04-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #67
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
The front of my car had ott panel gaps which i asked BMW to Fix. however they plugged in the ecu to find that the car had been travelling in excess of the 155mph it was limited too (used to have the limiter kick in at an indicated 167mph).
Once they found this out they, said this was the reason for the panel gaps around the headlights and fenders etc...
I had my bodyshop take the fenders off etc and re allign which has made a difference.
Im not of the opinion that the hood will pop up at speed but the front end is not aerodynamic and the air has to go somewhere...

cheers Jamie
It is absurd what BMW service said; all 1Ms are limited "in excess of 155mph", it is not any owner's fault or choice, it is simply a misinformation of the BMW as a manufacturer for whatever reason that they found it necessary to go that way. Mine is limited at 266 km/h (165 mph) according to P3Cars gauge which mimics many other reports from different parts of the World.

You should maybe ask them to point a modern M car which is "actually" limited to 155mph

Totally agree about the aero/front end of the car comment of yours by the way.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #68
Berra
Private
Rep
Drives: at warp speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
The front of my car had ott panel gaps which i asked BMW to Fix. however they plugged in the ecu to find that the car had been travelling in excess of the 155mph it was limited too (used to have the limiter kick in at an indicated 167mph).
Once they found this out they, said this was the reason for the panel gaps around the headlights and fenders etc...
I had my bodyshop take the fenders off etc and re allign which has made a difference.
Im not of the opinion that the hood will pop up at speed but the front end is not aerodynamic and the air has to go somewhere...

cheers Jamie
Thank you for your input, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #69
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berra View Post
my plan is/was to run at least 500 hp in the 1M which will push the car over 186 mph. I don't wanna sit there in the car doing 186+ mph and waiting for the hood to fly open...
Is there any way of fixing this?
Options:
  • "doing 186+ mph/300+ kph": drive at a speed which is less excessive for this type of car;
  • retrofit hood pins or hood latches (if available);
  • retrofit the MotoGP Safety Car hood (if available): carbon fibre-reinforced bonnet featuring additional large air vents (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...46&postcount=1)
  • look for another car
Name:  1M_MotoGP_Hood1.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  71.0 KB
Name:  1M_MotoGP_Hood2.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  51.0 KB

Hesitated, but finally added this topic the the 1M issues log sticky for information purposes (as it actually is a normal phenomenon rather than an issue):
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1
      08-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #70
Berra
Private
Rep
Drives: at warp speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Options:
  • "doing 186+ mph/300+ kph": drive at a speed which is less excessive for this type of car;
  • retrofit hood pins or hood latches (if available);
  • retrofit the MotoGP Safety Car hood (if available): carbon fibre-reinforced bonnet featuring additional large air vents (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...46&postcount=1)
  • look for another car

Hesitated, but finally added this topic the the 1M issues log sticky for information purposes (as it actually is a normal phenomenon rather than an issue):
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1
I wonīt get anything else, have considered a GT-R but after 5+ years with the M5 E60, I want to shift gears myself.

Problem is that I till havenīt been able to get hold of one, there are a total of 4 on sale as we speak, pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #71
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I wonīt get anything else, have considered a GT-R but after 5+ years with the M5 E60, I want to shift gears myself.
Problem is that I till havenīt been able to get hold of one, there are a total of 4 on sale as we speak, pisses me off.
Keep looking and for sure you'll find one someday.

Also consider the forthcoming M2 (Winter 2015-2016): that puppy might tick a lot of boxes on the wish list as total package. That new kid in town will likely start to make the competition a little nervous. No doubt, a manual transmission will be made available.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=577
      08-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #72
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:

DON"T get the GTR, I got rid of mine after 5yrs, since I got the 1M, the gtr been sitting in the garage for over year and a half. Finally trade it in for a 911 with MT. Thats how much the 1M influence me.

As for the hood, I feel confident about it, haven't driven fast enough to worry about it, no lift up to 120 mph, and we don't drive that fast out on public roads anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #73
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Guys, I really would not loose any sleep over the hood lift at high speeds. Its just the way our cars are made/designed. The bouncing hood is teh last thing I am looking at - when I am driving at Warp7+.

I drive a lot at very high speeds here in Germany. 285 kph via GPS is my personal(best) record. But I know my car can do a little bit more... just need a more empty Autobahn and some larger "balls" on my part. I'm told 293 to 296 kph is the 1er's aero V-max limit.

I think BMW knows they might have made a design error with the 1er hood. This is why the F2x/F3x's hood has two latches AND you have to pull TWICE in order to open the hood!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #74
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
no lift up to 120 mph
Check the video posted earlier in this thread of an 135i accelerating.

08-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #75
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I drive a lot at very high speeds here in Germany. 285 kph via GPS is my personal(best) record. But I know my car can do a little bit more... just need a more empty Autobahn and some larger "balls" on my part. I'm told 293 to 296 kph is the 1er's aero V-max limit.
Beware Dackel, because those are 'take-off' speeds. I recall that a decade or so ago a Porsche GT2 'summersaulted' on a Belgian highway. A little bump at high speed and the car went airborne. Both inside (race drivers on their way to the Spa-Francorchamps circuit) had no chance of survival. As we know, high velocity speeding also puts the tires to the test (apart from straining the mechanical parts).

As also several others experienced, the 1er/1M starts to feel rather twitchy and bouncy at speeds above 240 km/h. It's a nimble car, no tank.

08-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #76
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
i still remember the day i was watching this race live on TV when this happened......i think my jaw dropped to the floor. lol!! was totally shocked.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #77
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
As also several others experienced, the 1er/1M starts to feel rather twitchy and bouncy at speeds above 240 km/h. It's a nimble car, no tank.
That might be true on the stock suspension (I wouldn't know) but I'm definitely not having that sensation on my KW V3 suspended 1M. It is kinda scary up there though
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:39 AM   #78
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
This is true on stock suspension, over 240 km/h the car does not feel stable and safe anymore.

Thats why I had it changed for the JRZ-RS1 suspension....

- Not bouncy
- Very compliant at all speeds, top speed no problem what so ever.
- Almost 0 body roll while hard cornering
- Almost 0 nose diving while emergency braking

For a minor investment it`s a hell of an improvement .
Appreciate 0