BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 Convertible

Steptronic n52 transmission performance

Hello,

I know throughout these forums, and on the 135i forums that people complain about the n52 regarding the lack of quick response from the gas pedal. However, I would like to have a discussion about that. I agree that on drive it is phenomenal if you wish to obey the speed limit, drive safe, and drive in traffic due to the slight lack of response from the gas pedal. In sport mode, I feel that sometimes that it can still lack response after driving for a while (oil shows in the module), but for the most part sport mode will bring the car to life as long as it you keep the car running and it is hot outside (helps heating up our engine)I find that if you shut off your car for a brief time (engine probably still warm) it will take a while for DS mode to be throttle happy.

Do you think BMW coded something into our cars to have the transmission hold back our engine if it cannot show the oil temperature gauge among other things for our car?

I drive 09 vert 128i, only 30k miles.

Is the solution to just drive in M2-M6 manual mode so we can control the revolutions? I see some people see improvement from a tune as well.

Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Patriot_Pat
Rep
Drives: 128

Here's how I use the transmission:

D - Daily commute / long highway drive / letting the engine warm up
DS - Something annoyed me on my daily commute
M - fun driving

The extra ~40 torques from the DISA Intake Manifold really help with throttle response.

Not really sure what you mean by "oil shows in the module" - are you getting oil warning lights?

Oil temp is monitored, its just not displayed to the driver. Real nice design decision on BMW's part. I'm a bit skeptical that the TCU is the optimal place to protect the engine from damage related to oil temp, it should be easier to limit RPMs in the ECU somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 Convertible

Hey,

I was referring to going through the car menu to see if the oil level is able to be read by the computer. People say that is when the car is “warmed up” because the ecu can read the oil level/temperature.

I actually have a n51 engine since I live in NY. Don’t I already have a 3 stage manifold?

Would a tune or extra parts really make it worthwhile for our 128is?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberryq10android View Post
Hey,

I was referring to going through the car menu to see if the oil level is able to be read by the computer. People say that is when the car is “warmed up” because the ecu can read the oil level/temperature.

I actually have a n51 engine since I live in NY. Don’t I already have a 3 stage manifold?

Would a tune or extra parts really make it worthwhile for our 128is?
The N51 is the better motor if you want to make a respectable gain without spending much money, as it already has the mod sought-after by a lot of N52 owners, and you're a tune away from 330i/130i power numbers. However, the low compression is a limiting factor for N/A power (it is better for boosting), and when you really want to go for an all-motor 128i/328i, the N52 is the better motor for that.

It really depends on your view of what's worthwhile, though. To me, the winner in value for merely satisfactory performance is the N51 (plus that 150k mile emissions warranty), but the winner for outright performance potential (and isn't an N54/55) is the N52.