BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #45
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Added some aero to the car, will be building out a larger alumalite splitter based on the E46 M3 splitter at a local racing shop (Lifes Good Racing in the bay area)

The wing is a fleabay special, literally copying the E46 M4 USTCC that they race at Lifes Good... Ordered an APR GTC wing and realized that I'm paying 6x the price for weight and brand name. I went with aluminum and the part is actually quite high quality. Will be replacing the risers and mounting points but it'll do the job (also within the body shadow) as required by a few governing bodies for time trials.

Car has been performing flawlessly, put down a 1:289xx at Thunderhill West (pre aero) and am eager to shake it down at all my local tracks with the aero to see how it behaves.

Have connected with TC Design/fabrication as they're local to me for the cage work which will happen over winter. Then will be running Nasa next year!
Attached Images

11-03-2017, 11:06 PM   #46
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

You want much bigger end plates on that wing. Larger endplates allow the wing to function as if it was a larger wing without any additional drag penalty. And I suspect you are going to want more than a 2" splitter to have any meaningful impact on the front end - the car already has a good underbody from factory so you really need some size to improve it.

-Mark
      11-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #47
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
You want much bigger end plates on that wing. Larger endplates allow the wing to function as if it was a larger wing without any additional drag penalty. And I suspect you are going to want more than a 2" splitter to have any meaningful impact on the front end - the car already has a good underbody from factory so you really need some size to improve it.

-Mark
Yep, I'm petty familiar with basic fluid dynamic principles... raw materials are en route for the end plates and I have a giant sheet of alumalite in my garage for the front splitter. Just want some seat time before the rains get too wild, as fun as wet HPDEs are.

Just need some free time and to clean my garage lol
      11-04-2017, 12:53 AM   #48
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Sweet! Front splitter looks rad. I need.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #49
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Yep, I'm petty familiar with basic fluid dynamic principles... raw materials are en route for the end plates and I have a giant sheet of alumalite in my garage for the front splitter. Just want some seat time before the rains get too wild, as fun as wet HPDEs are.

I don't see how a longer splitter will change anthing in regrds to downforce. I'd add some canards. That's a big wing that probably produces a good couple hundred lbs of downforce whereas a splitter might add 100-150lbs. An airdam would help cooling and add some downforce too to balance the wing out. Maybe a scoop/dam to some decent hood vents.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #50
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
Quote:

I don't see how a longer splitter will change anthing in regrds to downforce. I'd add some canards. That's a big wing that probably produces a good couple hundred lbs of downforce whereas a splitter might add 100-150lbs. An airdam would help cooling and add some downforce too to balance it out.
A splitter will help if it has a slight AOA with an airdam, anything is better than the stock aerodynamics of the E82 bumper. It's all a project for me, car doesn't see streets so I like to build random projects like splitters and such when I'm not out on the track.

Btw I do have a small airdam mounted above the splitter, need to fill the small gap between the two though.
      11-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #51
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
A splitter will help if it has a slight AOA with an airdam, anything is better than the stock aerodynamics of the E82 bumper. It's all a project for me, car doesn't see streets so I like to build random projects like splitters and such when I'm not out on the track.

Btw I do have a small airdam mounted above the splitter, need to fill the small gap between the two though.
Post some better splitter and bumper pics!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 12:17 AM   #52
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Quote:

Post some better splitter and bumper pics!
Here's one without the air dam and two with the current setup.
Attached Images

11-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #53
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Went down to watch Global Time Attack - Super Lap Battle at buttonwillow this last week. Planned to race but had to help family move on Sat/Sun and don't have the aero sorted to be competitive.

Was cool meeting the Professional Awesome team and some of the Midwest/East Coast teams. Such dedication...

Picked up these hood vents too from PA... Just need to find a donor hood for venting. Plus a photo of the overall winner with a 1:40 CW13 in the dope Gridlife livery.
Attached Images

11-18-2017, 12:11 AM   #54
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Got some seat time at Laguna Seca today, unfortunately due to the rain + cold track + traffic I couldn't break my 1:45.04 (there's always an excuse but predictive had me at 1:43.5 going into T11 with traffic which happened twice )

Car feels a little unbalanced without proper front aero, re-learning braking zones and stoked to start building my front aero-package - hoping for a dry winter.
Attached Images

Dr182.00
Matticus913469.50
      11-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #55
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Thanks for the update. I really enjoy reading the build threads in the track sub forum.

How are your oil temps? Is the dinan oil cooler sufficiently keeping temps in check?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #56
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Thanks for the update. I really enjoy reading the build threads in the track sub forum.

How are your oil temps? Is the dinan oil cooler sufficiently keeping temps in check?
Yeah, I don't think the dual core is necessary at my boost levels (16psi) - I could probably drop my times a bit by running stage 2+ which I'll likely start doing as my turbos are on their way out anyways.
      11-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #57
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Thanks to Marco for hooking it up with the hood, I'm going to try out just the front vent at my next track day and see what kind of additional front end grip I find. Maybe add the louvers in the future, they're pretty aggressive.

Should allow for a a solid reduction in high pressure under the hood and hopefully reduce understeer. Gonna try dialing in more negative camber too and see what happens.
Attached Images

11-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #58
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Front air scoop block-off plate installed.

Wish this car was just slightly more aerodynamic and less of a cube shape haha
Attached Images

11-22-2017, 01:13 AM   #59
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Test fitting the new hood, ilikebmxbikes thanks again dudez!
Attached Images

11-22-2017, 05:40 AM   #60
R1wheelieforfun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3

Quote:
What wing are you using in this photo? I see back in your posts you mention you are running an Ebay wing, but the recent photo here your wing is clearly different. Is that the APR GTC wing? If so which one? I like the height on it, and the size of the side flaps too. I was looking at some of the generic 'Ikon' motors ones on Ebay, but still have my eyes on the APR GTC 200.

Thanks, and nice build!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #61
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Went out to Buttonwillow today, 3rd lap of first session I hit a 2:02 flat - then had some contact with another car on track - good excuse for a 1M conversion... Saw some sketchy stuff with SpeedSF today (overly aggressive driving, people openly smoking joints who were driving... pretty unacceptable IMO) - last time with that group

I think the car has a 1:55 in it with its current setup on Federal RSRR. Going down to Redline Time Attack next month and am shooting for a 1:57.

Have to swap out some front arms, fender & rims after my contact today... Perks of crashing on Black Friday is that everything is on sale.
Attached Images

11-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #62
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1wheelieforfun View Post
Quote:
What wing are you using in this photo? I see back in your posts you mention you are running an Ebay wing, but the recent photo here your wing is clearly different. Is that the APR GTC wing? If so which one? I like the height on it, and the size of the side flaps too. I was looking at some of the generic 'Ikon' motors ones on Ebay, but still have my eyes on the APR GTC 200.

Thanks, and nice build!!
Are you local to the bay area? I picked up the Ikon APR knockoff and picked up aftermarket 8in stands and custom fabbed mounts & ABS end plates for the wing.

Cost about $300 total for an adjustable carbon wing with aluminum risers/stands. VERY happy with the performance of it + my vented hood. Feels pretty balanced
      11-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #63
R1wheelieforfun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3

Quote:
Are you local to the bay area? I picked up the Ikon APR knockoff and picked up aftermarket 8in stands and custom fabbed mounts & ABS end plates for the wing.

Cost about $300 total for an adjustable carbon wing with aluminum risers/stands. VERY happy with the performance of it + my vented hood. Feels pretty balanced
I really like the wing and how it came out, well done! Could you shoot me a PM with the specific parts list, I'd love to have a crack at fabbing this setup myself. Unfortunately I'm on east coast, and my season is over for the winter. So it just gives me more time to squander my earnings away on aero and other tidbits. I'm intending on trying out the MKAH motorsports rear diffuser they sell for e36 fitment. I've contacted them and he said it can be a relatively easy fit they think with a little 'knowhow.'

Bummer to see what just happened, hope you get her sorted out in time for your next event.

GL
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #64
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1wheelieforfun View Post
Quote:

I really like the wing and how it came out, well done! Could you shoot me a PM with the specific parts list, I'd love to have a crack at fabbing this setup myself. Unfortunately I'm on east coast, and my season is over for the winter. So it just gives me more time to squander my earnings away on aero and other tidbits. I'm intending on trying out the MKAH motorsports rear diffuser they sell for e36 fitment. I've contacted them and he said it can be a relatively easy fit they think with a little 'knowhow.'

Bummer to see what just happened, hope you get her sorted out in time for your next event.

GL
I ghetto rolled the fender and it actually ran a 2:05 with the bent arm/rim but had some issues under braking and the didn't want to risk it after noticing the damage. I have spares of most parts at home so the car will be fine for next weekend.

I'd be willing to fab it up for you if you're interested, I'll PM you when I'm home from the track

In other, more positive news... I'm picking up a trailer this week after testing some out over the past few months. Very Stoked!!
      12-04-2017, 12:23 AM   #65
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Ran Buttonwillow again today, I got more than one session in which is always good. Haha I've run there more this month than my entire track life.... Strange weather out there with the first run temps hovering around 38* which was really odd as even my street tires needed to be warmed up for a lap. Car ran great mechanically but like many on the M3 forum have learned, unbalanced aero is worse than no aero... Few insights / observations below:

I was running consistent 2:02s all day on a OTS 93 Oct map and my rear "APR" wing, I noticed I could power on earlier but my top speeds suffered and my high speed braking was AWFUL with the balance of the car. I pulled the rear wing and ran a 2:00 flat immediately on the Federal RSRR tires, this was the last run of the day (sooo close to 1:59 lol) - Would love to get a balanced aero package on the car as most folks say that it'll drop 2-3 seconds off a 2min lap time (Assuming it's dialed in)

Two other excuses that held me back most of the day.... Someone dialed my RF rebound way up and kept LF rebound as-is which was not helping my understeer or turn in (dick move whoever did this) and I need more rear camber, maxed at 1.5ish...

Next project is a decent front splitter and maybe a small rear wing, regardless - probably going aero-less for now until I can figure out a solution which might be a 1M front-end

I also got a half cage installed in the car for some "safety"
Attached Images

Matticus913469.50
      12-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #66
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

So you effectively gained 2secs ONLY by removing the rear wing?

I’ll be honest; maybe getting the car sorted without aero would be good and then when you are at the limits; add aero. The problem you may run into is; not knowing what to change since there are so many changes. Not being a dick either. Great progress!

Any videos?
Appreciate 0