BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #45
FastBimmerN54
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: Seats and a Steering Wheel

Thanks for the Cobb AP Jeff. Great Price as everyone mentioned!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #46
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Three reasons for the price: 1) Time to Market - long developmental time. 2) Supply & Demand - 135 & 335 owner's like to push these cars to the limit. 3) Free upgrades - code.

Well worth the price...bought mine from Alan @ **********s.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 12:34 AM   #47
megatron335
Starscream from e46fanatics
Rep
Drives: 2013 911 C4S Former 08 335xi

How much for one shipped to 45040? (My PM isn't activated yet)

Last edited by megatron335; 07-31-2011 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 04:36 AM   #48
Boomstick1491
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Exactly, BMW owners should expect to have their warranty voided too. I'm willing to bet more people are willing to void the warranty on their $35k EVO (or $20k used a year later), with a $6k engine than their $50k BMW with a $12k engine. I'm also willing to bet that more EVO owners tune their car than 335i/135i owners. A good indication is the sheer size of some of the EVO forums in comparison to BMW boards. More potential customers = more profit = cheaper selling price.
This makes me very leery of installing the Cobb AP I just bought. I want to tune the car to get additional performance, but I do not want my warranty voided. Does anyone have any data points on this, particularly from the dealers in the DC area? Eeeek, please help, since I am itching to install the tune, but will immediately sell the unit if it will void my warranty. Thanks for the help guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #49
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick1491 View Post
This makes me very leery of installing the Cobb AP I just bought. I want to tune the car to get additional performance, but I do not want my warranty voided. Does anyone have any data points on this, particularly from the dealers in the DC area? Eeeek, please help, since I am itching to install the tune, but will immediately sell the unit if it will void my warranty. Thanks for the help guys.
Mosx is speculating and making his opinion known regarding BMW. Just do it! I did research and the Mfg will need a good reason to void your warranty, thus they will have to prove the root cause is the tune regarding any failures in question. I always say "Correlation is not causal"...Facts people...Facts.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #50
gdub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

There are plenty of people that have uninstalled the Cobb AP and taken the car to the dealer and the dealer had no idea it was ever installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #51
Boomstick1491
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub View Post
There are plenty of people that have uninstalled the Cobb AP and taken the car to the dealer and the dealer had no idea it was ever installed.
I was just chatting with a buddy about tuning cars (not specifically BMWs in this case) and he said that he had previously had his car tuned with a similar ECU flash device, which he uninstalled prior to taking the vehicle to a service station for the VA state inspection. Evidently the mechanic/tech took a look at the car and said to him, "you should drive the car around for about an hour and then come back and I will inspect it." Bottom line, I guess even though he had reverted his ECU to a stock config, it still registered the mod settings; in his case it required a little bit of driving to clear the ECU back to stock. Any idea if this might be true of the Cobb too?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #52
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick1491 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub View Post
I was just chatting with a buddy about tuning cars (not specifically BMWs in this case) and he said that he had previously had his car tuned with a similar ECU flash device, which he uninstalled prior to taking the vehicle to a service station for the VA state inspection. Evidently the mechanic/tech took a look at the car and said to him, "you should drive the car around for about an hour and then come back and I will inspect it." Bottom line, I guess even though he had reverted his ECU to a stock config, it still registered the mod settings; in his case it required a little bit of driving to clear the ECU back to stock. Any idea if this might be true of the Cobb too?
This happened to me when I had to replace a battery on my late 07 C6 corvette with no tune... I don't see it as an issue personally.
      07-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #53
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

^^^ This issue actually has nothing to do with getting a tune, it has to do with the OBD2 readyness code.

If you pulled your battery to a completely stock car, then immediately went to have it smogged, they would tell you the same thing.

There are a certain set of parameters that need to be met, before the bit is flipped. I believe that it is not based on a set time, but it is instead based on a specified number of start/stop cycles.
      09-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #54
JBurer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i, 1991 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rst 1 View Post
+1 on Top Gear Solutions!
Email sales@topgearsolutions.com
You'll be SUPER happy you did. Let's just say one of the lowest prices I've seen is what I paid, and OH MY GOODNESS is it worth it.
I wouldn't bother with this guy. He likes to playing games, witholding his price for the unit until the customer has searched other sources. A little prick-ish in his responses, to boot.

I'd recommend Alan************. Friendly, and the best price.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #55
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

The COBB AP for BMWs are more costly yes but it all has to do with the time spend to R&D the tune. It took COBB nearly 2-2.5 years to "crack the code" VS 1 month in the STI. BMWs ECU is a whole lot more complex compared to other vehicles in general. For those of you who have dealt with me in the past thanks for your continued support. For those of you have haven't, feel free to send me a PM and you will not be disappointed
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #56
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

[QUOTE=**********s.com;10447417]The COBB AP for BMWs are more costly yes but it all has to do with the time spend to R
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #57
1-2MANY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurer View Post
I'd recommend Alan************. Friendly, and the best price.
+1 Alan is great
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #58
Dhunckyn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [6.50]
1964 Chevy C10  [10.00]
How are vendors getting away with selling for under MSRP? When I was a dealer for Cobb all of their products were required to be sold for MSRP, the only deals you could give we free shipping/install. This make it so local (small) shops could compete with larger shop or the ebay stores that had no or extremely low overhead.
      09-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #59
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

I absolutely love my Cobb. Worth every penny. The guys at **********s were great too
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #60
bankerkys
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Mosx is speculating and making his opinion known regarding BMW. Just do it! I did research and the Mfg will need a good reason to void your warranty, thus they will have to prove the root cause is the tune regarding any failures in question. I always say "Correlation is not causal"...Facts people...Facts.
Where did you get this data? Can you post some links or cite a case? With all due respect, I disagree with you.

I do not believe a dealer has to prove anything. If a dealer finds out you have a tune on the car, and you have ANY power train issue, then they can void your warranty if they so choose. And if you don't like it, then you will have to get a lawyer (unless you are one) and try and fight them (and you will likely spend more money in time and/or litigation than it will cost to repair the car). There is a big difference between using an aftermarket oil filter or installing new wheels and tires and putting in a tune.

Now, will a dealer void your warranty? I guess it just depends on what kind of dealer you have. But in my experience, I trust NO dealer when it comes to warranties and aftermarket parts (any one of them can decide to be a pain in the _ss). For instance, I've had two service departments in GA hint to me that they will void my warranty if I have a tune. So anyone who gets a tune should be aware of the risks. It just takes one jerk to create a problem.

I've had a tune on my 135i and I highly recommend getting one (previously ran JB3, but got sick of taking it in and out each time my car was in the shop). Folks should just understand that you can end up with a voided warranty when you install a tune if the dealer finds out. It may not be likely, but it can still happen. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #61
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerkys View Post
Where did you get this data? Can you post some links or cite a case? With all due respect, I disagree with you.

I do not believe a dealer has to prove anything.
"Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal"

Sources of the above information include:

Superchips Inc. Newsletter / Car Craft September 1994 issue.
Federal Trade Commission Website.
State Bar of Texas Website (texasbarcle.com)

I am not going to argue...I have been part of one in another section and reviewed many arguments over the threads and I consider it useless. It reminds me of a meeting I had in Europe...the French guy says to the German "I know you are wrong, and dont get me wrong, I understand where you are coming from, but you are wrong b/c I am RIGHT". I am not going to post the entire article but in Illinois the "Lemon Law" is applied first and foremost followed by the Magnuson Act if the states Lemon Law does not cover the rights of the consumer.

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 10-18-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0