BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

10-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #177
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
fyi i had no problem pulling away from and staying way ahead of my friend's modified (suspension and no rear seats) rx-8 on a very technical twisty course. we filled up before, but after only a little bit of time he used up all his gas, and i used up only 1/4 tank.
Well, his engine generates 6 power pulses for every 1 crank revolution. That tends to burn some gas. Rotaries are not economical to operate, but look at the hp per liter. That 80 c.i. engine is putting out some serious horses. Ultimately, the RX-8 wasn't designed to be the sports car the RX-7 is. The 3rd generation 255 hp RX-7 is more modible than your 135i and is quite a track star even in stock form. Of course rotaries aren't big on torque so you have to keep it in the revs. If the driver is too lazy to do that then of course the driver won't make the most out of what he's driving. Remember, a 4 rotor Mazda was the first Japanese car to ever win the Le Mans 24 hours. I've had two RX-7s and both were more fun than my 135i. I'm not a huge fan of the RX-8, but if Racing Beat still exists, I'm sure they have the parts to make it a great performer.
      10-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #178
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz View Post
You're obviously not driving it hard enough:eyebulge:
Not sure how many times you've been 155mph in your 135i, but I hit that limiter often enough in mine (legally). And often set the cruise at 130+ mph for entire stretches in unlimited speed zones of the Autobahns.

I found the 135i less fun the harder you drove it. It really doesn't like high speeds as it dances around, never giving you a planted feeling (perhaps the rear deck spoiler would help--bought it, never mounted it, sold it). It doesn't like hard cornering as the body roll is so great you think the car is going to consume the outside front wheel. Shifting at redline makes you think you're breaking the gearbox. If you hit a bump while hard on the gas in low gears it felt/sounded like you broke a drive shaft. In all, it doesn't like hard play. Opposite of my TT where it loved being driven hard, and always felt rock solid no matter the speed, corner or road surface (wet or dry).

If in the States right now looking for a DD, I'd find a primo '04 to '06 TT 3.2 DSG and mount KW coilovers, tighten up the streering, add the Haldex performance controller to bias the Quattro system to the rear, and mount Porsche Cayenne front brakes. May only have 250 PS but oh what fun and with great sound to match! Good torque too. Plenty enough for US roads any way.
      10-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #179
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

Balls - You seem to have pretty lofty expectations from a stock car. There's nothing wrong with that but I'd guess that after driving such a hugely modded car a lot of stock cars would be boring. I can completely accept that.

Maybe you were expecting a bit too much from a stock car?

A friend has a stripped out carrera race car (not road legal). It was thrilling but I'd never expect an experience like that out of the box.

Given the level of enthusiast you obviously are I'm a little surprised you didn't give the 1 a bit more time/mods - so it must have felt boring beyond the point of salvage for you? That's what I'm having difficulty with.

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #180
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

I went out yesterday after work and test drove an Elise. What a car but I was also happy when I went back in the 135 in fact I never felt that great before why I dont know. The 135I is an amazing daily driver however yesterday again I felt the limit of the car suspension again and needs serious modding because it plows and its no fun plowing and battling against drifting and hopping at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #181
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorob View Post
I gotta say the feel was there when I reeled in the NSX in this track day video from 3:53 to passing it at 4:45 ............... sorry I just couldn't resist

BTW - that wasn't you was it from this video at PPIR this last weekend?
FUN VIDEO :w00t: thanks for the share.
      10-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #182
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMX5 View Post
Balls - You seem to have pretty lofty expectations from a stock car. There's nothing wrong with that but I'd guess that after driving such a hugely modded car a lot of stock cars would be boring. I can completely accept that.

Maybe you were expecting a bit too much from a stock car?

A friend has a stripped out carrera race car (not road legal). It was thrilling but I'd never expect an experience like that out of the box.

Given the level of enthusiast you obviously are I'm a little surprised you didn't give the 1 a bit more time/mods - so it must have felt boring beyond the point of salvage for you? That's what I'm having difficulty with.
The TT is a different story. The initial MY had some high speed rear end lift issues so Audi overly dumbed down the suspension to compensate (reduced rebound, slowed the steering, added dead weight in the rear, weakened the ARBs, added the rear wing, and DSP). All I did to mine was fix what Audi did to ruin the normal suspension performance. Made a tremendous difference. I considered my TT what Audi would have delivered in stock form.
It wasn't a question of modding a normally engineered car. The TT was butchered by the engineers as required by Audi's top brass fearing the bad press would hurt sales. I just wanted it to be as Audi intended, and it was. Still, like all Audi Quattros equipped with the Haldex system, you can replace the controller to bias the drive to the rear via throttle input, not mainly front wheel slippage as normally required. They even make a race controller that makes the system full time AWD, but isn't recommended for the street as it's easy to lock the rear wheels in slippery conditions.

Part of my reason for abandonig the 135i is also because I just don't like the looks inside and out, the feel of the materials, etc. There was nothing I could do to the 135i to get me to like it ever as much as I decided a Z4 M Coupe would so the trade was made (although I had to wait for my Z4 M Coupe to enter production). In retrospect, I wish I had started with the Z4 M Coupe as my TT replacement and then looked for a newish 4 door E46 or E90 as the DD. If I didn't need 4 doors (but a real back seat) then a 330ci or 3rd generation M3 would have satisfied me. Those are great looking cars inside and out, can be had for reasonable prices, and are fun to drive especially with a few mods.

Of course, as soon as I cranked up the Z4 M Coupe I knew it was right. Finally the sound of performance again (missing in my drive since my deep throaty V6 TT departed). Steering is tight and precise. Motor is crisp and begs to be tapped into. Seats hold you firmly and comfortably. You feel like you're sitting in the car, not on top like the 135i. Same for the TT, great seats and feeling of strapping the car on. Great controls. Even smells better inside. List goes on and on...
      10-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #183
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
The TT is a different story. The initial MY had some high speed rear end lift issues so Audi overly dumbed down the suspension to compensate (reduced rebound, slowed the steering, added dead weight in the rear, weakened the ARBs, added the rear wing, and DSP). All I did to mine was fix what Audi did to ruin the normal suspension performance. Made a tremendous difference. I considered my TT what Audi would have delivered in stock form.
It wasn't a question of modding a normally engineered car. The TT was butchered by the engineers as required by Audi's top brass fearing the bad press would hurt sales. I just wanted it to be as Audi intended, and it was. Still, like all Audi Quattros equipped with the Haldex system, you can replace the controller to bias the drive to the rear via throttle input, not mainly front wheel slippage as normally required. They even make a race controller that makes the system full time AWD, but isn't recommended for the street as it's easy to lock the rear wheels in slippery conditions.

Part of my reason for abandonig the 135i is also because I just don't like the looks inside and out, the feel of the materials, etc. There was nothing I could do to the 135i to get me to like it ever as much as I decided a Z4 M Coupe would so the trade was made (although I had to wait for my Z4 M Coupe to enter production). In retrospect, I wish I had started with the Z4 M Coupe as my TT replacement and then looked for a newish 4 door E46 or E90 as the DD. If I didn't need 4 doors (but a real back seat) then a 330ci or 3rd generation M3 would have satisfied me. Those are great looking cars inside and out, can be had for reasonable prices, and are fun to drive especially with a few mods.

Of course, as soon as I cranked up the Z4 M Coupe I knew it was right. Finally the sound of performance again (missing in my drive since my deep throaty V6 TT departed). Steering is tight and precise. Motor is crisp and begs to be tapped into. Seats hold you firmly and comfortably. You feel like you're sitting in the car, not on top like the 135i. Same for the TT, great seats and feeling of strapping the car on. Great controls. Even smells better inside. List goes on and on...
So if you think the vehicle is boring, and don't own one any longer, why are you here telling us? Not trying to flame, just wondering.
      10-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #184
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
So if you think the vehicle is boring, and don't own one any longer, why are you here telling us? Not trying to flame, just wondering.
Hey buddy, the phased out TT 3.2 automatic is more exciting - at a stop when you can hear the exhuast.

:headbang:

This whole thread is laughable - automatic TT's, Mazda's? I take it most here don't actually own a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #185
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzone View Post
You recommend buring cash modifying a used, automatic, AWD car that's slower than my 135i by more than a second (just to 60 alone)?

:w00t:

I think you'd just defined the word "boring" and potentially "stupid".

For less $ I'll take a new BMW 135ic with a stick and RWD.

Enjoy the "modded" TT. Hey, at least it's uh, loud?
Well, I have 2 other speed machines. One is a 2 wheeled rocket that can get to 100 before your 135i can reach 60. So I don't need all my machines to break my neck. As for that, all these cars are pretty slow to me, so the difference in speed between a 300 hp 135i and a 250 hp TT is insignificant. Both are fast enough to set them apart from the masses, but not fast enough to make you think they're supercars. The TT is more fun to drive...cooler to look at and cooler to own. It's a niche car, not a car for the masses. And I now have the Z4 M Coupe which is a real balanced performing purist sports car, not an imbalanced GT like what you drive.
      10-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #186
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Just going along with the thread. I just find it interesting that so many are so enthusiastic about the 135i. Must be for the motor (still not my cup of tea) 'cause the rest really falls short of the hype. I once owned a 1976 2002. I was hoping the experience would remind me of that great car. It didn't. I'm a life long fan of BMW (which is why I lurk around here a bit, but usually in spurts), but the 135i to me falls short of what I was hoping it would be. Just like the new TT did. Nice car and very capable, but the first design was inspirational and cutting edge, and the new car just a modified copy. The R8 should be the new TT. It shares more in common with the original TT as both broke new ground in design. Of course, I would have purchased a new TT over the 135i if it solved my perceived need for a bigger back seat (at that time).

It's one thing to be enthusiastic about something, but when people think something is more than it is, I like to provide an opposing view. Just helps to maintain a balance...
      10-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #187
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Hey buddy, the phased out TT 3.2 automatic is more exciting - at a stop when you can hear the exhuast.

:headbang:

This whole thread is laughable - automatic TT's, Mazda's? I take it most here don't actually own a BMW.
You'd be looking at the tail end of mine on a curry road, or Nurburgring for that matter. At least until I sprinted away from view. Don't underestimate complete packages.
      10-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #188
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quote:
You'd be looking at the tail end of mine on a curry road, or Nurburgring for that matter. At least until I sprinted away from view. Don't underestimate complete packages.
But we'd look better as the Z4's a hairdressers car.:smile:
      10-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #189
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
...I like to provide an opposing view. Just helps to maintain a balance...
Ahhhh ... that is also known as a $hit-stirrer...
      10-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #190
bmwzone
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
You'd be looking at the tail end of mine on a curry road, or Nurburgring for that matter.
Curry road? Nurburgring? I guess if I lived in a country smaller than Montana I'd be more concerned about "finding a track" and "windy roads". Here in Texas we have no shortage of open roads where you can let this 300hp Twin Turbo sing.

I've driven TTs and know first-hand how "underwhelming" they are.

Glad you have the motorcycle, since my $35k 135i is faster than a $50k Z4 "M" car.

I've found the 135i so much fun since owning it the bike sits most of the time.

Think about it, the 135i is being constantly compared to vehicles 10-20-30K higher in price. What a performance value!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #191
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quotes from Clarkson on the Z4M

"appears to have been styled by someone who wasn't concentrating."
- "just plain, like a supermarket checkout girl."
- "If you want this sort of car, the Gayman is an obvious rival," he writes.
- "It goes harder but is deeply embarrassing to be seen in. So what I'd do is buy the soft-top Z4 M instead. "
      10-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #192
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
Quotes from Clarkson on the Z4M

"appears to have been styled by someone who wasn't concentrating."
- "just plain, like a supermarket checkout girl."
- "If you want this sort of car, the Gayman is an obvious rival," he writes.
- "It goes harder but is deeply embarrassing to be seen in. So what I'd do is buy the soft-top Z4 M instead. "
dumb comments I hate this guy clarkson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #193
bmwzone
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
We know the reason a Z4 owner is here on the 1Addicts site. The 1 is addictive like no other car under $50K.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #194
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

Glad you have the motorcycle, since my $35k 135i is faster than a $50k Z4 "M" car.

Think about it, the 135i is being constantly compared to vehicles 10-20-30K higher in price. What a performance value!
I agree with you there - I have a 2008 Ducati 1098 that is getting less saddle time now that I've driven the 135i hard on a track against formidable, dare I say "exotic" competitors. After that, I have a new respect and appreciation for my 135i as I cruise around town.

I could begin comparing my Ducati 1098 to Balls' MV ........ but I'll save THAT for another forum :thumbup:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #195
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
I don't think so. What I say about the 135i is accurate and not intended to knock it down. It is what it is. It's not what many people here make it out to be, and that's unfair to the buying public (especially those seeking real opinions as they contemplate a purchase). I have more respect for those that can show some enthusiasm and appreciation without overshadowing shortcomings. In other words, honesty is the best policy.
      10-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #196
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorob View Post
I agree with you there - I have a 2008 Ducati 1098 that is getting less saddle time now that I've driven the 135i hard on a track against formidable, dare I say "exotic" competitors. After that, I have a new respect and appreciation for my 135i as I cruise around town.

I could begin comparing my Ducati 1098 to Balls' MV ........ but I'll save THAT for another forum :thumbup:
I hope you don't think your 1098 is anywhere close as quick as my MV??? I've owned highly modified Ducatis and this thing (MV) is in another league. I miss the Ducati sound and v twin feel (will probably look for a 999 next year) but the MV is scarry fast and the stopping power is unreal as well. It's also a bit better balanced. Cornering is sublime. Cheers!

Note: I actually was going to purchase a 1098 last year but all dealers were out. So I decided to go for the MV. It is a fantastic bike, but again I do miss having a Ducati. luckily there are many for sale near new and at very reasonable prices. The 999 will mainly be for the wife to ride :-). She couldn't handle the MV.
      10-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #197
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
We know the reason a Z4 owner is here on the 1Addicts site. The 1 is addictive like no other car under $50K.
No but people who love the 1 REALLY love it. And people who hate it REALLY hate it.

The car is still new. Give it two years and see how much fun the car is. It is an excellent daily driver, all around package. Just not fun for some who enjoy a lightweight and nimble feeling car. Overall speed isn't important, it is how you get there. And for some the 135 is not the most enjoyable way to travel.

If you can only have a single car and only have 40k and you need a backseat and you don't live in the snow belt, straight-line speed/hp is important to you, you don't need great fuel economy and you need a measure of "luxury" then yes; the 135 is the best car you can get.

If you are willing to bend a bit on any of those or require something that gets you 90% there for 70% of the money there are options. And some of those options are more fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #198
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Curry road? Nurburgring? I guess if I lived in a country smaller than Montana I'd be more concerned about "finding a track" and "windy roads". Here in Texas we have no shortage of open roads where you can let this 300hp Twin Turbo sing.

I've driven TTs and know first-hand how "underwhelming" they are.

I've spent 6 years in Texas and have no fond memories of any roads, including the hill country. It's a little easier to go fast here in Germany, and at least you're surrounded by drivers that know what they're doing.

Not sure why you think the 135i is faster than my car. i know I can drive the Z4 M faster than I could the 135i. That's all that matters. 0-60 means little. Don't do too much of that. I leave that talk to the weenies of the world.

Sure, the TT in stock form has issues. Previously discussed. Nothing new there...

My Z4 M Coupe cost $8K more than my 135i. Quite the bargain for so much more performance. I don't compare the 135i to cars costling more. I compare it to cars costing thousands less. Cars that are more fun to drive as well. Power is nothing if the car is not that fun to drive in the first place, unless you like that disconnected feeling???
Closed Thread