BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #45
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

. . . current timeline for that is sometime between now and the heat death of the universe

I'll give it 3.5 years
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:13 PM   #46
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Went from stock to MT-LV this time last year and it made a slight difference in the 1 -> 2 shift for the first couple days. Either the magic wore off of I got used to it. Leaning towards the latter. Was hoping it'd be night and day like the CDV delete but no dice.
The effect wore off for me as well. It's still slightly better than any other oil I have used, but it's not the slick shifting I noticed immediately after the changeover. It wasn't just changing out the oil that caused the improved shifting because I had already changed oil thrice and the oil I had in there was only 6 months old. I'm assuming this transmission once shifted smoothly with little effort because the 3-4-5-6 shifts are buttery smooth.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:44 PM   #47
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
The effect wore off for me as well. It's still slightly better than any other oil I have used, but it's not the slick shifting I noticed immediately after the changeover. It wasn't just changing out the oil that caused the improved shifting because I had already changed oil thrice and the oil I had in there was only 6 months old. I'm assuming this transmission once shifted smoothly with little effort because the 3-4-5-6 shifts are buttery smooth.
Glad I'm not the only one that struggles with the lower gears cause I've owned this car for almost 3 years now and it still constantly makes me question my ability to drive stick. Thing is as smooth as a train wreck if I don't baby the hell outta the shift into 2 and 3, and that's even after deleting the CDV, filling w/ MT-LV, and installing a Dinan SSK, ZHP knob, Rogue trans mounts, and a clutch stop.

I'm more inclined to think that our cars (at least the 128i) got the Getrag bargain bin special (which I'll gladly take over a slushbox any day) rather than the trans wearing over time cause I'm sure there'd have been some sort of recall or legal action taken if that were the case.

On a side note, I have found that giving 'er a few more beans in 1st leads to slightly smoother shifts. Used to almost always shift at 3k but noticed some improvement (or a placebo) when shifting out of first at around 3.5k instead.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 05:26 PM   #48
SKI-R
Working towards usefulness
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i, Tundra, B8S4

Chassis mount the shifter + MTLV = problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 06:09 PM   #49
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
the 128i
Ahh, yeah, there's a thing people should remember. 2 different manuals, depending on 128i vs 135i.

When making comparisons / descriptions we should keep it in mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #50
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
My guess is that the differences would stick out more in the winter, especially for those of us in the northern states / Canada. Maybe the opposite i.e. a track day in the summer. For normal driving in normal temps they're probably all pretty good and I wouldn't think feel much different.
Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one that struggles with the lower gears cause I've owned this car for almost 3 years now and it still constantly makes me question my ability to drive stick. Thing is as smooth as a train wreck if I don't baby the hell outta the shift into 2 and 3, and that's even after deleting the CDV, filling w/ MT-LV, and installing a Dinan SSK, ZHP knob, Rogue trans mounts, and a clutch stop.

I'm more inclined to think that our cars (at least the 128i) got the Getrag bargain bin special (which I'll gladly take over a slushbox any day) rather than the trans wearing over time cause I'm sure there'd have been some sort of recall or legal action taken if that were the case.

On a side note, I have found that giving 'er a few more beans in 1st leads to slightly smoother shifts. Used to almost always shift at 3k but noticed some improvement (or a placebo) when shifting out of first at around 3.5k instead.
I don't have any crunchy shifts from 1 --> 2 at all on my '13 128 w/ 60k miles, at any RPM. Sounds like you need a rebuild to smooth things out. I usually shift at 3.5 to 4k rpm
Appreciate 1
Suprgnat2281.00
      11-01-2022, 07:25 PM   #51
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

If anyone reads this, who's done this, on a 135i...

What's the fill volume? I've read anywhere from 1.5 to 2 quarts.

I only got in about 1-1/4 quarts put back in before it was clearly spilling out of the top. I will admit I didn't let it drain forever, or give any pumps to flush it before putting back on the drain plug. The old stuff didn't have many miles and came out light brown / somewhat still see-through (MTF-LT2). But I didn't get anywhere near 2 qts of the new stuff put in, and 1.5 is doubtful as well.

Sound about right? And yeah I'm pretty sure (99%) I did get the right spot for it

Last edited by tracer bullet; 11-01-2022 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 01:07 PM   #52
GoldenWest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 230i, ‘17 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Regarding the 1-2 shift “effort”, I believe the effect is mostly due low 1st gear ratios; not minor oil viscosity differences. It’s like my old 60’s-70’s Alfa Romeos; the low first gear was referred to as “a stump puller”.

I also see experiences here on shifting ease and viscosity experiences are from owners of both 4 cycl. and 6 cyl. manual cars, where those cars and transmissions have very different oil requirements.
Case in point, I’m curious if any tried or uses the DCTF in 6 cyl. cars, which is Redline’s recommendation for 6 cylinder turbo 1 and 2 series. It’s a higher viscosity than D4, and much higher than D6; the oil recommended for manual 4cyl. 1 and 2 series turbo cars.

I use Redline drivetrain oils exclusively in my F48 x1, and manual 2020 230i (actually a 1 series).
Over the years I’ve spoken with the very helpful and informative Redline tech advisor many times, including this past week to confirm use of MT-LV (70W/75W) for the X1 transfer case and rear diff. HOC (Hang On Clutch).

Having seen this thread I mentioned some using D4 and MT-LV in 1 and 2 series 4 and 6 cyl. turbo manuals, and that I’ve always used D6 in my 4 cyl. turbo manual 230i. He said D4 is heavier than the D6 recommended for 4 cyl. cars, which has the same viscosity as MT-LV, but each have different additives packages.

I used D4 in all previous BMW manuals going back to my E39 and E60 5 series, then went from D4 to D6 in a E90 3 series manual, which benefited smoother shifting.
All the above transmissions were Getrag units stickered MTF-LT3.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 05:15 PM   #53
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-R View Post
Chassis mount the shifter + MTLV = problem solved.
How do you mount the shifter to the chassis?
I really need to change my shifty lube too...
      07-23-2023, 11:04 PM   #54
SKI-R
Working towards usefulness
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i, Tundra, B8S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOTM View Post
How do you mount the shifter to the chassis?
I really need to change my shifty lube too...
I used this: https://coolerworx.com/collections/b...er-bmw-regular, but there are other options.