BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #23
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
ya'll a bunch of soft cocks, why not get ya mum to drive it for ya while your at it

imho turn it all off, this is a challenge of you AND car against the track. Plus when i have left DTC on (one push of the button) the engine management is tooooo keen to cut power which again imho is much more dangerous than 'feeling' the car start to GO and change your driving style/line accordingly, after all isn't that the fun/challenge in getting it right?

Sure you have the chance of losing it, but if thats what your worried about don't go to the track.

lol Pav your a man of your word, i've got some good footage of you doing just that with those crappy rear tyres you had on at EC

IMHO a good set of tyres is essential, as good as having traction control on. i highly recommend semi slicks or something as good for track days then slowly take the nannies off.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
lol Pav your a man of your word, i've got some good footage of you doing just that with those crappy rear tyres you had on at EC

IMHO a good set of tyres is essential, as good as having traction control on. i highly recommend semi slicks or something as good for track days then slowly take the nannies off.
post the footage

i figure i should be able to drive the car with worn streets and get a good line before i get extra grip that will mask bad driving lines and as you saw i still need some improving.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #25
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Plus when i have left DTC on (one push of the button) the engine management is tooooo keen to cut power which again imho is much more dangerous than 'feeling' the car start to GO and change your driving style/line accordingly, after all isn't that the fun/challenge in getting it right?
This. DTC is still too keen to cut the power when track driving. Although, after doing a wet track night on Wednesday I am definitely faster in the wet with DTC on than in TIMYOYO mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #26
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
This. DTC is still too keen to cut the power when track driving. Although, after doing a wet track night on Wednesday I am definitely faster in the wet with DTC on than in TIMYOYO mode.
I don't know if any of you remember these shirts from a few years back..
Attached Images

Last edited by Zuzu; 12-13-2012 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
post the footage

i figure i should be able to drive the car with worn streets and get a good line before i get extra grip that will mask bad driving lines and as you saw i still need some improving.

i think you went pretty hard with those tyres and that stinking hot track. if i can work out how to post video i will put it up. the position of the camera was pretty average however.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #28
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
I don't know if any of you remember these shirts from a few years back..
Love it hahaha. I was wondering what that meant.
      12-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #29
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
ya'll a bunch of soft cocks, why not get ya mum to drive it for ya while your at it

imho turn it all off, this is a challenge of you AND car against the track. Plus when i have left DTC on (one push of the button) the engine management is tooooo keen to cut power which again imho is much more dangerous than 'feeling' the car start to GO and change your driving style/line accordingly, after all isn't that the fun/challenge in getting it right?

Sure you have the chance of losing it, but if thats what your worried about don't go to the track.
So if it's car against track and we are all soft, why upgrade to big breaks, non run flats, KW's and M3 suspension - isn't it all part of the same game. Some people keep the nannies on to inspire confidence others bolt on mods?

Last edited by Wrniknbl; 12-14-2012 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #30
uds135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i n55

i found that kickback is the scariest thing about getting sideways in the 1er. Even in TIMYOYO mode to catch a slide you require very minimal countersteering compared to cars with a longer wheelbase imo. I had a few scares initially but its not that bad when you get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #31
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrniknbl
Quote:

So if it's car against track and we are all soft, why upgrade to big breaks, non run flats, KW's and M3 suspension - isn't it all part of the same game. Some people keep the nannies on to inspire confidence others bolt on mods?
Ahhhh simple I'm the one in control not a piece of software driving the car.
Appreciate 0