BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover vs. Meguiar's Hard Water Spot Remover???

All,

I drove out of town for the weekend and parked my car in a spot which I thought was the best available, always trying to avoid door dings, tree zap, bird poop, etc. Well, sadly, I did not notice sprinklers around my car, and when I returned the next morning, my car was full of water spots.

I washed the car and was able to wash off all visible marks, however, when in sunlight and looking at the paint at the right angle, one can see where the spots used to be - I think this is referred to as etching.

Anyhow, I have been doing some research and apparently the two products I mention above are good and effective for this kind of problem. Does anyone have any experience with either one and recommend one over the other?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
All,

I drove out of town for the weekend and parked my car in a spot which I thought was the best available, always trying to avoid door dings, tree zap, bird poop, etc. Well, sadly, I did not notice sprinklers around my car, and when I returned the next morning, my car was full of water spots.

I washed the car and was able to wash off all visible marks, however, when in sunlight and looking at the paint at the right angle, one can see where the spots used to be - I think this is referred to as etching.

Anyhow, I have been doing some research and apparently the two products I mention above are good and effective for this kind of problem. Does anyone have any experience with either one and recommend one over the other?

Thanks!
Happened to the best of us bro

I removed mine with some Menzerna SIP on a green pad then resealed. This worked fine- I can't say that I have experience with the above.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Happened to the best of us bro

I removed mine with some Menzerna SIP on a green pad then resealed. This worked fine- I can't say that I have experience with the above.
+1 on SIP. The same thing has happened to me....i tried the CG method and another custom product. Neither worked, once it dries and etches too long the only way to get rid of it is polish.
      10-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

I haven't used the Megs product yet but the Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover has worked well for me thus far. It works best on light to medium etchings. The other option is you can polish the surface as others suggested. I generally start with a light polish and use more aggressive ones as needed. Starting with a light polish like Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 or the Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish) works great. It's certainly possible you'll need a more aggressive polish afterward like the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 or Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83. These polishes generally can remove 95% of the water marks I have encountered. If this doesn't work let us know and we can come up with a plan at that time. If you have any questions please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
take it for a good detailing and if it dosnt come out waxing
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
take it for a good detailing and if it dosnt come out waxing
waxing doesnt remove water etching.....
      10-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks fellas!

Greg, I just ordered CG WSR from you guys. Based on what I read, I have a good feeling that it will work for me. So far I have washed, clayed, and resealed the surface where the spots were, and unless you look at the car in direct sunlight, at a very specific and acute angle, you cannot see them. I see them because I know what section of the car they were on, but honestly, I am extremely picky compared to the average individual, and I'm struggling to see them at this point. Again, all I can see is very light/superficial marks around where the spots used to be (maybe some superficial etching?), but hopefully this product will take care of business. I didn't let the spots bake into the finish for long which is why I think they didn't cause relevant damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the purchase and I hope this helps resolve the situation. If not you'll have to step up to a medium cutting polish like I listed above. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
Thank you for the purchase and I hope this helps resolve the situation. If not you'll have to step up to a medium cutting polish like I listed above. Good luck!
You guys never disappoint...your website said I would be receiving the product on Monday, I received it today! Thank you for outstanding service and great products!

Greg, I have a question. The bottle says to rinse the car off first so I'm assuming the product is to be used while the car is wet, since I will be working on an area at a time and rinsing off. The water spots are gone from washing the car and using white distilled vinegar, but as I described before, if looking at the car out in the sun just at the right angle, there are very faint marks around the borders where each drop used to be - I'm assuming this is a minor case of etching. Again, very difficult to see, but because I am ultra picky I decided to give this product a go. Once you confirm the points I just mentioned, the question becomes: is it ok for me to apply it to the hood and fender since those were the affected areas? or do I truly need to work on 2"x2" areas at a time? I will do whatever it takes in order to get the proper result, however, given that half of the hood and that same side fender were the affected areas, I was thinking of applying CG WSR on these two body panels and then rinse off.

Please let me know your thoughts and thanks again!

Last edited by 1SerieStud; 10-23-2010 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
You guys never disappoint...your website said I would be receiving the product on Monday, I received it today! Thank you for outstanding service and great products!

Greg, I have a question. The bottle says to rinse the car off first so I'm assuming the product is to be used while the car is wet, since I will be working on an area at a time and rinsing off. The water spots are gone from washing the car and using white distilled vinegar, but as I described before, if looking at the car out in the sun just at the right angle, there are very faint marks around the borders where each drop used to be - I'm assuming this is a minor case of etching. Again, very difficult to see, but because I am ultra picky I decided to give this product a go. Once you confirm the points I just mentioned, the question becomes: is it ok for me to apply it to the hood and fender since those were the affected areas? or do I truly need to work on 2"x2" areas at a time? I will do whatever it takes in order to get the proper result, however, given that half of the hood and that same side fender were the affected areas, I was thinking of applying CG WSR on these two body panels and then rinse off.

Please let me know your thoughts and thanks again!
Again it's tough to know how well this will work because it sounds like you have some noticeable etchings. Remember the depth of the imperfection is almost impossible to measure with the naked eye. Therefore without a paint thickness gauge it's really hard to know how bad they are until you start polishing or treating them. If the marks area ultra faint the WSR should work. However the majority of times a polish is needed so you may have to progress to that.

As for your order I'm thrilled to hear it arrived early. We really work hard to ship orders out ASAP. I would recommend washing the vehicle first so you don't grind in contaminants while working in the WSR. Then work in small sections as they suggest and rinse it off before moving on. You don't want this product sitting on your hood too long. You really want to be working in the shade as well with this product. If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
powerbulge
That's What She Said...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i - DCT

After owning a black G35 and living in a city with hard water, I can't see myself ever owning another black car.

It is great to hear there are some products that might be able to remove hard water spots.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbulge View Post
After owning a black G35 and living in a city with hard water, I can't see myself ever owning another black car.

It is great to hear there are some products that might be able to remove hard water spots.
I know the pain...I was the owner of a black G35 coupe and then another black G37S coupe...what a struggle to keep clean!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
Again it's tough to know how well this will work because it sounds like you have some noticeable etchings. Remember the depth of the imperfection is almost impossible to measure with the naked eye. Therefore without a paint thickness gauge it's really hard to know how bad they are until you start polishing or treating them. If the marks area ultra faint the WSR should work. However the majority of times a polish is needed so you may have to progress to that.

As for your order I'm thrilled to hear it arrived early. We really work hard to ship orders out ASAP. I would recommend washing the vehicle first so you don't grind in contaminants while working in the WSR. Then work in small sections as they suggest and rinse it off before moving on. You don't want this product sitting on your hood too long. You really want to be working in the shade as well with this product. If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Greg, how does this product actually work? Is it in fact a mild polish, or does it somehow fill in the etching to hide it? I'm curious as to why this product would work in place of a true polish......or maybe that's what it really is?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Greg, how does this product actually work? Is it in fact a mild polish, or does it somehow fill in the etching to hide it? I'm curious as to why this product would work in place of a true polish......or maybe that's what it really is?
Greg will probably chime in as well, but based on what I've read, this product is not a polish, instead, it's an acidic solution that reacts with the bond of the minerals that fused on the clear coat, loosing them up again and allowing for their removal.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

It's a very strong chemical solution that is not a polish. It's designed to break down mineral deposits and help remove very fine etchings. It should be used with caution, as I always where rubber gloves during it's application.
Appreciate 0