BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #1
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Bad alignment causing DSC malfunction?

I've just installed M3 control arms and H&R springs/struts and my car is now badly out of alignment as a result, the steering wheel is even about 10 degrees off center. Once I nail down properly alignment specs for the car I will go to get it aligned. While driving the car the DSC light turned red and the brake light went yellow. I saw some other threads mentioning a bad steering wheel angle sensor, but I assume mine is working correctly since the wheels angle is actually off and the xenon headlights still track correctly. Am I correct in assuming that these systems should return to normal when I go to get the car aligned properly?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I would get an alignment asap. I would think you could just go with spec based on the parts you have ask them to put it close to min. end of the spec front & rear.

Front 1M specs
Rear 135i specs
      08-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
I've just installed M3 control arms and H&R springs/struts and my car is now badly out of alignment as a result, the steering wheel is even about 10 degrees off center. Once I nail down properly alignment specs for the car I will go to get it aligned. While driving the car the DSC light turned red and the brake light went yellow. I saw some other threads mentioning a bad steering wheel angle sensor, but I assume mine is working correctly since the wheels angle is actually off and the xenon headlights still track correctly. Am I correct in assuming that these systems should return to normal when I go to get the car aligned properly?
That's normal. After you get the car aligned, don't freak out if the lights are still on. You'll have to recalibrate the steering angle. To do this you turn your steering wheel lock to lock and this recalibrates the steering angle sensor and then your lights will turn off
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
Yes that's normal. The suspension is severely out of alignment after the M3 arms. Don't worry about it. It'll go back to normal. I had the same experience. You probably have about 2 degrees of toe right now which is an insane amount. Drive on slow roads to the shop for an alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
That's normal. After you get the car aligned, don't freak out if the lights are still on. You'll have to recalibrate the steering angle. To do this you turn your steering wheel lock to lock and this recalibrates the steering angle sensor and then your lights will turn off
No he won't. The center is still the center.
      08-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Sounds to me like you busted a wheel speed harness ...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Sounds to me like you busted a wheel speed harness ...
He didn't. OP's car is fine.
      08-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Very bad alignment will cause DSC malfunction. Ask me how I know!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #8
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Thanks for the feedback. I was guessing that this would all resolve itself with an alignment but just wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any extra steps to get the electronics working correctly again.

I doubt I damaged anything since I disconnected all the wires for clearance and none of the errors appeared until I had driven it a bit.

Any suggestions for good alignment shops in the Bay Area, Ca? Preferably near San Jose.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
Mikey3351213
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Could you please tell me how? I have a 08 335i e90 and I installed H&R springs and I know doing that will mess up my alignment, but I didn’t expect all of these light to pop up

Thanks! My first post new to bimmerpost
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey3351213 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Could you please tell me how? I have a 08 335i e90 and I installed H&R springs and I know doing that will mess up my alignment, but I didn’t expect all of these light to pop up

Thanks! My first post new to bimmerpost
Is that all you did? Did you take off any suspension arms or change them? Generally springs only significantly affect camber which has a little effect on toe but it'll be equal side to side. Did you have to lower the subframe to get the rear springs in? I forget if I did that.

It's possible you've ripped out a wheel speed sensor during the install also.

Regardless the car needs and alignment. That should always be priority after suspension work.