BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

3SI manifold questions

Hi guys, I just ordered a used 3SI from an N51 with abt 60k miles on it for 189$ shipped

It doesn't come with the DISA valves which sucks but it looked really clean compared to all the others on Fleabay, so I'll order new ones from FCP.

I'm just wondering what else I'll need for the install.

I think I need new gaskets and bolts as I think I read somewhere that BMW always recommends using new bolts when changing / servicing a part.

Does anyone know or can guide me to what I'll need to do this. I did some quick searches and have bookmarked a few pages that did the swap but I didn't find anything definitive on new parts I'll need to do the swap.

I've owned my car since 2013 so I'm definitely a bit weary about reusing any plastic or rubber parts as I used to have the car in Greece and the heat there is unreal as well as the salt which I'm sure has corroded or made any plastic parts a bit brittle.

So if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Also just to confirm, is there any problem with using the 3SI without a tune? I plan on getting one at some point down the line but want to get an exhaust and headers, maybe MILVs before I get the tune, so I just want to be certain it's not going to be detrimental running the new manifold when the car isn't tuned for it.

Many thanks in advance for reading or helping,

Makis
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

1) It’s fine to run the 3SI without a tune but for $50 and a few hours, you can get the 130i tune from BimmerGeeks/Labs and really wake the car up.

2) while you’re in there, might as well just do the Oil Filter Housing Gasket. It’s cheap and will fail and you basically have to pull the intake to do it. Good preventive maintenance.

3) buy a new PCV hose in the off chance you break it. Worst case is you return it or just keep it till you have to do a Valve Cover job and run the same risk.

4) while the intake ports were exposed, I wet a microfiber with brake clean and scrubbed any carbon off.

5) This is one of my favorite resources: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ifold/1L767oJ4

If you can maneuver RealOEM, this should be easy to figure out.
Appreciate 2
asbrr540.50
      06-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Question- what is an AOS port? I see some for sale saying they have 1 or 2 of them.
      06-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Question- what is an AOS port? I see some for sale saying they have 1 or 2 of them.
"Air Oil Separator" port. Yea depending on the age of the manifold, they will have 1 or 2 of these. Means the hose/gear that connects is slightly different depending on what care you bought your manifold off of. I got lucky my car (2010 128i) had the same setup as the X5 (2011) I got my manifold off of. If you look at your manifold, just ask for detailed pictures from the sellers for the manifold they have and you can compare....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Further to the post from b1aze - I would just pick a tuner like StageFP for example that supports tunes for all the stages of mods you have planned. That way you pay for the tune once and small increments (if any) for upgrades as you add them.

The Bimmerlabs tune is great for the 3SI as it's a factory tune, but you'll have to upgrade the tune when you add MILVS etc.

I drove my car for 3 weeks or so while awaiting my tune, it was OK, felt weird in a few spots in the RPM curve but I took it easy - I could tell it wasn't quite "happy". No lights or such issues, just didn't feel great. Once the tune was applied and after some adaptations, it felt much better.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
"Air Oil Separator" port. Yea depending on the age of the manifold, they will have 1 or 2 of these. Means the hose/gear that connects is slightly different depending on what care you bought your manifold off of. I got lucky my car (2010 128i) had the same setup as the X5 (2011) I got my manifold off of. If you look at your manifold, just ask for detailed pictures from the sellers for the manifold they have and you can compare....
Thanks - this is on my later list. Not sure where to look for the ports on my manifold.

Is it required to have the same number of ports or can something be plugged?
      06-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #7
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Thanks - this is on my later list. Not sure where to look for the ports on my manifold.

Is it required to have the same number of ports or can something be plugged?
Sorry I think I got it backwards, the newer cars have dual ports. This thread indicates it's sometime around 2007 and later:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463663

This specific post highlights part numbers: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...32&postcount=5

If all you can find is an older manifold, you can still buy the hose to adapt to it, you'll just need to plug the open spot. Read a few people that did that.

Ideally just try to get a newer manifold, and it will be plug and play. Just go buy one and get a tune, you won't regret it! I waited way too long to do this mod...
Appreciate 2
gjm1202181.50
      06-24-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for your input and help.

I'm looking at fcp euro site for the disa valves and I found some made by rein (see below link)

Are these any good? They're half the price of bmw oe ones but if they're not worth it or will give me problems I'll go with bmw. Does anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...in-11617544805

Pleased to hear and thanks for your help

Makis
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post

I'm looking at fcp euro site for the disa valves and I found some made by rein (see below link)

Are these any good? They're half the price of bmw oe ones but if they're not worth it or will give me problems I'll go with bmw. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Makis
Those aren’t for the N52 motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Makis
Make sure you get the right part for the N52, but I have read of some problems with the non-BMW parts. There were a couple of posts where the non-BMW parts failed in a few months.

I don't think it's common so you could take a shot at it..I have 150K old OEM DISAs that came with my manifold and they are fine...(crossing fingers). So its just how comfortable you are with the risk and having to replace one later.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #11
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Quote:

Makis
Those aren’t for the N52 motor.
Ahhhh I see, thanks a lot for your input and help B1aze, do you by any chance have any experience with aftermarket disa valves? And if so can you recommend a brand?

I started looking into pcv or Ccv replacement and it seems like a no brainer to do when installing this. I also read some posts of people switching to oil catch can instead of having the whole Pcv /ccv system.

I'm not too sure what the difference is between pcv and ccv so I'll try looking into that more.

I even saw an interesting thread where someone made their own lines and they added the oe check valve as well as they got a little pissed off with the OE ones cracking and breaking after a few years. I'll probably just buy new ones as i don't have the time to make them, but pretty interesting that you can do that and probably get better quality parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #12
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahhhh I see, thanks a lot for your input and help B1aze, do you by any chance have any experience with aftermarket disa valves? And if so can you recommend a brand?

I started looking into pcv or Ccv replacement and it seems like a no brainer to do when installing this. I also read some posts of people switching to oil catch can instead of having the whole Pcv /ccv system.

I'm not too sure what the difference is between pcv and ccv so I'll try looking into that more.

I even saw an interesting thread where someone made their own lines and they added the oe check valve as well as they got a little pissed off with the OE ones cracking and breaking after a few years. I'll probably just buy new ones as i don't have the time to make them, but pretty interesting that you can do that and probably get better quality parts.
I have bought both used and aftermarket valves with poor results. I bit the bullet and bought valves from FCPEuro. The way I look at it, I can replace them in 30k miles for FREE, regardless if they’re working optimally or not.

I also did my own tubing using the OE connections. Couple worm gear clamps and some hydraulic line (needs to be oil resistant). Has worked flawlessly and seems far more flexible if/when I need to disconnect those lines. But I was going from a 2 port to a 1 port manifold so you might just be direct plug and play in that regard.

An oil catch can on the N51/52 motor is useless if you pay any attention to your car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #13
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have bought both used and aftermarket valves with poor results. I bit the bullet and bought valves from FCPEuro. The way I look at it, I can replace them in 30k miles for FREE, regardless if they’re working optimally or not.

I also did my own tubing using the OE connections. Couple worm gear clamps and some hydraulic line (needs to be oil resistant). Has worked flawlessly and seems far more flexible if/when I need to disconnect those lines. But I was going from a 2 port to a 1 port manifold so you might just be direct plug and play in that regard.

An oil catch can on the N51/52 motor is useless if you pay any attention to your car IMO.
Hi again B1aze

I can across this disa (apparently the mainfold I bought cake with the small one which seems to be in good condition so I may just buy the repair kit online just for good order sake)

I'm just wondering if this disa valve I found online was already repaired with the kit because from what I've seen and read I think most the OE disas have a plastic rod but I'm not 100% sure and don't want to spend the money on the repair kit if I don't need to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help

M
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #14
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi again B1aze

I can across this disa (apparently the mainfold I bought cake with the small one which seems to be in good condition so I may just buy the repair kit online just for good order sake)

I'm just wondering if this disa valve I found online was already repaired with the kit because from what I've seen and read I think most the OE disas have a plastic rod but I'm not 100% sure and don't want to spend the money on the repair kit if I don't need to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help

M
Newest revision of the large DISA came with a metal shaft.

And just because the small valve is intact doesn’t mean it’s operating properly. If it opens/closes slowly or doesn’t fully open/close you’ll need a new valve. I haven’t heard of anyone successfully resurrecting a dead/faulty valve
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #15
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi again B1aze

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help

M
Newest revision of the large DISA came with a metal shaft.

And just because the small valve is intact doesn’t mean it’s operating properly. If it opens/closes slowly or doesn’t fully open/close you’ll need a new valve. I haven’t heard of anyone successfully resurrecting a dead/faulty valve

Sh*t this one is basically locked up and won't budge when trying to close it. Does it need power to open and close like it's locked until power is supplied or do you think it's basically toast?

Pleased to hear,

Makis
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #16
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Sh*t this one is basically locked up and won't budge when trying to close it. Does it need power to open and close like it's locked until power is supplied or do you think it's basically toast?

Pleased to hear,

Makis
Haven't done the 3 stage IM but looking into it. One thing I've gathered is that if you have doubt about both valves, at least replace the smaller - lower one before doing the install. I think only the larger one can be replaced without removing the manifold.
      06-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #17
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Pleased to hear,

Makis
You need to connect them to the car for them to move and you need to either rev the engine past 4k or use INPA to actuate the valve. You can’t just rotate the flaps by hand.
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      06-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #18
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You need to connect them to the car for them to move and you need to either rev the engine past 4k or use INPA to actuate the valve. You can’t just rotate the flaps by hand.
Yes - this. I didn't have INPA, this is how I tested mine. One will open around 3K, the other around 4K. They start as closed from idle. I cleaned them up, ensured the gasket / rubber / silicone material (the green stuff) was in good shape, and there was no play in the shaft.

Seem to be fine so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #19
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Does anyone have a part number or know which screws I need to mount the DISAs to the IM?

The disas I bought don't have the mounting screws :

Pleased to hear!

M
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #20
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Does anyone have a part number or know which screws I need to mount the DISAs to the IM?

Pleased to hear!

M
11617535849 for the large disa, all it's screws are the same small ones. They're actually the same screw as for every bracket on the manifold so you can guide yourself by that.

The small disa is gonna have 11617535851 which is the longest screw which goes through the widest part of the manifold and only has thread at the end of it. Then it has two smaller though still longer than the large disa's, 11617535850 I believe. I'll take some pictures of a bunch of screws I have at home laying around with the disas if you need.
Appreciate 1
19Neil61.50
      10-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #21
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
Quote:

Pleased to hear!

M
11617535849 for the large disa, all it's screws are the same small ones. They're actually the same screw as for every bracket on the manifold so you can guide yourself by that.

The small disa is gonna have 11617535851 which is the longest screw which goes through the widest part of the manifold and only has thread at the end of it. Then it has two smaller though still longer than the large disa's, 11617535850 I believe. I'll take some pictures of a bunch of screws I have at home laying around with the disas if you need.
Hello,

Thanks for the reply and part numbers, I'm sure it will help someone else, I bought the screws off another forum member last week thankfully.

But thanks for the reply mate,

Be safe

M
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2020, 07:33 AM   #22
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

Hey everyone,

I'm new to 1 series and was hoping someone could point out the visual difference between a regular manifold on US cars and the 3 stage manifold.

Just want to make sure I get the right one 🤠

Tia
Appreciate 0