BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Sonax Wheel Cleaner vs. Griot Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner Shootout.

Review due today.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
people here are pretty protective about Sonax around here.....I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Here is my review.

Preamble: I am not a sales rep, salesman or represent any company. I am a BMW enthusiast who loves clean wheels. I have spend a ton of money on various products. My review and recommendations are my own and I share them willingly. What you do with it is totally up to you!!

History: I have used a number of products over the years and BMW wheels have always been a bit frustrating, my 1 series being the worse by far. Out of all products that I have used, Sonax was the best so far. I hadn't washed the car in over 2 months and the wheels were plenty dirty. I was intrigued by the new Griot's H.D wheel cleaner given that it looked like Sonax. I am very pleased with the detailer supplier on this forum that provides the Sonax product.

On to the review!!

Application:

Both products go on easy, but the Griots bottle sprayer (not pictured) is super adjustable, from a fine mist to a solid spray, Sonax is just a fine mist that provide a hardy workout for the index finger. I found applying and coverage of the product easier with the Griots product.

Winner: Griots. (You could pour Sonax in a different spray bottle I guess)

Treatment:

As you can see the Griots covers more due to the sprayer. Griot is clear, Sonax is green.

Winner: Tie!

Wait Test:

As you can see the Sonax is more sticky and redder, Griots was more liquid and didn't stick on as much

Winner: Sonax. I believe that the more dense liquid of Sonax, leaves the product on longer.

First power wash spray down, no wiping:

Winner: Sonax. The results speak for themselves. Sonax clearly removed more grime. Both wheels are not clean however.

2nd application:

Winner: Tie. This one is a tossup. Clearly, the Sonax is done while Griots is working again. So I give credit to Sonax, but maybe I needed more Griots since it is clearly working again.

2nd Power Wand Rinse

Winner: Sonax. Once again Sonax looks way better.

After simple wipe down and rinse

Winner: Tie. A simple rub down with a sponge easily removed the grime that was left. On the Sonax side, there was less to remove but it was harder. On the Griots side, there was more to remove, but it seemed easier.

Other attributes:

Cost: Griots is $16.99 for 35 oz, Sonax is $15.99 for 16.9 oz.

Winner: Griots. My thought is that you use a bit more Griots, but not twice as much.

Smell: Griots has a pleasant smell while Sonax has an acridic smell.

Winner: Griots, but not that important.

Ease of removal: Both products were easy to remove with a slight edge to Griots.

Winner: Griots (although very close)

Conclusion: Both products are outstanding and do a fantastic job. I would recommend either. If your wheels aren't that dirty, I would go with Sonax, You can get an almost clean wheel without wiping. My guess is that you would have to wipe down the Griots, which isn't hard. If you wheels are very dirty like mine, Both products require wiping which seemed easier with the Griots.

Overall Winner: I am picking Griots as the winner based on price, ease of removal, and applicability, but both are worthy.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
NKatsim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BSM/Coral Red 135 Vert

Garage List
Nice review...thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I would say that you did not need to do the second application with Sonax, and the second application of Griots still did not remove as much as the first with Sonax.

So,
1. You need twice as much Griots to get almost as clean as Sonax
2. You have to buy a separate bottle to even use the 16.99 griots, unless you just buy the $3.99 sprayer and lug around a half gallon bottle sprayer.
3. You need to live down the street from Griots to put them in the lead (kidding, but couldn't resist)

I've tried both, think Sonax is much better, obviously YMMV. I even have a half used bottle of Griots that has been left to get dusty in the wake of Sonax.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Larry

1) Not sure, I should have tried to wipe the Griot's after the first spray.
2) Griots does come in a 35 oz bottle and the sprayer is 2.99 (They hand them out for free at the store.)
3) Griot's flagship store is an hour away and I find myself there once a month. It's a cool place.

Post review thoughts.

I followed Sonax's directions using Griots products. Griot's website shows a different process that I didn't use. I will try that next time.

I get anywhere from 10% to 20% off Griots products since they go on sale often.

Finally did you use the new Griots Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner or the Regular Griots wheel cleaner

Like you and I both said YMMV. Happy Motoring!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nice review! I'm not a huge fan of most of Griot's products, but I like some of them. However, to me the only true spray and rinse wheel cleaner is Megs Wheel Brightner and that stuff is very strong, too strong for regular washes. In your test, had you added it as well at 4:1 dilution, it would've blown away both of the others without any wiping.

I use P21s Gel with the SV brush and EZ detail brush and have no issues at all.

What makes the Griots attractive to me in this test is the pricing. If I can get it to work just as well as the P21s after agitation, which I do anyway, then I may go with it. P21s and Sonax are expensive.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great review. So it seems Sonax is best if you don't want to touch the wheels at all but of course any "detail" would necessarily include wiping them down to sparkling perfection.
      06-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Hmm, I'll have to give the Griot's a try. I generally like their products, but haven't tried the new HD wheel cleaner. The Sonax is the cat's meow, but it's expensive and seems to take forever to get without adding expedited shipping. I've been successful with adding Armor All's wheel protectant after a thorough wheel cleaning and that will keep the wheels essentially dust-free for a number of weeks, assuming there isn't rain or something. Though, even if it does rain, the wheels still remain cleaner than without the protectant and they're still easier to clean the next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
I've been successful with adding Armor All's wheel protectant after a thorough wheel cleaning and that will keep the wheels essentially dust-free for a number of weeks, assuming there isn't rain or something. Though, even if it does rain, the wheels still remain cleaner than without the protectant and they're still easier to clean the next time.
Me too, game changer for keeping the 1er wheels clean(er) IMHO.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Me too, game changer for keeping the 1er wheels clean(er) IMHO.
Just curious, but I've never used anything more than car wash soap, a wheel brush and the occasional shot of tar remover and clay to deal with embedded brake pad material. I use wheel cleaner on my other car after track days, but that's more a factor of higher operating temps and track pads. I do use AA wheel protectant on the 1er, and even with that nasty stuff, I haven't felt the need for a wheel cleaner. Do you guys just like playing with more toys, or do you go seasons between washes?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

great review.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
What do you guys recommend for an easy to use wheel sealant? I've used Armor All's wheel protectant with success, but it's quite expensive... and honestly I only use it when I swap from winter/summer wheels, which gives me the chance to clean up the wheels nicely.

I'd like to have something I can apply once a month, or every other month, that doesn't require me removing the wheel to apply.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
What do you guys recommend for an easy to use wheel sealant? I've used Armor All's wheel protectant with success, but it's quite expensive... and honestly I only use it when I swap from winter/summer wheels, which gives me the chance to clean up the wheels nicely.

I'd like to have something I can apply once a month, or every other month, that doesn't require me removing the wheel to apply.
most will need you to remove the wheels for good coverage unless you have a 5 spoke wheel.

Prima Wheel Armour will work well.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Just curious, but I've never used anything more than car wash soap, a wheel brush and the occasional shot of tar remover and clay to deal with embedded brake pad material. I use wheel cleaner on my other car after track days, but that's more a factor of higher operating temps and track pads. I do use AA wheel protectant on the 1er, and even with that nasty stuff, I haven't felt the need for a wheel cleaner. Do you guys just like playing with more toys, or do you go seasons between washes?
Honestly, on the 1er wheels I rarely used a wheel cleaner due to the design of the wheel- it was very easy to just wash down with a dedicated mitt. I sealed the wheels once every few months with a normal sealant like Rejex or the like, and that helped.

On my Z3, I have cross spoke wheels and bolts around the face that are very difficult to clean with the mitt. So I use P21s gel and a Swissvax brush to get in all the small spots, and it works well.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Thanks for the info. My question is how did your hands feel after using each? One reason I like the P21S wheel cleaner is it doesn't make my hands feel dried out. In fact when I use it my hands/nails aren't even dirty. I used Sonax for the first time last week. It did a good job but made my hands feel like crap. Just curious about the Griots from this perspective (female poster). Guess I could wear gloves but I never do!
      07-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I use Simoniz Rim Cleaner, it is on Sale at Canadian Tire for $4 from time to time and works great. Spray on, rinse off with a hoze nozzle, then I clean the wheels with a Simoniz microfiber mitt and Simoniz Carnuba car wash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Great review. Thanks, and it confirms my own testing with 3 different BMW's in this family--4 if you count in a sister who can really get her wheels dustintensive.

I note there is always a bit of humpf, humpfing re: Griots, but have been a user of many products over these 40 years, and in last 20 very seriously detailing with more passion and the pursuit of excellence. Was a Megs man for almost all of those years, and only in last 5 went over to G's prods. Almost all of them last longer, and cost no more really than other products for less money per unit but with less volume. [and no, not involved with GG in any way] The Sonax vs. GHDWheelCleaner is one case. BTW--I DO use some specialty products, like Rejex for the Shadowline...virtually no water spotting that lasts.

I have been using the REGULAR wheel cleaner for 3 years--no problem. Just got the new HDuty, and found that it does take off the dust with virtually first heavy spraying, sitting and water jetting---if the product is put on evenly, and completely. And no, it does not take double the Sonax, or any other product. But it was my application that made first spraying removal work. If the product is not even, or your spraying habit as mine was, a bit impatient, then as with most, you will need more removal efforts beyond the product --Sonax, Megs or GG. But the test at our little Bimmer shop have been great--we will continue with it.

Use what works for you...and as we say about helmets on the track, get the best one you can afford. For me now its the products that work best for me, last longest, and I can get at great pricing...bests to all.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
Tweeked SRT4
Resident SRT4 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Dodge SRT4

Nice review. I've been considering picking up some Sonax Full effect to try it out. Looks like it works wonders.
2013 Subaru STI Sedan in WR Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Question

This guy has it right....... I recommend the griots, but he goes for the Sonax.

Lovin the freedom of the Internet.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #21
118M
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i M Sport

Nice review... I"ll try the sonax...

thanx
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
NiceGuyAndy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT

Thanks for the review. I've been using Sonax, but I picked up some Griots last week at their store, and am looking forward to giving it a try.
Appreciate 0