BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What color is this dress?
Black and Blue 29 48.33%
White and Golf 31 51.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

03-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #67
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Just had the oddest thing happen. I'd forgotten all about this dumb story, but was going through another message forum where somebody had embeded the picture of the dress with some joke quote on it. Since the first time I saw the dress last week, all I could see was the gold/white. Now, when I saw this embedded image, I immediately saw blue/black, clear as day. However, for a brief moment I didn't realize I was looking at *the* dress. As soon as it clicked in my mind that is was the dress and how cool it was to finally see it in black/blue *POOF*, it instantly went back to gold/white in mind and I can no longer see it black/blue.

Oh well whatever.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:31 AM   #68
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Just had the oddest thing happen. I'd forgotten all about this dumb story, but was going through another message forum where somebody had embeded the picture of the dress with some joke quote on it. Since the first time I saw the dress last week, all I could see was the gold/white. Now, when I saw this embedded image, I immediately saw blue/black, clear as day. However, for a brief moment I didn't realize I was looking at *the* dress. As soon as it clicked in my mind that is was the dress and how cool it was to finally see it in black/blue *POOF*, it instantly went back to gold/white in mind and I can no longer see it black/blue.

Oh well whatever.
Here's a neat trick.
Hold your two hands up like blinders over the pic of three dresses Txstyle posted, so that you can see only one of the dresses at a time.
Say to yourself "blue-black" or think it - and voila you should be able to see it!
Move it over to the one in the middle, and the shade of blue should be lighter, and finally with a little effort you should be able to see the lightest one is light blue as well.
No idea what is called in scientific terms, but I'd call it 'stereo vision'- it appears as a shade in the periphery, but when you focus on it without paying as much attention to the periphery it becomes a color.
An evolutionary product no doubt, for seeing potential threats stalking you in the periphery whilst also being able to tell what color a berry is to figure out if it's safe to eat - with the same eye.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #69
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I was speaking with my son about this whole thing, and he came to the conclusion and I tend to agree this was a whole marketing scheme put on by the dress store and manufacturer of the dress.

Before this whole thing started (and it looks like the person messed with the original picture which cause people to see it differently) no one every heard of this store in England or the dress manufacturers. They got so much free press out of this stupid photo it was worth millions in advertising.

You have to give credit to person who came up with this whole things, It probably worked far better than they expect to take off like it did in less than 48 hours.
Appreciate 0