BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
BMW Owner Reputation

Since I bought my 1er recently, I've started to become aware of these preconceived notions some people seem to hold regarding BMW owners. I've mostly noticed it on internet forums, but have caught whiffs of it in real life. It's this notion that people who buy BMW's are primarily motivated by brand conciousness, and further, that BMW owners are inherently @$$holes. I've seen posts comparing 128i's with GTI's or C30's or whatever, and the conclusion is that the only possible reason one would choose the Bimmer is snobbery. Even when people concede the Bimmer offers superior driving dynamics. And I've literally seen people say things like "well, I thought about the 128i, but I didn't really want to be seen as the typical BMW owner (expletive)." Or this one was funny: "Subaru = performance, Lexus = luxury, BMW = brand." (Not a performance-oriented luxury brand, mind you, just a brand - whatever that means...). I've heard more subtle comments in person, but still - the implication is there. Are these people just jealous, or crazy?
I could really care less what random assumptions people are going to make about me out on the road because of the nameplate on my car, but I was just wondering if this was a common thing, as I wasn't aware of it previously. I guess I don't get why BMW is singled out - I don't hear people trash-talking MB or Audi owners, at least not to the same extent.
Oh, and the 1er seems to be particularly scorned. Some people seem to think we're just a bunch of folks who really wanted 3ers but couldn't afford one, so we settled for the cheaper 1er so we could at least have a roundel on our cars...
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
1ottawa
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

drive that bimmer. Don't give a damn about what others say.

Face roll them when required.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Why Knot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Since I bought my 1er recently, I've started to become aware of these preconceived notions some people seem to hold regarding BMW owners. I've mostly noticed it on internet forums, but have caught whiffs of it in real life. It's this notion that people who buy BMW's are primarily motivated by brand conciousness, and further, that BMW owners are inherently @$$holes. I've seen posts comparing 128i's with GTI's or C30's or whatever, and the conclusion is that the only possible reason one would choose the Bimmer is snobbery. Even when people concede the Bimmer offers superior driving dynamics. And I've literally seen people say things like "well, I thought about the 128i, but I didn't really want to be seen as the typical BMW owner (expletive)." Or this one was funny: "Subaru = performance, Lexus = luxury, BMW = brand." (Not a performance-oriented luxury brand, mind you, just a brand - whatever that means...). I've heard more subtle comments in person, but still - the implication is there. Are these people just jealous, or crazy?
I could really care less what random assumptions people are going to make about me out on the road because of the nameplate on my car, but I was just wondering if this was a common thing, as I wasn't aware of it previously. I guess I don't get why BMW is singled out - I don't hear people trash-talking MB or Audi owners, at least not to the same extent.
Oh, and the 1er seems to be particularly scorned. Some people seem to think we're just a bunch of folks who really wanted 3ers but couldn't afford one, so we settled for the cheaper 1er so we could at least have a roundel on our cars...
Thoughts?
I had a 335i and traded it in on a 135i, which in my opinion is more a driver's car than the 335i, The people you worry about are just snobs in reverse. Forget their opinions and enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Trowa
Jack Bauer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive, 2016 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ottawa View Post
drive that bimmer. Don't give a damn about what others say.

Face roll them when required.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think in the past(10 years ago) BMW cars DID attract the @$$holes drivers. Now all these @$$holes have moved onto Audi! lolol Audi is in with this crowd. I think even Top Gear did mention this too on one of their shows last year.

Its funny how certian drivers get attracted to certian types of cars. This "fatal attraction" knows no borders! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

I knew when I purchsed my first in Dec 09, that I would be "signing up" for some hate. They did not disappoint. From the random jackarse flipping me off for no reason, to people cutting me off to coworkers giving me a hard time etc. None of this stuff happened with my STi or any of the other cars I've owned.

There's definitely some strong notions people have about that blue & white roundel. I find it amusing, actually. It is staring to get old though. It's as if driving a 1 series BMW has somehow magically propelled my financial status to that of something far beyond what it is. There's trucks and SUVs all over the place that cost a lot more than this thing did. Yet somehow, people don't feel the same thing towards those vehicles/drivers.
      03-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

It just spans from ingorance, people just dont realize that they are not that expensive of cars (especially the 1). I mean a loaded yukon is more than a 1. It suprises me that you dont hear things like this about mb though, I have several friends with older c classes and they say they get it all the time in a 10-15K car which I find very funny. All said, the other guys have the right idea. Just dont care about what people say, its your car and should it should not have to please anyone but you!
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Also it totally depends where you live and where you work. If you live in Marietta (Atlanta area) or Hinsdale (Chicago land) then people will not think twice but if you live in a cookie cutter neighborhood where moms drive mini-vans and dads drive SUV’s or trucks then you are sure to get some flack.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I always liked how people gave me shit at work because I drove an "expensive" car. Litterally heard about it daily for the first few weeks of ownership.

The funny thing was that this was always coming from people who were driving LTZ tahoes, etc. which easily cost 10-12k more than my 1er. Unfortunatly there is a blindness associated with BMWs. People just "think" that they cost more, when in fact you can option a minivan out to cost more than twice what I paid for my car. *shrug*

I always shrugged it off, but when it got to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore, I'd make complete fools of the people making fun of me. I'd usually wait until I was in a large group and without missing a beat, I'd say something like... "Quit your bitching, if you want to trade jobs and work 90 hour weeks I'd be more than happy to oblidge. If you don't, then put your ruler away and shut the fuck up, because no one gives a shit." It works best if you can maintain laser-beam eye contact with them while you are saying it.

People don't say much to you about it after you do something like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

You know, it's funny here. The vast majority of the people I work with are making a pretty decent living. Bottom wage for our shop guys is about $18/hr, but most of them are making closer to $30, and everyone else is an engineer. This being IN, the parking lot is FULL of trucks.

After I got the BMW, I started hearing comments from these guys about how I must be making a lot more money than they are, and stuff like that. One of them got so vocal about it that I had to point out to him that he's got a wife that doesn't work, two kids, a four bedroom home, while I'm single, live in a decent condo (that's very energy efficient) and he's still driving a pickup truck that cost damn near what my car did.

A lot of people think BMWs cost a lot more than they do, and a lot of them also don't consider what they're actually paying for the stuff they drive compared to it.

I used to hear this same kind of stuff when I was driving a 318ti that I bought used for $13k!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
deliberate1
Rep
Drives: 2006 530xi

"I think in the past(10 years ago) BMW cars DID attract the @$$holes drivers. Now all these @$$holes have moved onto Audi! lolol Audi is in with this crowd. I think even Top Gear did mention this too on one of their shows last year. "

I recently saw an episode of Top Gear during which Richard Hammond was identifying cars and their likely drivers. He said something to the effect that everyone knows that all drivers of the Audi RS4 are "c*cks" (it was bleeped, so I did to). If so, I must be the biggest "c*ck" since I have an Audi A4 and
S4. To make matters worse, my wife drives a 530xi and I am on the prowl for a Series 1. I am a bad person or I have the biggest....
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some people seem to think we're just a bunch of folks who really wanted 3ers but couldn't afford one, so we settled for the cheaper 1er so we could at least have a roundel on our cars...
Thoughts?
Particularly ignorant since the 135i fits nicely right into the 328 price range.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Quote:
Some people seem to think we're just a bunch of folks who really wanted 3ers but couldn't afford one, so we settled for the cheaper 1er so we could at least have a roundel on our cars...
Thoughts?
Haha, I have gotten this a LOT as well. There's no amount of justifying it to shut up these people.

I wanted the absolute lightest new BMW I could find with turbos on it. Not much to say to that.
      03-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Particularly ignorant since the 135i fits nicely right into the 328 price range.
A well-optioned 135i is more than a base 5 series. Food for thought.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
First, I agree. The "c*ck" title has moved from BMW to Audi, and yes, Top Gear did say it and it does seem to be true now.

Second, coming from the #1 BMW area in America, known as South Florida, down here if you are not driving a nice car, you are considered "less". So, when you have a 1) premium car with 2) comprehensive warranty, 3) good reputation, and 4) great interest rates, you are going to get a lot of people who will do whatever it takes to buy the car.

80% of all new BMW's are leased. People don't buy BMW's, they lease them. Then a good majority of those people are spending up to 50% or so of their take-home pay on their car payment. The two cars you see most of down here are of course the stripped 328i sedan and the 650ci. The people making $30K a year will get the 328i, and the people who are doing well enough and should just buy a 1Series or a nicely appointed 3Series are putting all their money into getting a 6Series, so they can say "Hey, look at me!"

I get look-downs from the 3Series drivers all the time, and there is always some dumbarse in a 335 who thinks he can take me. Most can't even remember to turn off their DTC, let alone knowing the 5 Second trick. (Sidebar, another one of these type of idiots is with his wife and small kid in baby seat in an E-Class V8-Kompressor, and he stomped it off the line at me. I wasn't prepared, didn't do the 5 second trick, had a 3 car deficit, and still left him in the dust).

And, I totally agree with Jeremyc74. Those guys will spend all their money on trucks and then call us snobs! (Buzzer) Sorry, wrong, thanks for playing.

So yea, there are always haters, and as we see in the other threads, they will physically take it out on our cars. That's yet another reason why I don't mind driving my commuter car all over. Let alone that it is faster than the 328 and of course the Audi 2.0T
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Haha man I hear everyone...

When I had the 1'er I was called "preppy", a snob, richkid.. was even told "nice go kart" or "nice girls car" on occasion...

Now apparently I am driving a mid life crisis car(oh and I am 28 btw) according to some, or have even been asked when I became a meat head...

Screw everyone.. drive what you like!!

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #17
titancrusher1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jet Black 135i

I especially love muscle car guys attitudes. I love to watch them get REALLLY tiny in my rear view mirror
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by titancrusher1 View Post
I especially love muscle car guys attitudes. I love to watch them get REALLLY tiny in my rear view mirror
Especially Mustang drivers!
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep

The worst attitudes I've seen are on muscle forums like Camaro where a lot of people think if you buy anything other than red-white-blue you're a traitor.

However, I can certainly say some of the most miserable people I've observed have been middle-age women at the BMW service center getting work done on their SUV or 7-series. Their attitudes and the way they speak down to people are stereotypically spot on as BMW snobs.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

a 135i is an expensive car though, any way you look at it. I know most of the people on this forum own multiple businesses and whatnot, but for the average working joe, a 46+ thousand dollar car (Canadian) isn't cheap. I realize they are a bit cheaper in the States, but they are even more expensive elsewhere.

I want one pretty damn bad but I haven't been able to justify the numbers yet (maybe because I don't drive enough kilometers in a year). Base price of an F-150 is almost 25 grand. Base price of a 135i is almost 43. They really aren't even in the same ballpark.

I am sure if I ever manage to get one I'll be deluged with a litany of "I wish I was making as much as you were" comments at work.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

No doubt there is still some snobbery with some BMW drivers (but definately not from Addicts) And there will always be some perception, mostly driven by envy IMO, from the general public about Bimmers. But I think something I read in another thread is the best answer. When you face it, put it in DS, or drop a gear and watch it from your rear view mirror.
Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #22
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

I'm on my 3rd BMW in 10 years, and I have one thing to say about the op.

What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? The BMW has the prick on the inside.

AntonV <----- proud prick

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0