BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
jonack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Shifting Prowess...

I have been driving manual transmissions for most of my life. In fact, I learned how to drive on a MG B ...many, many years ago. (Maybe that explains my love for roadsters...) However, I have developed some bad shifting habits...Sometimes my transitions can tend to be erratic and not smooth, especially if I am am pushing it... My inadequacy became apparent when my CA took me for a spin in the 135i... He really challenged the car on the highway, and on winding roads. Upshifting, downshifting...all transitions were smooth..no annoying, jerky motions. The 1er will be my first real performance car... therefore, I want to maximize my experience, and fun, so I must become shifting worthy. (Maybe I have just become jaded over the years, which has resulted in some bad habits...)

Do local BMW clubs offer driving sessions (school) to help people maximize the experience?

Also, has double-clutching become obsolete?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Im not sure about BMW driving sessions but I can answer the latter question. Yes, double clutching has become obsolete. With a proper rev match and synchros to help you out there is no need to double clutch on a modern car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
None of the folks at my dealership know how to drive a stick.:iono: I learned to drive in a MB 190S with a column-mounted shifter. I'd bet some of the old-timers 'round these parts' remember column-mounted shifters.:wink::biggrin:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Just practice and it will come back to you. I've been shifting for a long time and the 135i is one of the easiest cars to shift I've ever driven. Heck, it doesn't even roll back when you remove your foot from the brake!!

You'll be OK. There's always driving school if you have trouble.
      03-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
sadu77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i learned on in a 1986 isuzu trooper. 4cyl. talk about a dog. everything is smooth after learning in that pig. 0-60 in 3 minutes.
Gray Poplar Trim
Nav system
Comfort access
Power/Heated seats
Sattelite radio
Ipod
Production number 398****
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
Pike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i, '91 E30 325i

If you're going to learn to really be smooth with the stick, you should read up on heel and toe downshifting, and put that into practice everywhere you go.

I practiced heel and toe technique everywhere for weeks before my first track day, and it made a huge difference. The ability to shift smoothly is great, but it's immensely rewarding to also add the ability to smoothly transition from braking to accelerating. Nothing better than rowing down through the gears under braking, ensuring the perfect rev-matched downshifts so you're ready to smoothly accelerate. Helps keep the car balanced in the corners too, since you're not upsetting the chassis with abrupt brake/gas transitions.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I need some shifting advice as well for smooth driving. I am experiencing a problem from 2nd to third.

Clutch in, select lever from 2 to 3, clutch out and I usually get a jump with the foot off the gas. This problem is mitigate with a slight squeeze on the gas in conjunction. I do not understand the physics of it and don't want to get into a bad habit.
      03-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
JSierra
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Ah yes, the heel to toe technique, I tried that once and almost ended up in a wreck.......
      03-22-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
runNgun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Jonack,

I think BMW CCA held driving improvement workshops for autox. Perhaps one of the 1addicts who are members can chime in. I would be interested too in improving my very rusty and poor shifting skills.

The Car and Driver site has a video on heel toe downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 02:01 AM   #10
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Practice heel toe first in a parking lot by holding the ball of your foot on the brake and roll the edge of your foot to blip the throttle, or roll your toe in and blip with your heel. This car is really easy to heel-toe. Try it in a Porsche or an Audi.

For what it's worth we have five run groups, lower two are instructed (Green and Blue). One of the requirements for promotion to the next group, White, is heel-toe proficiency.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 02:46 AM   #11
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

In europe almost every car is a stick. To them it is normal. Big luxury cars have a stick. They seem to enjoy driving.....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 02:55 AM   #12
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

on the upshift, get on the gas a little sooner b4 the clutch is fully engaged and let go of the clutch smoother.

on the downshift, blip the throttle after you disengage the clutch as you're putting it into gear and let go of the clutch smoothly but quickly therafter (b4 the revs drop too much). This is called rev matching. takes some getting used to for your foot to learn how long to hold the throttle depending on from which gear to which gear youre goin. After getting in the right gear you can accelerate. Heel toe is the same thing except you're also breaking at the same time. In street driving you don't really need heel toe. you can just revmatch down and then brake or vice versa. I use heel toe on the street sometimes tho when i want to power out of the turn. but usually its just for fun. for smoothness, just perfect revmatching.

let us know how this work for ya
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
me1.0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

For most drivers getting used to car is the most important thing. Figuring out what rpm matches what gear at what speed is the biggest thing. Three words, practice, practice practice. Once you get used to the car, it usually begins to feel very natural.

And I learned to drive a stick on a 1948 Ford 8N. For those of you that don't know, that is a tractor. My next stick (and first car)was a 1981 Celica GT.

Speaking of column shifters, my dad used to have a 1969 Ford F100 Explorer with a 3 on the tree. Slow, lots of body roll, needed an airstrip worth of road to stop. It was a complete blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

I know it sounds like "Be the ball" from "Caddyshack," but the best advice is to really pay attention and get in tune with what your engine and transmission are doing at any given moment, and just help them harmonize.

It's easier to do than to explain how to do it.

Don't follow mapped-out steps like you're in a ballroom-dance class; just get a feel for engine rpms and gear ranges at various speeds. It's like learning scales in music; once you get the feel for it, it seems natural, even beautiful, to make things mesh.

"There's only one reason for an automatic transmission," an old mechanic once told me, "and that's if you want to drag-race people without putting down your beer." Otherwise, the symphony of the synchros is just too nice to pass up.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post
I know it sounds like "Be the ball" from "Caddyshack," but the best advice is to really pay attention and get in tune with what your engine and transmission are doing at any given moment, and just help them harmonize.

It's easier to do than to explain how to do it.

Don't follow mapped-out steps like you're in a ballroom-dance class; just get a feel for engine rpms and gear ranges at various speeds. It's like learning scales in music; once you get the feel for it, it seems natural, even beautiful, to make things mesh.

"There's only one reason for an automatic transmission," an old mechanic once told me, "and that's if you want to drag-race people without putting gown your beer." Otherwise, the symphony of the synchros is just too nice to pass up.
When you get really really good at it, you shouldn't even need to use your clutch. In theory, you can change gears simply by matching egine revs. However, don't try this under acceleration or deceleration unless you know what you are doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I heel and toe every time I drive a manual trans just to stay sharp for the track. I am finding it challenging in the 135 because in routine street driving the pedal effort to slow the car is so extremely light. I can't wait to really stand on the brakes on the track I have a feeling they will be impressive.
      03-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
turbomg
Acquiring the taste.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonack View Post
In fact, I learned how to drive on a MG B ...many, many years ago. (Maybe that explains my love for roadsters...)
Heh, I learned on a '79 Fiat Spider roughly ten years ago, that my mother bought almost 30 years ago. I still have the Fiat, where is your MGB?

(forget Britain, viva Italia!)
Appreciate 0