BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Yep, brake pads, again

I tried to read through the brake pads threads I can find first, but decided to open my own thread.

Purpose: Weekender, plus 2-3 track days a year
Tires: Still on Pilot Super Sports on stock 19" rims
Rotors: Sticking with OEM

Asked a reseller locally about the PFC08s and the first thing he said was - don't use it on the streets (probably because our temps are far cooler on average compared to say Texas). Could only get me pricing on fronts but not rears and he said he searched by pad shape rather than car make/model (might be an out-of-date parts database). He then recommends Ferodo DS2500 which I'm weary about (one UK forum user said it doesn't work well against OEM rotors)

Lots of my track buddies like HP+ - I have used HP+ on my previous Subaru Impreza coupe (STi power level on Goodyear F1 tires), it just severely dusts and tends to be loud with slotted rotors (OEM rotors are both slotted and drilled).

Pricing wise the PFC08s are quite a bit higher than the others and I'm weary of the "don't use on the street" comment about them (probably specific local temperatures) since I don't really want to swap pads. HP+ wouldn't be my first choice but if DS2500 is going to be worse for some odd ball reason, I might as well save some money with HP+ instead

StopTech performance street pads probably won't work all that well at the track (Ridge Motorsports is the one track I go and really nothing else), every other brands I will be importing myself as no local resellers out here

Anybody comment on DS2500 on stock rotors vs HP+, or more specifically, PFC08 on the street against stock rotors?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I've used DS2500 on a sometimes street driven car and they will stop just fine when cold, until you need to stop quickly. They do heat up after a few hard stops and then the grip is exceptional. They are safe to street drive if you are careful and aware of the limitations. I've never used them in below freezing conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I figure the DS2500 is ok on the street, not very much during the track (after a session or 2) - that's the impression I'm getting. I'm trying not to swap pads for 2-3 track days I go every year at the Ridge
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

In my experience, PFC08s are fine on the street (but I've only driven them in cold weather down to ~30F.) Cold bite is not an issue in my opinion, but the squeal is horrendous and makes them undriveable -- this is regardless of bedding status and everything else. Yes, I understand the "Because Racecar" thing but the screeching is really something else.

Disclaimer: I swap pads for street and track.

Another consideration might be PFC Z-rated which I've heard are ok for light track use.

Are you currently having issues with the stock pads on track?
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Not really any problem with the stock pads, but it's time to replace them so I generally check to see if there is anything aftermarket that would provide better value. I can't say for certain I would out-drive my pads given that I'm still on stock tires (PSS rather than PS2 however) although I might go with Dunlop ZII Star spec maybe even square setup

I was hoping more opinions on the HP+ / DS2500 / PFC08 close to my scenario
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Of those pads I have only tried the pfc08. I run them on both of my cars. The noise is not that bad and sometimes as quiet as stock. Bite on the street is there even when its cold. I have not run these in temperatures much colder than 30* FWIW but I would be more concerned with summer tires being ineffective at those temps. If you are willing to deal with occasional squeaks and squeals I would see no reason these can't be daily driven.

The pfc08 is designed for endurance racing so they last and last. I just swapped in a new set on my e36 M3 and there was still some meat on the old ones after 20+ days on the track. I have probably gotten 10-12 days out of the set for my 1M, I only got 4-5 out of pfc01 which is a race pad (you want noise and bite??)

I also really enjoy my square 275/18 setup. I am currently on hankook rs3 but you can't really go wrong with the others in that category Yoko ad08 (have not personally tried this one but have heard good things), Dunlop z2ss, Bridgestone re71r (these are the newest to this category and easily the stickiest, but they wear faster in my experience). My only complaints would be tramlining on the highway and noise late in the tire life but its all about trade-off...
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
The pfc08 is designed for endurance racing so they last and last. I just swapped in a new set on my e36 M3 and there was still some meat on the old ones after 20+ days on the track. I have probably gotten 10-12 days out of the set for my 1M, I only got 4-5 out of pfc01 which is a race pad (you want noise and bite??)
I plan to swap pads for the track, but still plan to pick up some PFC08's.

20+ track days? Wow. I would never have dreamed of that kind of longevity. How have your rotors held up?

Also, do you swap them? If so any major issues with uneven pad deposits swapping from these to OEM? I hope to get away with that, but if I can't I may just keep the PFC's on all the time and hope it is as quiet as you say.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
I tried to read through the brake pads threads I can find first, but decided to open my own thread.

Purpose: Weekender, plus 2-3 track days a year
Tires: Still on Pilot Super Sports on stock 19" rims
Rotors: Sticking with OEM

Asked a reseller locally about the PFC08s and the first thing he said was - don't use it on the streets (probably because our temps are far cooler on average compared to say Texas). Could only get me pricing on fronts but not rears and he said he searched by pad shape rather than car make/model (might be an out-of-date parts database). He then recommends Ferodo DS2500 which I'm weary about (one UK forum user said it doesn't work well against OEM rotors)

Lots of my track buddies like HP+ - I have used HP+ on my previous Subaru Impreza coupe (STi power level on Goodyear F1 tires), it just severely dusts and tends to be loud with slotted rotors (OEM rotors are both slotted and drilled).

Pricing wise the PFC08s are quite a bit higher than the others and I'm weary of the "don't use on the street" comment about them (probably specific local temperatures) since I don't really want to swap pads. HP+ wouldn't be my first choice but if DS2500 is going to be worse for some odd ball reason, I might as well save some money with HP+ instead

StopTech performance street pads probably won't work all that well at the track (Ridge Motorsports is the one track I go and really nothing else), every other brands I will be importing myself as no local resellers out here

Anybody comment on DS2500 on stock rotors vs HP+, or more specifically, PFC08 on the street against stock rotors?
DS2500 is a very good pad, better in every way than the outdated HP+. That said, neither one will take moderate to heavy track use.

PFC08 makes both front and rear pads for the 1M since it is exactly the same as E9x M3. A very popular pad with good bite throughout its temperature range and very long wear. You could get away with it on the street as it's cold temperature characteristics are not that bad, but I would advise not use them for extended street use.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I plan to swap pads for the track, but still plan to pick up some PFC08's.

20+ track days? Wow. I would never have dreamed of that kind of longevity. How have your rotors held up?

Also, do you swap them? If so any major issues with uneven pad deposits swapping from these to OEM? I hope to get away with that, but if I can't I may just keep the PFC's on all the time and hope it is as quiet as you say.
20+ days on the e36 - a car that is not as demanding on brakes. It is lighter (partially stripped) and down on power. On that car I leave the pfc in all the time as its rarely driven unless to/from/at the track. These rotors are due for replacement (70k miles on the car) but they were on the car when I bought it = undetermined mileage.

The 1m is my daily and I swap the pads before I go to the track, less frequently now w/ the m3 in the garage. It takes no time with a piston rewind tool. I have not had any issues with uneven pad deposits. My front rotors are just now starting to show some hairline cracks so they are due for replacement. The rotors are original and I just rolled over 27k mostly street some track (a few days w/ pfc01 most w/ pfc08)
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
20+ days on the e36 - a car that is not as demanding on brakes. It is lighter (partially stripped) and down on power. On that car I leave the pfc in all the time as its rarely driven unless to/from/at the track. These rotors are due for replacement (70k miles on the car) but they were on the car when I bought it = undetermined mileage.

The 1m is my daily and I swap the pads before I go to the track, less frequently now w/ the m3 in the garage. It takes no time with a piston rewind tool. I have not had any issues with uneven pad deposits. My front rotors are just now starting to show some hairline cracks so they are due for replacement. The rotors are original and I just rolled over 27k mostly street some track (a few days w/ pfc01 most w/ pfc08)
Lighter and less powerful. Had an E36 with track pads and euro rotors would run all day long at Laguna Seca.

If you are looking to upgrade, PFC makes a nice DD two-piece rotor.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #11
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Lighter and less powerful. Had an E36 with track pads and euro rotors would run all day long at Laguna Seca.

If you are looking to upgrade, PFC makes a nice DD two-piece rotor.
For the e36 its hard to beat the blanks @ <$200 for a set of front rotors.

I have a set of OEM for the 1M in the garage awaiting install. The PFC rotors sure are nice but pricey for a car that wont see much track time.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I thought about the PFC V3 rotors but for 2-3 track days where I'm more about having fun and not chasing time, I think OEM rotors is good enough and less pricey (although everything with BMW is pricey coming from a Subaru)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

The OEM rotors hold up to a ton of abuse.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #14
geeyore
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:

Not PFC, but I do run Pagid RS-29 all year round including 15-20 days track. They last the whole season, never lose bite, never fade, and are reasonably well-behaved on street. My new set this year squeak just a tad on occasion, but not even remotely close to the school bus/dump truck wail of HP+. I use them on flat OE rotors, which seem to get 2 seasons at the moment (I debated replacing this year after 1 season). The Zimmermans noted in my sig below are BMW OE. Yeah, there's brake dust, that's why I run black Apex wheels during track season, and the OE wheels with Blizzaks in the winter.
2011 135i 6MT, Cobb FMIC, Stoptech ST-60, Pagid RS-29, Castrol SRF, Goodridge G-Stop, Apex EC-7, Dinan Front Sway, Ohlins R&T, Swift 400/500, Vorshlag Camber, M3 lowers & bits, Diffsonline 3.08 3-clutch, Sparco Ergo/Evo, Schroth Hybrid, RRT welded 4-point hoop
DD: BMW 328xiT Prior: 2000 323iT 5MT, 2000 Z3 2.3 5MT, 2001 325iT 5MT, 2009 128i 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #15
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I'm in Van too and have a full set of pfc08 that I used once on track. PM me if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #16
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Kind of debating myself to go with just OEM pads - they worked OK for me at Ridge last year but I figure there might be better options for the price of OEM pads
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

For me, I found the pfc08 to be much superior than stock pads at mission which you know is very hard on brakes. I did one track day on the 08 pads and couldn't stand the noise. Then I switched to a full ap racing/essex bbk front and rear and never looked back.

If you're inclined to install them yourself, I'm willing to let you try them out. They're just sitting around anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #18
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought about the PFC V3 rotors but for 2-3 track days where I'm more about having fun and not chasing time, I think OEM rotors is good enough and less pricey (although everything with BMW is pricey coming from a Subaru)
PFC V3 is still not out for the 1M/M3. Just shipped another set of the V2 to a customer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #19
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another option is the new Stoptech Aero Rotor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #20
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Interesting - I thought the V3s were out for the fronts but not the rears. Are there actually PFC V3 rotors out for any application out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #21
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Interesting - I thought the V3s were out for the fronts but not the rears. Are there actually PFC V3 rotors out for any application out of curiosity?
I think they have them for E46 M3 and possibly E36.
http://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/PF...-Drive-Rotors/
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #22
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Ended up just going stockers all around for rotors and pads but now I have a different problem, posted in another thread. $700 for the front rotor pairs so as a wearable item, maybe I don't want to spend so much
Appreciate 0