BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
gvstone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS / 2013 135i M Sport

Rattling mostly and a little grinding MT

Shop says coming from the rear of the transmission on my 2011 135i MT. I bought the car from a person on the forum a few months ago and the rattle seems to be getting worse as time goes on. A couple questions for the experts here, would the bearings on the rear output shaft be changeable in the field or would it be best to find a used transmission and change it out??
Also is there a "model number" of the trans to help locate what is available??
Any one else experience a similar situation? Has 105k on it now.
Thanks!! Greg
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Is it a chugging sound, like a low rumbling when in neutral with foot off of clutch? That's usually just clutch chatter, which is mostly harmless...

A clunking when setting off is usually indicative of an aging Dual Mass Flywheel, but can also be a failing Guibo joint (very close to trans' rear) or driveshaft center support bearing (under rear sear floor).

I haven't seen any issues with tranny bearings, but I'd definitely look more into it, it would suck to replace the trans and find out that it was a center support bolt that was slightly too loose.

About the bearings being serviceable, I have no idea about that!

Good luck! I hope you find an easy, inexpensive solution to your issues!
      04-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
gvstone
Private
United_States
Rep

A bit more clarification...

Seems to start making noise around 20 mph, none of the following seem to matter... what gear, brakes, clutch in or out. What does seem to matter is pulling hard seems to make it either quit or be less "hearable"??? Can't seem to hear it at 40 or so plus, maybe due to wind and road noise...
Appreciate you taking time to answer!!!
Greg
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvstone View Post
Seems to start making noise around 20 mph, none of the following seem to matter... what gear, brakes, clutch in or out. What does seem to matter is pulling hard seems to make it either quit or be less "hearable"??? Can't seem to hear it at 40 or so plus, maybe due to wind and road noise...
Appreciate you taking time to answer!!!
Greg
Marbles in a can type of sound? What you're describing sounds kinda familiar.

Have someone in the car, get it on the lift and listen to the gearbox and driveshaft area from underneath the car.
      04-29-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
gvstone
Private
United_States
Rep

Good description!

We have that planned, had the walnut blasting done and ask the shop to look into it and they say it's coming from rear of trains but will confirm!
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Let me get my chrisflies comment out of the way-- "OP, should've bought a DCT so you wouldn't have this problem! DCT for the win!LOLBAGOFDICKS!!11!" Oh, wait...

With that out of the way, take the car to the dealer. Yes, they'll charge you an hour labor to check it out, but you'll know for a fact what the issue is. My feeling is that you need a new transmission, since these are not rebuildable due to the fact that they don't sell parts for them.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Let me get my chrisflies comment out of the way-- "OP, should've bought a DCT so you wouldn't have this problem! DCT for the win!LOLBAGOFDICKS!!11!" Oh, wait...

With that out of the way, take the car to the dealer. Yes, they'll charge you an hour labor to check it out, but you'll know for a fact what the issue is. My feeling is that you need a new transmission, since these are not rebuildable due to the fact that they don't sell parts for them.
I can take a jab...
      04-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
gvstone
Private
United_States
Rep

Well, my other one is a DCT!!

Hate to hear that they don't sell parts!! That sucks! Advise of going to the dealer is good though!

Have a feeling this was known when I bought it from the last owner, sad!!

Thanks all for the comments!!
Greg
Appreciate 1