BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #133
jpdb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2,M2,M2C,X3M,X3MC,M3C

1. goeslikeschnell

2. djpeetur

3. Micha3l

4. Richard135i

5. jprooney

6. Impulzive

7. beyondriddick

8. PigFarmer

9. bignico

10. Wizzzz

11. Chagrin

12. audiohigh

13. Salazar

14. gavolant

15. SFN55

16 Itsquick

17. Prof T

18. darkenergy

19. 135roller!

20. anttmann

21. oman135
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #134
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
looks promising
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #135
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

128i 138i M-Sport bumper lip

Possible pricing information:

MSRP will be $949+

Group Buy Prices:

10-$892
15-$845
20-$791

This is no official yet, but very close.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #136
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Thumbs up

I love it!

I like how it fills in where our chin has that gap. The reason I never got a lip before is because the gap between the lip and the chin always bothered me. But this...it's almost too hard to pass up! Just waiting to hear about pricing...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #137
Tab135
Banned
Rep
Drives: My10 BMW 135

Need shipping to australia, and ill be keen as add my name

1. goeslikeschnell

2. djpeetur

3. Micha3l

4. Richard135i

5. jprooney

6. Impulzive

7. beyondriddick

8. PigFarmer

9. bignico

10. Wizzzz

11. Chagrin

12. audiohigh

13. Salazar

14. gavolant

15. SFN55

16 Itsquick

17. Prof T

18. darkenergy

19. 135roller!

20. anttmann

21. oman135

22. KJD
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #138
jpdb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M,M2,M2,M2C,X3M,X3MC,M3C

and if you reach 30? 40?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #139
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprooney View Post
and if you reach 30? 40?
There maybe something at 30 and beyond and that will be it. What counts is how many poeple commit and pay, not just be on the list.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #140
Tab135
Banned
Rep
Drives: My10 BMW 135

when do you expect to have these shipped out ?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:31 AM   #141
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
iCarbon msrp is 899$ which is the target price SleK is trying to hit but the bigger the group buy the lower it will go. But they will not know the exact price until the mold comes out and the first lip is made.
lame. Why do people think that its ok to rip BMW owners off for this CF crap?

You know what else is $900? A Vorsteiner hood or a iCS trunk

So for $900 youll rather buy a thing to get broken on your first driveway over a trunk or a hood?

This is just silly to me

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 05:19 AM   #142
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post

So for $900 youll rather buy a thing to get broken on your first driveway over a trunk or a hood?

This is just silly to me

No knock on Harold and HP (I plan on getting some stuff from them in a few months). But the prices for cosmetic parts from some manufacturers is just absolutely ridiculous....but hey to each their own (and I think I have one of the most cosmetically modified 1ers on the forum...and still didn't pay near that much for ANY of my parts except for the hood...which I still didn't pay full price for)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #143
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post

No knock on Harold and HP (I plan on getting some stuff from them in a few months). But the prices for cosmetic parts from some manufacturers is just absolutely ridiculous....but hey to each their own (and I think I have one of the most cosmetically modified 1ers on the forum...and still didn't pay near that much for ANY of my parts except for the hood...which I still didn't pay full price for)
Maybe its just me and my knowledge of the STi forums where CF is expensive if its over $300 but some of the prices for 1er parts are ludicrious...and yet people pay it.

Its one of the reasons that I havent cosmetically modded my car, I look at the price and my jewish roots being to show

I mean if you want a lip buy a kersher ($350) or one that is actually function like an APR lip (which btdubs is bothlighter than this model and cheaper, and ohh yeah it actually works as a chin spoiler)

Im a function follows for kind of guy so it simply boggels my mind that things are this much.

Fun fact, the iCS rear diffuser actually weighs more than the stock plastic piece and provides no airflow benefits at all. So then why did you pay $900 for it?

One last thing. You know what I did pay $900 for at the beginning of the summer? My set of 17" OZ Ultraleggeras.

And at 17lbs a piece theyre probably lighter and far more functional than this thing.

#dirtyjewrant

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #144
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:

This is just silly to me
I would agree with you if this was made in China but it isn't.

SleK is comparable to Arkym on the E9x side. Where everything is made in America, 0 fitment issues, best quality CF we have available other than BMW OEM.

Arkym's front lip is 850$ for the E9x market which is a way bigger market and they have much more sales. If our market was just as big then this could be a bit lower of a price but it isn't.

This quality is superior to iCarbon which was still priced in this price range and sold tons of units, it is comparable to 3D Design because that is one of the only manufacturers for our cars that doesn't have their CF made in China and price reflects it.

You can't compare a 900$ iCarbon CS trunk which is on clearance right now at 1 vendor because they may never come back to the market again. Go look at the price it has been selling at before they went belly up which was 1200$+.

If you think our market is being ripped off so much by manufacturer's then you should start your own company and have all your parts made in China and see how that turns out for you. But I can already predict that for you. People will all be extremely pissed at you because your fitment will be off, it will take you longer to fill certain customers orders and if your price isn't low enough you will see multiple threads on this forum complaining about your CF is yellowing, why it's taking so long to properly fit the piece or how much the weave sucks.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #145
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

If I had the startup cash I would absolutely start my own company. Ive been debating doing that for several months now. And what do you say of Vorsteiner? They are a fantastic company where everything is made in shop in California and they have similar prices to you for larger slabs of CF.

You cant simply justify your high prices by saying ohh were just pricing ourselves with other insanely priced companies.

And say what you want about the parts the STi community uses. But ive seen most of them in person and for $400 they have some damned good looking and high quality parts.

How do you react to Kersher? They are based out of germany and with import taxes theyre prices are half of yours with good quality and fitment. Dont attempt to give me some of your marketing BS because it works on other people.

Just because this community is desperate for quality parts doesnt mean that price gouging is an ok practice.

And lol at your comparison to 3D Design. If I ever want to blow 5K on something with a 70% markup because its Japanese ill give them a call.

So. I propose a challenge. You give me the necessary money and basic knowledge of where to obtain molds and materials to start my own company and if I cant undercut your prices while making things that are function and undercut your prices you can have all the cash back.

If not, I get to keep it. Sounds like a plan?

Quote:
I would agree with you if this was made in China but it isn't.

SleK is comparable to Arkym on the E9x side. Where everything is made in America, 0 fitment issues, best quality CF we have available other than BMW OEM.

Arkym's front lip is 850$ for the E9x market which is a way bigger market and they have much more sales. If our market was just as big then this could be a bit lower of a price but it isn't.

This quality is superior to iCarbon which was still priced in this price range and sold tons of units, it is comparable to 3D Design because that is one of the only manufacturers for our cars that doesn't have their CF made in China and price reflects it.

You can't compare a 900$ iCarbon CS trunk which is on clearance right now at 1 vendor because they may never come back to the market again. Go look at the price it has been selling at before they went belly up which was 1200$+.

If you think our market is being ripped off so much by manufacturer's then you should start your own company and have all your parts made in China and see how that turns out for you. But I can already predict that for you. People will all be extremely pissed at you because your fitment will be off, it will take you longer to fill certain customers orders and if your price isn't low enough you will see multiple threads on this forum complaining about your CF is yellowing, why it's taking so long to properly fit the piece or how much the weave sucks.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #146
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
If I had the startup cash I would absolutely start my own company. Ive been debating doing that for several months now. And what do you say of Vorsteiner? They are a fantastic company where everything is made in shop in California and they have similar prices to you for larger slabs of CF.

You cant simply justify your high prices by saying ohh were just pricing ourselves with other insanely priced companies.

And say what you want about the parts the STi community uses. But ive seen most of them in person and for $400 they have some damned good looking and high quality parts.

How do you react to Kersher? They are based out of germany and with import taxes theyre prices are half of yours with good quality and fitment. Dont attempt to give me some of your marketing BS because it works on other people.

Just because this community is desperate for quality parts doesnt mean that price gouging is an ok practice.

And lol at your comparison to 3D Design. If I ever want to blow 5K on something with a 70% markup because its Japanese ill give them a call.

So. I propose a challenge. You give me the necessary money and basic knowledge of where to obtain molds and materials to start my own company and if I cant undercut your prices while making things that are function and undercut your prices you can have all the cash back.

Vorsteiner have had some serious fitment issues...just do a search over on the M3 forums. Not to mention my wheels still don't fit correctly even though they are "custom". To be honest I would rather buy American...buuut if Chinese version is well enough made and fits I will gladly pay that lower price. Example A:
Scopione Diffuser Under $500 Comparable quality to Icarbon....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #147
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Vorsteiner have had some serious fitment issues...just do a search over on the M3 forums. Not to mention my wheels still don't fit correctly even though they are "custom". To be honest I would rather buy American...buuut if Chinese version is well enough made and fits I will gladly pay that lower price. Example A:
Scopione Diffuser Under $400 Comparable quality to Icarbon....
Ahh yeah I forgot about your wheels. But theyre irrelevant to the convo because they arent made of CF Not trying to be a dick you know? Just staying in the topic.

And I forgot about Scorpione. Theyre new and fantastically priced.

Not everything Chinese made is bad. Only cheap chinese made stuff is.

As in most computers that arent made in Taiwan are made in China and most never know the difference.

And I forgot about their M3 issues. But those have been resolved if I remember correctly and I havent heard issues from their 1er hoods.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #148
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Ahh yeah I forgot about your wheels. But theyre irrelevant to the convo because they arent made of CF Not trying to be a dick you know? Just staying in the topic.

And I forgot about Scorpione. Theyre new and fantastically priced.

Not everything Chinese made is bad. Only cheap chinese made stuff is.

As in most computers that arent made in Taiwan are made in China and most never know the difference.

And I forgot about their M3 issues. But those have been resolved if I remember correctly and I havent heard issues from their 1er hoods.
Just using them as an example of a stateside outfit with fitment (no pun intended), resolved or not, issues....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #149
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You aren't looking into any other factors except pricing. I haven't looked into Vorsteiner because as someone said above they have fitment issues and I am not buying something where I can't be guaranteed it will fit. Adjusting a hood to fit with issues is much harder than a diffuser or front lip.

In regards to Kerscher, why do you think they are so much cheaper for the front lip? Because the design is extremely simple. Having a simple design means you can have a simpler mold. Having a simpler mold means you spend less on labor, materials and time to create the product. Kerscher's front lip is a 1 piece mold and all they have to do is make 1 general cut because the design is so simple. SleK's front lip is a 2 piece mold because the design is more complex then just taking a slab of fiberglass/CF and making a cut to it like Kerscher's is.

What marketing BS are you talking about? I am not affiliated with SleK or any other company. I am just someone local that let them use my car for prototyping. All I am stating are facts and my own opinions.

I just don't understand, you own a 40k+ BMW but yet refuse to pay 250$ more for superior product and quality? And would rather buy something that will start becoming dull and fading away in 2 years?

Last edited by cooler2442; 09-29-2011 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #150
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Scopione Diffuser Under $500 Comparable quality to Icarbon....
Yup, the reason Scopione was comparable to iCarbon is because both were Chinese made. I have first hand experience with both diffusers because I purchased a used iCarbon right at the time when my Scopione was coming in. With both you still have fitment issues. The iCarbon has less issues and took about 20minutes to put on due to just having to properly stretch it to one side of the car. Now the Scopione took 40+ minutes to put on because the tabs had to be sanded down and it was shorter than the iCarbon so it took even longer to stretch to the other side of the car. But yes the weave quality was comparable.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #151
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
With both you still have fitment issues. The iCarbon has less issues and took about 20minutes to put on due to just having to properly stretch it to one side of the car. Now the Scopione took 40+ minutes to put on because the tabs had to be sanded down and it was shorter than the iCarbon so it took even longer to stretch to the other side of the car. But yes the weave quality was comparable.
We had this discussion already.....
Anyway the pricing is still seriously high (and I have been upgrading my Bimmers since at least '02). Oh well I guess
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #152
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

You dont understand my point. I am a form follows function guy. Your lip has no functional in my aero engineering opinion. So im not spending any money on something that is simply for looks.

Where as the Kersher is a more realistic (though still not all that great) functional option. Thats why I gave the ultimate example of APR (a california based company) which makes functional, good looking, and not that expensive parts. Look at the Berk Tech racecar if you dont know who they are.

They no longer have fitment issues though. They fixed their issues as far as I know and their products are some of the best around. Its a hell of a lot better than Siban's crap thats for sure.

Marketing BS as in we priced this to be similar to other products so thats why the price is ok.

Thats bullshit, if I think iCarbon's prices are stupid how am I supposed to think about Slek's?

In not refusing to pay $250 more. Im refusing to pay $900 for a product that I see as stupid and overpriced. And why does how much I spent or didnt spend matter in this situation.

Quote:
You aren't looking into any other factors except pricing. I haven't looked into Vorsteiner because as someone said above they have fitment issues and I am not buying something where I can't be guaranteed it will fit. Adjusting a hood to fit with issues is much harder than a diffuser or front lip.

In regards to Kerscher, why do you think they are so much cheaper for the front lip? Because the design is extremely simple. Having a simple design means you can have a simpler mold. Having a simpler mold means you spend less on labor, materials and time to create the product. Kerscher's front lip is a 1 piece mold and all they have to do is make 1 general cut because the design is so simple. SleK's front lip is a 2 piece mold because the design is more complex then just taking a slab of fiberglass/CF and making a cut to it like Kerscher's is.

What marketing BS are you talking about? I am not affiliated with SleK or any other company. I am just someone local that let them use my car for prototyping. All I am stating are facts and my own opinions.

I just don't understand, you own a 40k+ BMW but yet refuse to pay 250$ more for superior product and quality? And would rather buy something that will start becoming dull and fading away in 2 years?

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #153
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You dont understand my point. I am a form follows function guy. Your lip has no functional in my aero engineering opinion. So im not spending any money on something that is simply for looks.

Where as the Kersher is a more realistic (though still not all that great) functional option. Thats why I gave the ultimate example of APR (a california based company) which makes functional, good looking, and not that expensive parts. Look at the Berk Tech racecar if you dont know who they are.

They no longer have fitment issues though. They fixed their issues as far as I know and their products are some of the best around. Its a hell of a lot better than Siban's crap thats for sure.

Marketing BS as in we priced this to be similar to other products so thats why the price is ok.

Thats bullshit, if I think iCarbon's prices are stupid how am I supposed to think about Slek's?

In not refusing to pay $250 more. Im refusing to pay $900 for a product that I see as stupid and overpriced. And why does how much I spent or didnt spend matter in this situation.
I understand your point 100%. I love function just as much as the next person but you cannot have the highest form of function with the best looks and other variables. There is a compromise somewhere in the middle.

The Kerscher has almost no functional purpose as well, it barely extends the front bumper. Barely extending does not provide any type of down force.

Yes I know who Berk is I have been at their shop and seen the race car in person.

So your talking about how your a "form follows function guy" and want someone to just come out with an APR splitter but your missing the whole point. Go look at the Berk car you are referencing and see how the splitter is attached. They have gotten rid of the gap in between our cars chin and the splitter itself because that is what needs to be done for it to be functional. APR does not do that. Also APR is a custom order because I do not see it being sold as an E82 splitter anywhere on there. You have to custom buy it and custom fit it yourself.

Why do you think SleK is getting rid of the gap our cars have with their front lip? Because they want it to be functional and provide some sort of down force yet look good and not be extremely sticking out where people will rip them off at any sort of dip.

I have a minor in Marketing and if there was some sort of Marketing BS here then I would call it out myself because like I said I do not work for SleK or any other vendor on this website. I personally see no Marketing BS. SleK has been extremely up front with all of the information that people ask for and they aren't providing any kind of BS.

You want Marketing BS? Go look at iCarbon, they say their products are clear coated when they obviously aren't. Clear coating costs an extra 125$+ per piece to be coated. If their products were clear coated then they would be alot shinier than they are now and they wouldn't start to dull after 6months like the iCarbon diffuser I picked up used that was on a car for 6months.

Your referencing Kersher which makes me assume you want to buy it which is around 400-500$, this lip is around 250-350$ more than that depending on how many people get in on the group buy.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #154
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
I'll stick my nose in this late... just for 1 good shot because I can't resist.
Quote:
REALLY?

You're gonna use iCS as a platform for "quality" CF products? They've had more issues with CF quality, fitment, and not to mention customer service, than any other vendor on here...

where's Black Sheep when you need him?

I totally agree with your point that pricing is getting out of control, people see BMW and expect us all to be loaded up the ass with mod money... but to say you're better off spending even a dime on iCS product is NOT a smart statement.
Appreciate 0