you how smooth they are and the hp you gain, just go do it
They aren't doing any tuning at the moment. Working on f series.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #24
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
They aren't doing any tuning at the moment. Working on f series.
Yeah, I saw that. Based on my research, I had decided I would prefer to go with Ken anyway. I love that Ken is an N54 guru. He is away until the end of the month, but I am in no hurry. Car feels (and sounds) awesome, but there are some peaks and valleys at full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #25
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
UPDATE: I have been in contact with Ken at Wedge tuning and apparently Cobb no longer allows users to download Access Tuner Race for free (download is still free, but can't do it until you take a training course which you must pay for). ATC is required to run Ken's maps. He suggested I switch to MHD flasher.

Damn. I am not an android user, so I would need to buy an android device and the cable, not really interested in going that route. Does anyone know if BQ requires the end user to have ATR?

My remaining options are PTF (highly regarded, but currently unavailable while they work on their F80 development, no ides when they will be back in business for us) and a dyno tune by a shop in my area that is a Cobb pro-tuner.

Or stick with the OTS map, which has not been a disappointment.
Appreciate 1
ayao635.50
      07-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #26
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
I'm going to stick with pump gas. I have experience with e85 but don't want to go that route. Also do not want to upgrade the turbos.

This car is a weekend driver and sees 10 days or so on the track per year.
You're going to eventually need to upgrade your LPFP if you're already FBO even on pump gas, and then after that is exhausted few people are able to stay content and want more.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #27
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post

Damn. I am not an android user, so I would need to buy an android device and the cable, not really interested in going that route. Does anyone know if BQ requires the end user to have ATR?
If you hold on a bit more I will be onboarding with a local COBB Protuning shop and dealer. I am currently going through orientation and got about another week to go.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #28
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
If you hold on a bit more I will be onboarding with a local COBB Protuning shop and dealer. I am currently going through orientation and got about another week to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #29
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I also posted this in the general N54 forum, but here is my observation.

The primary difference between stage 1 and stage two is the cats. According to Cobb, I could run stage 2 if I have their downpipes which have high flow cats. Since I run the MadDad midpipes, I figure I am only running high flow cats to begin with.
That puts me somewhere between stage 1 and stage 2, or probably closer to stage 2.

I decided to try the OTS 91 Octane stage 2 map. It felt strong as hell. I fill with 92 Octane E10, the best gas we have here, so there is a margin of safety on the octane rating.

I did some datalogs and noticed timing corrections across the whole engine during spool up, usually just before it reaches peak boost. It is more extensive if I do a run from 1500 RPM's, and sometimes doesn't happen at all if I go WOT at 2500 rpms. The corrections go away as peak boost is reached (16.5-17psi), and are not seen again as boost holds, tapering to 13 psi at redline. I flashed back into the Stage 1 map to see if that did it also, and sure enough, same pattern. Timing corrections just shy of reaching peak boost which then go away and stay away until redline. Every time from 1500 rpms, much less and sometimes not at all if I drop the hammer at 2500 rpm's.

Is this perhaps a normal part of spool up? I would worry more if it happened at high rpms. In normal driving, I never go WOT at 1500 rpm's.

Also, I am going to use data logging to figure out what the M-button does because with either map (linear throttle on both), it makes a VERY subtle difference. I am not sure if it is still changing WG, or if it changes the relation of pedal position to throttle position. I'll report back on that.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #30
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Well, I reinstalled stage 2 and gave it some more runs. Ambient temps were a little lower than last night (84F instead of 94F) and I saw only rare timing corrections at WOT running the Stage 2 map, none most of the time.

I then set up my 6 gauge monitor to show all 6 cylinders timing corrections and drove around normally for about an hour. At part throttle (10-20% throttle according to review of logs later), timing corrections happened a lot below 2000 rpms, but the car felt fine. When reviewing the logs, I was pretty happy with the WOT results, and a little nervous about the part throttle stuff. I googled "BMW part throttle timing corrections" and found this:

https://blog.protuningfreaks.com/201...eliable-power/

Now I feel better. I am going to keep the stage 2 map on for a few days and let it learn then do some more runs. I may even autocross with it on Saturday.
Appreciate 1
Tom30311.00
      07-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #31
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I ran datalogs while toggling M mode on and off. For 11 seconds, I held the throttle steady at 10.2% with no variation (that is a skill BTW) and toggled M mode once per second. The actual throttle position alternated between 6.2% and 7.4%. I was not datalogging the wastegates, but now that I know the M button changes throttle position relative to pedal position, I will set my realtime gauges to monitor those along with the wastegates and see what they do. That will be trickier because changes in throttle position will likely effect the wastegates, so I will want to see what happens in both modes at the same throttle position, so I will need to monitor that and adjust pedal input to match throttle position for the comparison to be meaningful.

At least I can confirm what others have suspected. The M-button still changes something with Accessport installed.
Appreciate 1
Tom30311.00
      09-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #32
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Now that I have been driving around with the Cobb installed for 6 weeks, I am less and less impressed. I am stuck with their 91 octane maps, and neither stage 1 or stage 2 seem to be a good fit. Both make about the same power.

I worked on a custom tune, but that did not go well, 15-20 revisions and major part-throttle drivability issues that would not go away. Back to OTS maps.

There are very few options now for eTuning on Cobb if you do not have the ATR software which now requires a paid training prior to download. PTF is still unavailable. I have reached out to Motiv twice, haven't heard back. My local Cobb pro-tuner charges $700 for a full dyno tune, but actually told me that the OTS maps are so good its not worth it. They mostly do Subaru Cobb tuning, so I think they just aren't familiar with the BMW platform. They certainly did not give me confidence that it would be money well spent.

There is another local shop that dyno tunes on MHD for much less and they are an N54 parts fabricator and do N54 single turbo conversions, seem to know their stuff pretty well. I am going to buy their FMIC and may just have them tune it.

So, I am considering switching to MHD which seems to be the platform of the future for N54. I am just past my 30-day money back period for Cobb, but have asked them to allow a return. If they do, it will be a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #33
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren 600LT

I'm running Stage 1 + FMIC Sport Map Stock Throttle... and it PULLS!

Will report back when I go do my first dyno session.

Just like you, I'm running the 91 Octane rating tune since they only have 92 Octane Fuel here in the PNW
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #34
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
New custom tune, same tuner, different starting point, awesome amazing results. My car seems to be picky about certain things, but in the end I have a map that pulls like a banshee, is smooth as stock, puts a smile on my face, scares the kids (LOL) and keeps the tailpipes clean.

Appreciate 1
DSCPLN91.50
      09-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #35
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie
New custom tune, same tuner, different starting point, awesome amazing results. My car seems to be picky about certain things, but in the end I have a map that pulls like a banshee, is smooth as stock, puts a smile on my face, scares the kids (LOL) and keeps the tailpipes clean.

Can you post a log?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #36
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post

Did you switch to MHD?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #37
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Did you switch to MHD?
No, really didn't want to. Props to BuraQ who worked some magic!
Appreciate 1
ayao635.50
      09-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #38
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
Can you post a log?
Here you go . . .

http://www.datazap.me/u/bjymewa/log-...og=1&data=3-15

Averaging numbers from two datalogs taken in opposite directions on the same stretch of road, WOT from 2k, the car accelerates from 3k-5.5k in 3rd gear (roughly 45-85mph) in under 4.6 seconds. On the OTS map, that was 5.1 seconds with same methods. It's quick!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #39
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
I've been running a custom 1M tune from Ken at Wedge Tuning on MHD for about a year now, although, I store my car in the winter and I weekend drive it so I haven't spent loads of time messing with it.

I'm running the tune essentially on all stock parts with the exception of upgraded MSS tires in stock size.

I have a few mods to install which I just haven't had the time yet:

Forge FMIC
Forge Diverter Valves
ER Charge Pipe
AR Downpipes

I think I'm on my 3rd revised map from Ken and last weekend I had some time to myself to do some trial runs/tests.

I used the Torque Pro app on my phone and measured the Horsepower (whp) and Torque (lb-ft). Now, I know the Torque app is probably not the most accurate reading but I figured I see what it was spitting out.

Here's the results:

357.5 whp = Roughly 417hp at the crank
413.3 lb-ft = Roughly 560hp newton meters

Again, don't know how accurate that is but that's not too shabby. That result was done in 3rd gear from about 50km/h to 120km/h with M button on if I remember correctly.

Not sure if I'll get a chance to install the rest of my mods before storing the car for winter but hoping that number goes up a bit more once the mods are in.

I highly recommend a Wedge Tune, Ken's great to work with.
Appreciate 2
COChris888.50
ayao635.50
      10-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #40
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Mods are in my sig. Cobb AP with custom tune by BuraQ for 92 Octane E10 pump gas.

RWHP and torque measured on a Dyno Dynamics, no corrections.

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #41
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie
Mods are in my sig. Cobb AP with custom tune by BuraQ for 92 Octane E10 pump gas.

RWHP and torque measured on a Dyno Dynamics, no corrections.

Must be a monster. What is day to day drivability like? Curious as I've had mixed results in other cars in the past.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #42
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
Must be a monster. What is day to day drivability like? Curious as I've had mixed results in other cars in the past.
It took a while to get that just right, tweaking things based on my descriptions of what I was noticing. For the past several revisions, it is as smooth and predictable as stock in part throttle whether on boost or not, especially in normal mode. With M-mode on, it is noticeably more eager to go, like a hyperactive kid, but that is to be expected and is not a bad thing when it is asked for.

I used to ALWAYS put the car in M-mode even for daily driving because I preferred the responsiveness. Normal mode is now at least that responsive, but continues to reward a deeper pedal with much more power on tap. I drive the car in normal mode most of the time now, no need to toggle M-mode. I will have to wait for next year to see what I prefer for autocross, which will use this map, or the track which will have a slightly detuned map above 4k rpm for heat management.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #43
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
I've been running a custom 1M tune from Ken at Wedge Tuning on MHD for about a year now, although, I store my car in the winter and I weekend drive it so I haven't spent loads of time messing with it.

I'm running the tune essentially on all stock parts with the exception of upgraded MSS tires in stock size.

I have a few mods to install which I just haven't had the time yet:

Forge FMIC
Forge Diverter Valves
ER Charge Pipe
AR Downpipes

I think I'm on my 3rd revised map from Ken and last weekend I had some time to myself to do some trial runs/tests.

I used the Torque Pro app on my phone and measured the Horsepower (whp) and Torque (lb-ft). Now, I know the Torque app is probably not the most accurate reading but I figured I see what it was spitting out.

Here's the results:

357.5 whp = Roughly 417hp at the crank
413.3 lb-ft = Roughly 560hp newton meters

Again, don't know how accurate that is but that's not too shabby. That result was done in 3rd gear from about 50km/h to 120km/h with M button on if I remember correctly.

Not sure if I'll get a chance to install the rest of my mods before storing the car for winter but hoping that number goes up a bit more once the mods are in.

I highly recommend a Wedge Tune, Ken's great to work with.
Something goofy there; you will never have peak HP at same rpm as peak Torque (HP will always be at higher revs).
Appreciate 0