BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2019, 03:06 AM   #1
accomotors
Free Spirit Tattoo Racing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

E87 BMW Performance Brake Option

Hi folks,
Our race team runs an E87 130i in the Australian Production Car Series. We are also competing at the Bathurst 6 Hour over Easter.
We are in a bit of a pickle. Our car is fitted with the available BMW Performance 338mm/6-piston brake package, but CAMS has informed us that this upgrade has never been homologated for racing. They will allow us to run the larger discs (338mm), but not the 6-piston caliper.
I am hoping that somebody would be able to help us with confirmation that these calipers were indeed available on the car. CAMS will not take our word that the only caliper that fits that brake disc is the 6-piston, and they need BMW proof.
I have found that this brochure (http://www.bundoorabmw.com.au/com/en...ories-2011.pdf) is available on about every BMW dealership website, but cannot get confirmation that it includes options available on the car (because it doesn't say anywhere on it 'Australia').
If someone knows of an E87 originally fitted with these brakes, a VIN from that car would be FANTASTIC!!!
Otherwise, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
James
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

What is the actual rules regarding brakes? Has to have been an available option to the car when it was for sale in the showrooms? Surely the brochure is sufficient as the link is from BMW bundoora itself and is an Australian website?

This is realoem, its bascially a webrip of the official BMW parts catalog called BMW ETK.

It shows the BMW performance brakes as available for the 130i
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_0113

Do they disallow aftermarket big brake systems like AP racing/Alcon/Brembo?

Does your class permit fitting brakes from another car, like the 335i? They run a 348mm disc with single piston caliper. Also, a DBA 2 piece disc is available for this size as well. These brakes are available cheaply and the calipers are more durable than the 6 pistons. The 6 piston brakes tend to melt their dust boots and crumble the phenolic face of the piston during race use.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=34_2287
      04-02-2019, 02:02 AM   #3
accomotors
Australia
Rep

vtl, thanks for your reply.

The brakes have to have been an option from the factory, available when the car was new off the showroom floor. With regards to brake rules, they state (in a condensed form) that:
The disc must not be larger than the factory dimensions, but can be any brand and can be two-piece.
Calipers of any brand are permitted. A caliper of up to 4 pistons can be fitted to any vehicle (even if only fitted with single-piston calipers from the factory), but only those fitted as standard from the factory as such can have more than 4 pistons.

With this in mind, brake systems off of another vehicle are permitted, providing they meet the above requirements. The calipers must also bolt on without modification (but are permitted to be fitted to an adaptation mount bracket).

The main reason I need the confirmation in our case is that the car had the parts fitted when we bought it, and we knew that they complied with the rules so we were happy. Unfortunately CAMS brought to our attention the fact that they had not been homologated, so now we are stuck. I don't want to have to buy a new set of calipers to suit the discs, given I already own a large sums worth of brake components, and I thought getting factory confirmation would be an altogether simple experience. It is not.

I provided CAMS with all those pages from realOEM, but my hours and hours of scouring the pages and producing JPG mashups etc was all a waste of time.

I provided them with those brochures, but because the actual brochure doesn't have the word 'Australia' on it, it doesn't count. I have approached almost every dealer I can find that has it for download, to get them to confirm that it contains information pertinent to the factory availability, and have had about 2 replies out of tens of emails I sent.
One dealer I spoke to told me that they never produced brochures for the Australian market, because it is so small, and only produced an 'English Language Version'. He would not confirm this in writing for me though, despite many verbal confirmations that he would.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Dunno if this will help you, but the BMWP BBK Install guide specifically has the E87 listed as an applicable car, see post here:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...4&postcount=18
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #5
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Would a receipt for someone who purchased this kit new on the E82/E87 with the car help?
      04-04-2019, 12:04 AM   #6
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
Would a receipt for someone who purchased this kit new on the E82/E87 with the car help?
Hi RadiuM. Mate, if you had a sales receipt from an E87 (not E82) with the brake package on it, that would be worth it's weight in gold!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #7
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Dunno if this will help you, but the BMWP BBK Install guide specifically has the E87 listed as an applicable car, see post here:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...4&postcount=18
Thanks for the link. I will provide it to CAMS as supporting evidence, but unfortunately it would not be acceptable on it's own.
Thanks crowtrobot 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:10 AM   #8
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomotors View Post
Hi RadiuM. Mate, if you had a sales receipt from an E87 (not E82) with the brake package on it, that would be worth it's weight in gold!
Sorry, I don't. Was just putting it out there in case some one has and hadn't thought of it.
      04-05-2019, 01:33 AM   #9
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
Sorry, I don't. Was just putting it out there in case some one has and hadn't thought of it.
Cool, thanks for the thought. Yes, a factory sales document would be great, but I imagine the amount of people that actually ordered the option on a 130i was pretty limited.
I am on to BMW at the moment, it looks like if I can get them to confirm that the only caliper available on the BMW Performance brake kit with the 338mm front discs was the 6-piston item, then it will be OK.
Fingers crossed, only a couple weeks left!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 02:21 AM   #10
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep

good luck. I hope to see you in the race!
      04-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

If you can freely use 4 piston calipers, why not install the F30 4 piston brakes, which is an upgrade over the 6 piston version.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #12
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

The BMW performance brake package to my knowledge was a dealer fitted option and not a factory option, Does that matter? The cars would have rolled off the production line with the single piston calipers and then fitted with the performance brakes at the dealership in Australia.
      04-12-2019, 05:02 AM   #13
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Hey guys, great news. After writing to about every BMW dealership I could find in Australia, I got on to a nice girl named Casey from Hobart BMW. She was able to have BMW contact me directly, and a super-helpful guy there was able to compile all the evidence we needed.
He was able to confirm that the 6-piston option was available on Australian-delivered vehicles, and was subject to all BMW warranties etc.
So it's off to Mount Panorama fully compliant!!
Thank you to everyone who offered assistance, it is very much appreciated.
Appreciate 3
RadiuM37.50
John_01232.00
Nugget649.50
      04-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #14
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Good luck for your event next weekend. I hope you have a positive experience and a successful campaign. I will keep an eye on the Foxtel broadcast.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #15
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Race rules can be stupidly strict. Allowing custom brackets to suit random calipers..

Tell us more about this car like what it has under the hood, any other tweaks?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #16
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Vehicles are supposed to be compliant to CAMS Group 3E. The engines can be tuned, but turbo pressure is supposed to be regulated to pre-defined level that is close to stock. Brake rotors are supposed to be the same diameter as stock, but wider rotor width allowed.

Event info is here:
http://bathurst6hour.com.au/

Sunday's race will be broadcast on Fox Sports 506 starting at a 11:15am.

There is live streaming info here:
http://www.bathurst6hour.com.au/live-aus
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #17
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Good luck for your event next weekend. I hope you have a positive experience and a successful campaign. I will keep an eye on the Foxtel broadcast.
Thanks mate, appreciate the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Race rules can be stupidly strict. Allowing custom brackets to suit random calipers..

Tell us more about this car like what it has under the hood, any other tweaks?
I know, it's a bit silly sometimes, but everyone is in the same boat.

The motor is stock N52, with gutted-out cats on stock manifolds and A/C removed. Suspension is MCA adjustable all around. It has a Drexler LSD and a brass button clutch. We run the BMW Performance 6-piston brake package, with 18x8" wheels. Otherwise it's just got everything removed that the rules will allow, and a weld-in cage. Came in right on 1355kg with driver but without fuel or helmet etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
John_01232.00
Nugget649.50