BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Official 1-series Coupe Press Release/UK

OFFICIAL PICS: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523

BMW 1-series Coupe

BMW is extending the 1 Series line-up in the UK with a new model consisting of a brace of high performance twin-turbocharged engines and a diesel capable of a frugal 58.9mpg. The new BMW 1 Series Coupé goes on sale in the UK in November and will be available in 120d, 123d and135i guises. The 135i marks the first time a twin-turbo petrol engine has powered a 1 Series, while the launch of the 123d heralds the introduction of the world’s most powerful production four-cylinder diesel engine.

The flagship of the range is the BMW 135i with its 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged petrol powerplant. Offering 306hp from its light alloy and magnesium straight-six engine, the 135i is capable of accelerating from zero to 62mph in 5.3 seconds before going on to an electronically-limited top speed of 155mph. Peak torque of 400Nm from just 1,300rpm through to 5,000rpm ensures smooth yet rapid progress and in-gear flexibility.

Courtesy of High Precision Direct Injection for the most efficient burn of fuel mix and Bi-VANOS variable valve technology combined with lightweight engineering principles, the BMW 135i is capable of frugal motoring while maintaining its top end performance. The 2,979cc engine posts a 30.7mpg figure on the combined cycle and a CO2 emissions figure of 220g/km. BMW’s EfficientDynamics programme seeks to boost engine performance while at the same time cut fuel consumption and emissions. Second generation High Precision Direct Injection and Brake Energy Regeneration are both elements of EfficientDynamics deployed on the 135i Coupé.

Frugal yet sporting
The BMW 135i is joined in the range by another twin-turbocharged model to offer a unique blend of performance and economical motoring. The 204hp four-cylinder engine in the BMW 123d Coupé sets a benchmark for small diesels. Its 1,995cc powerplant is the world’s first all aluminium diesel to have an output per litre figure in excess of 100hp – something only BMW M cars usually attain. It is also the first four-cylinder production diesel to come with twin-turbo technology. Peak torque is 400Nm from 2,000rpm, while the engine revs to in excess of 4,400rpm where peak power is attained. This performance equates to a zero to 62mph time of 7.0 seconds and a top speed of 148mph – previously unheard of figures in such small capacity production diesels. By comparison the output of the four-cylinder BMW 123d betters that of established six-cylinder diesel engines from both Audi and Mercedes.

The BMW 123d Coupé also makes financial sense. Its 138g/km emissions figure sees it fall into the Band C Vehicle Excise Duty tier while the fuel consumption figure on the combined cycle is 54.3mpg. It is aided in this by the use of elements from BMW’s renowned EfficientDynamics programme. The 123d comes with Auto Start-Stop technology, Brake Energy Regeneration, third-generation common-rail fuel injection, a diesel particulate filter, active aerodynamics, Electric Power Steering and low rolling resistance tyres.
For customers seeking an entry point into the new 1 Series Coupé range, the 120d offers another option of style, driving dynamics and parsimonious motoring. Its 1,995cc four-cylinder engine mixes a 177hp output and a zero to 62mph time of 7.6 seconds with 58.8mpg economy and emissions of just 128g/km. The same EfficientDynamics technologies used on the 123d are also deployed on the 120d.

Dynamic capability
Like every BMW before it, except xDrive models, the new BMW 1 Series Coupé has 50:50 weight distribution and a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive configuration for the best in driving dynamics. To offer the most compliant yet sporting ride and the best in directional stability, the 1 Series Coupé has a double-joint spring strut front axle arrangement with a five-link rear suspension. Such an arrangement allows engineers greater scope in fine tuning the ride characteristics of the car.

Dynamic Stability Control is standard on the 120d Coupé to act as an electronic safety blanket for the driver. Dynamic Traction Control is a further function of DSC that permits a greater degree of wheelslip for more spirited driving. The BMW 123d and the 135i come as standard with Dynamic Stability Control+ with its five additional safety features of Soft Stop, Hill start assistant, Brake Drying, Brake pre-tensioning and Brake fade compensation. In addition to this the 135i Coupé has a high performance braking system featuring six-piston callipers for greater retardation.

Design
The BMW 1 Series Coupé uses the same architecture as the three- and five-door models, but is shrouded in an elongated coupé body to emphasise the sporting nature of the car. The 1 Series Coupé is 4,360mm long (133mm more than other 1 Series) and 1,934mm wide (1mm more). The slight increase in body size means the boot space swells from 350-litres to 370-litres. A standard 60:40 rear seat split permits greater load flexibility allowing for items to be stored in place of one or both rear seat occupants.

The BMW 120d Coupé will be available in ES, SE and M Sport guises, while the 123d Coupé will be offered in SE and M Sport and the 135i Coupé just as an M Sport. M Sport raises the specification bar by including 17-inch light alloy wheels on the 120d and 123d Coupé but unique 18-inch light alloy wheels on the 135i Coupé, M Aerodynamic package, M Sports suspension, Sports seats, High-gloss Shadowline exterior trim, M leather steering wheel, M designation door sills and Anthracite headlining.

Prices for all three models will be announced closer to the on sale date.

Model//Power-Hp/Torque-Nm/Zero-62 mph-Seconds/Top SpeedMph/Combined-Mpg/
BMW 120d Coupé 177 350 7.6 141 58.9
BMW 123d Coupé 204 400 7.0 148 54.3
BMW 135i Coupé 306 400 5.3 155* 30.7

* Electronically-limited

Source: BMW UK : News
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Repost....:wink:

See #119...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...p?t=499&page=8
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Yeah, I know, but there's so much info here I thought it should seperate from the pics thread.:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Yeah, I know, but there's so much info here I thought it should seperate from the pics thread.:biggrin:
Just giving you some shit. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Just giving you some shit. :biggrin:
Sheesh!

Interesting the Brits get 2 diesels and the 135 as their initial choices-
and it looks like M-sport package is offered across the line-up.
That's good for us if the 135 costs out at :eyebulge: prices.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
danp
Private
Rep
Drives:

why announced in the UK do you think ? (as opposed to Germany / Worldwide site ?)

No 130i ! Damn shame !
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
si1972
Private
Rep
Drives:

Rip off Britain

Probably because the UK pay the most £$ for cars... the 135i will be at least £30k over here which equates to around $60k US. So they want to get the big buck victims first lol
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
davidl
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325, 91 M5

It's nice to see that they didn't detune the engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danp View Post
why announced in the UK do you think ? (as opposed to Germany / Worldwide site ?)

No 130i ! Damn shame !
More to come from BMW...obviously- but why UK?
Good question...perhaps they jumped the gun and this is just the beginning of official stuff coming down the pike.
I expect pics & more details will begin in sunami fashion almost right away...
maybe wishful thinking but I think this is the start of the embargo's end.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
bum944
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Not familiar with the UK market, but in the U.S. I'm sure they'll offer a normally aspirated gasoline engine and I wouldn't be surprised if the 135 was detuned a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The press release for the UK market is on line because someone within BMW UK broke the embargo set for later on today.
As this is another stage in which a BMW product has been leaked unofficially.

Word in Munich is BMW high ups are severely pissed about the leaked pictures.
They do not show the full detail of the car due to the quick shoot nature of the photography.
The real photographs for the car give a much better impression .

But anyway here we go the closure to the car I initially "prepped"since the hatch was released in 2004 on CSS to later postings on GCZ and of course you fine people.:biggrin: we have come along way and now here we are on the eve of the launch of the new BMW 1er Coupe.

Whilst specifications relate to the UK market and of course Germany and the rest of Europe - sadly the diesels will not be available in the USA but an additional petrol model will be offered as will the M sport package as the small BMW performance Coupe.

However starting with Europe first. Additional petrol engines will be launched, engines that befit the sporty,dynamic nature of the new BMW 1er Coupe.

North American cars go on sale in April 2008.

Of course the Cabrio is ongoing , but you will see additional Coupe shots - basically testing new engines , developments and a NA six cylinder upodate engine which suggests the development prototypes of the M1are about to
appear on the horizon.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #12
318TI
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Nice car, but YOU can't have one

Very nice. Now if someone from BMW could please explain to me why the 3 door models are not coming to North America, that would be swell.

In a market where 3 door offerings from Volvo & Mercedes are doing excellent sales, BMW doesn't seem to get it. Do they think everyone wants to drive a dam sedan? Why would they bring this in - to compete with the 3 series sedan?

I was in Berlin a few months ago, picked a brochure from the BMW store and I was excited when they told me the 1 series 3 door WAS coming to North America. I went down to my dealer with my deposit only to be told it wasn't going to happen (or more specifically, they didn't know - and they NEVER know nor do they care.)

A 120d would have been a huge success in North America and I for 1 would have bought one.

My next BMW will be a 3 door or I just won't be buying one. Instead I'm considering a Volvo.

I sure wish the powers that be at BMW would pull their collective heads out of their collective asses.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

No weight or tranny info
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #14
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318TI View Post
Very nice. Now if someone from BMW could please explain to me why the 3 door models are not coming to North America, that would be swell.

In a market where 3 door offerings from Volvo & Mercedes are doing excellent sales, BMW doesn't seem to get it. Do they think everyone wants to drive a dam sedan? Why would they bring this in - to compete with the 3 series sedan?
I'm always a big fan of offering as many choices as possible so people can buy exactly what they want, and get what meets their needs. But since nobody from BMW is gonna jump into this discussion and tell you why the 3 door hatch is not offered in the USA, allow me to offer an explanation...

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The press release for the UK market is on line because someone within BMW UK broke the embargo set for later on today.
As this is another stage in which a BMW product has been leaked unofficially.

Word in Munich is BMW high ups are severely pissed about the leaked pictures.
They do not show the full detail of the car due to the quick shoot nature of the photography.
The real photographs for the car give a much better impression .

But anyway here we go the closure to the car I initially "prepped"since the hatch was released in 2004 on CSS to later postings on GCZ and of course you fine people.:biggrin: we have come along way and now here we are on the eve of the launch of the new BMW 1er Coupe.

Whilst specifications relate to the UK market and of course Germany and the rest of Europe - sadly the diesels will not be available in the USA but an additional petrol model will be offered as will the M sport package as the small BMW performance Coupe.

However starting with Europe first. Additional petrol engines will be launched, engines that befit the sporty,dynamic nature of the new BMW 1er Coupe.

North American cars go on sale in April 2008.

Of course the Cabrio is ongoing , but you will see additional Coupe shots - basically testing new engines , developments and a NA six cylinder upodate engine which suggests the development prototypes of the M1are about to
appear on the horizon.
Just as I thought...Brits jumped the gun. Cool!
Seems this happened with the 3-ers last debut and the entire brochure was leaked, scanned and posted on various websites.
I expect we'll see tons of stuff coming out in literally waves of info and pics.

Note that Scott confirms M1. That's good enuff for me- but plans can always change. Also mentions BMW bigwigs pissed over the recent low res pics. Sometimes I think Scott has to provide cover...in this case I don't know- they are awful photos. Add that in with the UK press release and you can see that BMW is barely keeping a lid on it. Probably wise to issue some official docs/pics now before the leaking turns into a river and they no longer are in control and management of something they've worked very hard for.
Christmas in the summer.
:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #16
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

So all the Brits got was one lousy little picture for they're online PR??? Its awesome that BMW decided not to detune this car. With so many haters, this car will need all the points it can get. I'm getting one nontheless.
      06-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #17
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Offering 306hp from its light alloy and magnesium straight-six engine
This puzzles me quite a bit. The N54 engine is not aluminum and MAGNESIUM. It is all aluminum with iron sleeves.

I think something is afoot.

:iono:

06-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #18
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
So all the Brits got was one lousy little picture for they're online PR??? Its awesome that BMW decided not to detune this car. With so many haters, this car will need all the points it can get. I'm getting one nontheless.
Hold on 2k...it's down to a matter of hours not days. And yeah, I can't believe they're going to let the 135 whomp on the 335...but it will.
There will be the aura of boy-racer about this car- (small car...very very fast) but it will be extremely serious and not punk-poseur.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #19
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Oh, and there is no copy of the press release to be found ANYWHERE in the BMW Press Group website. UK, USA, Germany, France...no where.

Something isn't right about this "press release".
      06-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #20
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Oh, and there is no copy of the press release to be found ANYWHERE in the BMW Press Group website. UK, USA, Germany, France...no where.

Something isn't right about this "press release".
There was a link with the original post...so I guess it's been taken down.
Also, this press release is very abbreviated, yes, you make a good point.
I'm thinking we'll see a lot more official in the next 12-24 hours. If not
then it'll be hard for BMW to contain more info dribbling out.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #21
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The link to the UK website is still there but I'm talking about the official BMW Press Group website where they post up all official press releases for media personnel.
      06-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #22
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
The link to the UK website is still there but I'm talking about the official BMW Press Group website where they post up all official press releases for media personnel.
That''s the embargo still at work if I understand you right - anyway you have to have official creds for access to BMW media pool. If you do- you'll be among the first to see it.
Post here.:biggrin: :biggrin: Although I think Harold and Freak will get the packages asap to us.

Appreciate 0